Osaka 1971 Soundboards - Song by Song

John M

Osaka 1971 Soundboards - Song by Song  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Since I've Been Loving You: Which version do you prefer?

• 9-28-71
    • 9-29-71
  2. 2. Dazed and Confused: Which version do you prefer?

• 9-28-71
    • 9-29-71

The 9-28 and 9-29 soundboard releases have only a few songs in common.  I have been thinking about making a compilation using one song from each concert.  For  each song in common on the two soundboard releases, which one do you prefer?  I know that some people will prefer the sound on one date or another, but since both sound so good I am focusing mostly on the performance quality.  I am leaving out Heartbreaker because the first part is missing on 9-28, which is a pity because what is there is absolutely stunning. 

I will start here with the first two songs in common.  As I try to decide for myself I find a bit of "recency bias".  I find myself initially preferring the 9-28 versions, but mostly because they are new to me - I have listened to the 9-29 soundboard many times and have become very familiar with those versions.

12 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

Since it's not up there, I'd personally cast my vote for the 928 Stairway.

Thanks.  I wanted to put all five songs in the poll, but it seems a single post is limited to 4 poll questions.  I can put the remaining songs (Stairway, What Is, Moby Dick) in another poll.

Just to comment about recent soundboard, it was great to hear a seriously inspired "sibly"  and  "sth"

They drifted far away from the original inspirations as the decade went on. They could have left those songs as monumental pieces, by not overplaying them. Maybe plant and page should have not played "sibly" in the 90s also. Why not leave it as a strong blues epic of the 70s and move on to variety live...as their records represented in zep and post zep

15 hours ago, John M said:

Thanks.  I wanted to put all five songs in the poll, but it seems a single post is limited to 4 poll questions.  I can put the remaining songs (Stairway, What Is, Moby Dick) in another poll.

Gotcha! I actually prefer the 928 versions for all three of those songs as well. As for Dazed, the one from 929 is a hair better than its 928 counterpart. Both are spectacular performances, but the Pennies from Heaven snippet puts 929 on top, at least for me.

1 hour ago, kirchzep27 said:

Just to comment about recent soundboard, it was great to hear a seriously inspired "sibly"  and  "sth"

They drifted far away from the original inspirations as the decade went on. They could have left those songs as monumental pieces, by not overplaying them. Maybe plant and page should have not played "sibly" in the 90s also. Why not leave it as a strong blues epic of the 70s and move on to variety live...as their records represented in zep and post zep

Agreed! I would've loved to see P&P give Tea for One some run instead of SIBLY. Seems like it would lend itself really well to the orchestral accompaniment. 

4 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

Agreed! I would've loved to see P&P give Tea for One some run instead of SIBLY. Seems like it would lend itself really well to the orchestral accompaniment. 

They did! Haven’t you heard the Japan boots?