Hats Off to Led Zeppelin Boots/Led Zeppelin Rarities

Strider

If you go down the YouTube rabbit-hole I am sure you have encountered the multiple uploads of Led Zeppelin Boots and Led Zeppelin Rarities. This is a wonderful service to the Zeppelin community, as it allows one to check out shows and various sources before committing to buy a particular show, if one should be inclined.

It also allows one to enjoy live Zeppelin on the way to and from work or school without carrying a bunch of cds and cd player around. I can just plug in my headphones into my phone and I am magically transported back in time to the 1970s.

My question is this: Are Led Zeppelin Boots and Led Zeppelin Rarities the same person? Are they members here at the Forum?

Bonus question: Who do you think does the best remasters...Winston, Grame, Pseudonym aka Sue Dounim, or Lirodendron?

Edited by Strider

Led Zeppelin Boots is ZepHead315 on this forum. 

He is, without a doubt, the best LZ channel on YouTube. I love how he has reached a whole new generation who may not have heard Zep’s greatest moments on stage before. 

There’s also a lot of unique shows he brings to the table. Case in point... two of the very first full shows he uploaded to his channel were Baltimore 1973 (which is not available on many torrent sites) and the audience source of Seattle 1977 rather than the old video source. 

To answer your second question, while everyone you named has done some fantastic remasters (making it hard to single-out one of them), Lirodendron has probably worked the best magic on soundboards that are the most dull-sounding. A compilation he did of the 1973 tour contains Stairway from 5/31 and Thank You from 7/29. These two shows are amongst the worst soundboards from the tour but he made the respective songs from them shine. I’d love to hear these full shows remastered by him. 

37 minutes ago, William Austin said:

He is, without a doubt, the best LZ channel on YouTube. I love how he has reached a whole new generation who may not have heard Zep’s greatest moments on stage before. 

There’s also a lot of unique shows he brings to the table. Case in point... two of the very first full shows he uploaded to his channel were Baltimore 1973 (which is not available on many torrent sites) and the audience source of Seattle 1977 rather than the old video source. 

To answer your second question, while everyone you named has done some fantastic remasters (making it hard to single-out one of them), Lirodendron has probably worked the best magic on soundboards that are the most dull-sounding. A compilation he did of the 1973 tour contains Stairway from 5/31 and Thank You from 7/29. These two shows are amongst the worst soundboards from the tour but he made the respective songs from them shine. I’d love to hear these full shows remastered by him. 

Great reply! Thanks for the info William Austin.

A toast to ZepHead315! 🍻

4 hours ago, William Austin said:

If you could provide a link to the remaster of thank you from the 29th I’d be very grateful 

You are all too kind! :)

I'm glad to provide these shows to a larger audience. My goal from pretty much the beginning has been to present the most complete and/or best sounding versions of every show possible. I've generally found that fan remasters or raw transfers tend to provide the highest sound quality as opposed to boot releases (although there are definitely exceptions). Occasionally I upload rarer versions of shows. In addition to the Seattle audience recording, I recently upped the audience recording of Landover 5/28/77 which in my opinion is FAR superior to the soundboard in terms of enjoyment. 

As to who provides the best remasters, I'd have to agree with William Austin. Liriodendron consistently amazes me with how he is able to take flat, dry soundboards and transform them into something approaching official release quality. His remasters of Frankfurt 80 and Landover 5/30 (among others) are superb examples of this. Grame is also fantastic with the 75 soundboards. I'd add two more names to that list: Dadgad and Nite Owl.

Dadgad has a serious knack for taking shitty audience tapes and improving them in the best way possible. He also does great work with the 73 US soundboards. Nite Owl specializes in matrices, and he's right up there with Bluecongo in terms of how well he combines multiple sources. His versions of 4/27/69 and Blueberry Hill are easily the definitive versions of said shows. 

Really the props should go to those who put in such hard work to give us these remasters and transfers. I'm just putting them out there.

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

If you could provide a link to the remaster of thank you from the 29th I’d be very grateful 

PM sent.

15 hours ago, Strider said:

Bonus question: Who do you think does the best remasters...Winston, Grame, Pseudonym aka Sue Dounim, or Lirodendron?

For me it is close call between Grame and Liriodendron  .  Both of the them produce versions that really bring out the bass and I very much enjoy that, plus they get an excellent drum sound which is key for me.  I also think that Northbridge has done outstanding work on 1977 boards (e.g., The Past is In Our Souls, and How the Time Flies), and if you get a chance check out JRK remasters.

All of these folks do outstanding work and all of them are a treasure to fans like me who do not have the time, patience, expertise and skill to do this type of work.