New Bloomington 75 Soundboard Snippets

ZepHead315

51 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

The 928 release cost what, $160 for the basic package? This includes the artwork, packaging and silvers. If we’re talking $150 each to crowd fund (possibly even more), I’m really wondering what the upside is for those involved? Seems like a fair bit of risk (see Pluribus’s comments) for a return that is not as good as a standard EV package. Makes me think the seller is attempting to get more than they usually do from EV. It’s a classic case of generating a bidding war. Just my opinion. 

Everything you said is valid 👍 

Another 1975 board at this point is redundant except for possibly The Wanton Song and Levee.   Beyond that not much appeal since we have nearly the whole tour in amazing quality.  If I were the seller I’d unload it fast and cheap

6 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Another 1975 board at this point is redundant except for possibly The Wanton Song and Levee.   Beyond that not much appeal since we have nearly the whole tour in amazing quality.  If I were the seller I’d unload it fast and cheap

Another very very good point. 

Also, I may be wrong, and my memory may be playing tricks on me (particularly as it was a Friday night, I'd had a few G and T's and i was pretty tired)....but before the RO website closed the thread to non-members, I could have sworn there was a link in there that included the Wanton Song in its entirety (I think it may have been that Zepster guy that posted it). Am I wrong? 

And while we're on the subject....what do you have to do to get onto RO....donate your first born? 

17 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Another very very good point. 

Also, I may be wrong, and my memory may be playing tricks on me (particularly as it was a Friday night, I'd had a few G and T's and i was pretty tired)....but before the RO website closed the thread to non-members, I could have sworn there was a link in there that included the Wanton Song in its entirety (I think it may have been that Zepster guy that posted it). Am I wrong? 

And while we're on the subject....what do you have to do to get onto RO....donate your first born? 

It was a sample but I don’t think the entire song.

If we were talking Seattle 1972 or Central Park 1969 with sound then sure that would be reasonable but for another 1975 board....nah...

Cant anyone join there?  

Edited by Sticks of Fire

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I disagree, there's still the 3-12 Long Beach show, which is almost as good as Seattle, if not better;  it's an all-time great show.  There's various moments from the LA shows which are definitely worth hearing on a board (NQ on the 2nd night, DC on the 3rd, etc.)  And who knows, maybe they have Philly as well, Page was almost 73-like in his fluidity that night (at least on the audience tape).  I am looking forward to these shows far more than any January shows, when we know the band was very rusty and in bad shape.  

2 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I disagree, there's still the 3-12 Long Beach show, which is almost as good as Seattle, if not better;  it's an all-time great show.  There's various moments from the LA shows which are definitely worth hearing on a board (NQ on the 2nd night, DC on the 3rd, etc.)  And who knows, maybe they have Philly as well, Page was almost 73-like in his fluidity that night (at least on the audience tape).  I am looking forward to these shows far more than any January shows, when we know the band was very rusty and in bad shape.  

Maybe I should have been more clear, forking over $20K for an early 1975 board seems off.   Yes I agree, I’d love to have 3/12/75 and the 3 LA shows in SB quality.   

Interesting to come across this post from a couple years back. I believe the tape holder referred to here is the daughter of a Showco employee who passed away a while ago, and she was looking for buyers at the time of a load of tapes, and memorabilia from many bands. Someone here may know more about it. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:49 AM, porgie66 said:

Interesting to come across this post from a couple years back. I believe the tape holder referred to here is the daughter of a Showco employee who passed away a while ago, and she was looking for buyers at the time of a load of tapes, and memorabilia from many bands. Someone here may know more about it. 

Nice find.. we coulda had it a long time ago 

8 minutes ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

didnt she say 3 la 77' tapes?

The thing is if this person has these I doubt they are the originals so that means somebody else has them too and if one of those people sell the other person is going to make nothing a smart seller would get rid of the stuff as fast as possible for a decent price.

7 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

The thing is if this person has these I doubt they are the originals so that means somebody else has them too and if one of those people sell the other person is going to make nothing a smart seller would get rid of the stuff as fast as possible for a decent price.

Exactly.  Fingers crossed for 6/22 and 6/26 being two of the three!

• 5 months later...

