LZ songs played live better than album version

MakeToesKurlyMan

always felt the better live versions of Sick Again blew away the studio version.....for the simple reason the studio version is the ONLY track I can think of???.....where I felt Jimmy's production / mix were both TERRIBLE......the absolute brilliance of his production and mixing skills is NOWHERE IN EVIDENCE for that one track......

‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’, ‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine’, ‘Black Mountain Side’ is obviously inferior to ‘White Summer/Black Mountain Side’ live. That’s all I can think of at the moment. 

There are definitely songs I like live equally to the album version, such as ‘Trampled Under Foot’ and ‘Kashmir’.

Edit: now that I think of it, I prefer most live versions of ‘Whole Lotta Love’ to the album track.

Edited by Mr. Mountain Hop

11 hours ago, Shaka63 said:

always felt the better live versions of Sick Again blew away the studio version.....for the simple reason the studio version is the ONLY track I can think of???.....where I felt Jimmy's production / mix were both TERRIBLE......the absolute brilliance of his production and mixing skills is NOWHERE IN EVIDENCE for that one track......

Sick Again was supposed to sound muddy, sludgy, and nasty to meet the theme of the song. Sick Again is one song they could never pull off live as one, it was too bright sounding live and two, it really needed a second guitarist playing rhythm during the solo. When Jimmy broke into the first solo, the song just felt thin and lacking live. I almost always skip SA live because of this.

The studio mix IMO is what made the song.

13 hours ago, Shaka63 said:

Woah, the live solo does NOT compare to the studio. I think they are pretty equal live though

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Sick Again was supposed to sound muddy, sludgy, and nasty to meet the theme of the song. Sick Again is one song they could never pull off live as one, it was too bright sounding live and two, it really needed a second guitarist playing rhythm during the solo. When Jimmy broke into the first solo, the song just felt thin and lacking live. I almost always skip SA live because of this.

The studio mix IMO is what made the song.

......I've always thought that was possibly the reason for the sludgy mix, to match the lyrical content.....if true, then it would be something that sounded like an interesting idea to do in theory but I still feel the result was GODAWFUL (sometimes a terrible production / mix IS the best way to go, Raw Power being the best example of that).....and the best live versions, which personally I feel happened in LA '77, don't sound THIN AT ALL TO ME.....not the 1st solo, any solo, ANY of it.....sounds MONSTROUS STRAIGHT THRU, unlike that studio version......

20 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I always enjoy the live versions of Sick Again, even if it's an off night for Jimmy simply because Bonham is usually tearing it up...

100%.......he was ALWAYS the star of this track.......they shoulda just kept the camera angle of Bonham for the ENTIRE Knebworth version of this on the Zeppelin Live DVD

3 minutes ago, 1998giventofly said:

Thank You is always absolutely terrific live, blows the studio version away. Likewise for Bring It On Home. How Many More Times is always a highlight too.

......the guitar solo on Thank You from March '70 Montreux.....one of the all-time greatest live solos by any guitarist.....

8 minutes ago, Shaka63 said:

......the guitar solo on Thank You from March '70 Montreux.....one of the all-time greatest live solos by any guitarist.....

Right? I'd love to hear the version from RAH '70 too, the little snippet we do have makes it seem like that was going to be an INCREDIBLE version of it.

19 minutes ago, Shaka63 said:

Orlando '71 is my favourite Thank You, but Montreux is a great version too and an overall phenomenal show!  Can't wait to listen on the 50th anniversary in a few weeks!

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

It would be a more interesting list to see what studio versions fans prefer over a good well recorded live version.

I *Do Not* / *Will not* listen to the studio versions of:

Kashmir
TSRTS
No Quarter
OTHAFA
SIBLY
IS

SIBLY? Maaaaan that's HARSH. made me LOL...

Each to their own.

In this vein...

The studio HMMT is equal to the live ones even though the live ones are so damn good. I think the original studio version is absolutely genius. Closing out the first album with this is so EPIC - and to think this was their first LP!

I also think SIBLY is equal to the live ones with the exception of a few of the '73 ones with the wild intro's. The BBC Sessions version is equal to the MSG version. It is quite unique.

Black Country Woman - Studio for sure. Even if they played it in full - Studio wins hands down.