So back in the late 90s I worked in radio in Hartford, CT and sold a carload of my station's old reel to reel master tapes that I had transferred to DAT to a tape collector in Washington, DC.  Guy had a ridiculous reel to reel setup and was a bigtime collector, he spent 3 grand on the tapes I sold him.  During our meeting to exchange the tapes he started asking me if I knew anything about Zeppelin and live recordings (it was, unknown to him, my specialty).  He was more a of Dead guy, where basically all of their shows were recorded and available for trade.  He told me of a fellow named "Arizona Bob" (or something like that, my memory isn't the best) who had worked on Zeppelin's crew and had recorded all of the 1975 and 1977 shows to reel.  He was looking to sell the collection to one buyer and was asking somewhere north of 25k for it.  He asked if I thought it was a good deal.  I nearly shit my pants and told him that those shows did not exist - nothing was available besides the Dallas show at that point, which was incomplete also.  He said he had recieved some snippets of the shows and they were in fact real.  I said without a doubt he should buy them.  Months later I contacted the guy and he told me someone had outbid him, and that was the last I heard of it.  Then a few years later all the '75 and '77 boards start showing up...  So they are out there.  

On 2/21/2020 at 4:48 AM, zeplz71 said:

I heard rumors a while ago this Wanton Song source is incomplete on the soundboard. There might also be an audience source.

That doesn't make sense.

The setlist for the first few shows ran as follows...

Brussels 1-12: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, Levee, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, IMTOD, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

Chicago 1-20: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, Levee, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, MD, IMTOD, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

Chicago 1-22: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, IMTOD, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, MD, HMMT, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

As you can see, "When the Levee Breaks" was the fourth song in the set until it was dropped by January 22 Chicago. While "The Wanton Song" was always after "Kashmir" until it, too, was dropped by February. January 18 Bloomington is probably exactly like January 20 Chicago. On the Brussels and 1.20 Chicago tape, "When the Levee Breaks" starts around the 15-16-minute mark and ends by the 26-minute mark, while "The Wanton Song" starts at 47-48 minutes and ends at the 52-minute mark. On the 1.22 Chicago tape, "Wanton Song" covers the 50-54-minute mark.

So whether Showco used C60, C90 or C120 tapes, both "When the Levee Breaks" and "The Wanton Song" should be uncut. A C60 would not have to be flipped until after "Levee", and a C90 would not have to be flipped until after "Kashmir". "When the Levee Breaks" would be unscathed on either a C60, C90 or C120 tape.

After flipping a C60 after "Levee" was over, "Wanton Song" would still end before the second side ran out of tape. If it was a C90, as long as the guy at the desk flipped the tape immediately after "Kashmir" then "Wanton" should be complete on the soundboard as well. And if it was a C120, then both "Levee" and "Wanton" should be uncut as both songs were performed before the 60-minute mark.

So, the only way we should not have full complete "When the Levee Breaks" and "The Wanton Song" on this Bloomington soundboard is through gross negligence and/or incompetence.

16 minutes ago, Strider said:

That doesn't make sense.

The setlist for the first few shows ran as follows...

Brussels 1-12: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, Levee, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, IMTOD, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

Chicago 1-20: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, Levee, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, MD, IMTOD, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

Chicago 1-22: R & R, SA, OTHAFA, IMTOD, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir, Wanton, NQ, TUF, MD, HMMT, Stairway, WLL, BD, CB

As you can see, "When the Levee Breaks" was the fourth song in the set until it was dropped by January 22 Chicago. While "The Wanton Song" was always after "Kashmir" until it, too, was dropped by February. January 18 Bloomington is probably exactly like January 20 Chicago. On the Brussels and 1.20 Chicago tape, "When the Levee Breaks" starts around the 15-16-minute mark and ends by the 26-minute mark, while "The Wanton Song" starts at 47-48 minutes and ends at the 52-minute mark. On the 1.22 Chicago tape, "Wanton Song" covers the 50-54-minute mark.

So whether Showco used C60, C90 or C120 tapes, both "When the Levee Breaks" and "The Wanton Song" should be uncut. A C60 would not have to be flipped until after "Levee", and a C90 would not have to be flipped until after "Kashmir". "When the Levee Breaks" would be unscathed on either a C60, C90 or C120 tape.

After flipping a C60 after "Levee" was over, "Wanton Song" would still end before the second side ran out of tape. If it was a C90, as long as the guy at the desk flipped the tape immediately after "Kashmir" then "Wanton" should be complete on the soundboard as well. And if it was a C120, then both "Levee" and "Wanton" should be uncut as both songs were performed before the 60-minute mark.

So, the only way we should not have full complete "When the Levee Breaks" and "The Wanton Song" on this Bloomington soundboard is through gross negligence and/or incompetence.

They were done on C120 tapes.  If the sound guy started the tape several minutes early it was just bad luck Side A ran out during The Wanton Song. 

5 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

They were done on C120 tapes.  If the sound guy started the tape several minutes early it was just bad luck Side A ran out during The Wanton Song. 

Yes, and it was the first date, maybe the bloke was careless or new or high or whatever , and got shit for his error that night....or not.