Tokyo 1971.9.23 footage

Amazing this footage surfaced of one my favorite concerts!!  It’s so exciting watching Bonham Jones snd Page tear through the songs and Plant wailing away on top of it all.   Seeing Bonham on 🔥 made me smile.

Exactly how I have always wanted to see live footage of the band.  A single framed shot of the stage with longer clips.

i hope one day we get all of it and someone remasters it.   

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Wow! What a pleasant surprise. My main observation here is that we clearly have two different filming sources in this video. One source which is contained only during the first 9 minutes is a wonderful high quality filming with camera on a tripod in lock down position with the occasional smooth slow zoom. The rest is an amateurish hand held camera which is a blurry, shaky dark mess from a slightly different POV. This contrast is most evident during D&C when they transition between the two camera sources in real time. Imagine viewing the bulk of this concert in the in the kind of quality captured during the first 9 minutes here? Ya' never know...

That being said, the first 9 minutes is...without a doubt...a Holy Grail. 

11 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Amazing this footage surfaced of one my favorite concerts!!  It’s so exciting watching Bonham Jones snd Page tear through the songs and Plant wailing away on top of it all.   Seeing Bonham on 🔥 made me smile.

Exactly how I have always wanted to see live footage of the band.  A single framed shot of the stage with longer clips.

i hope one day we get all of it and someone remasters it.   

Totally agreed. The GOD shot! 

this footage hit me yesterday morning in exactly the same way I was knocked sideways back in October '88,

when at the first major Led Zeppelin convention just outside NYC, they premiered both the 2/72 Australia footage and

the 3/75 LA footage......only I like this even better because this is ALL FOUR OF THEM FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS

(guess Australia '72 was as well but the SONG SELECTION HERE, JEEEEZE!!!).....this

INSTANTLY became my favorite audience footage, especially the off-angle tripod sections not to mention the ridiculous

sound quality.......better STILL.....there's obviously a LOT MORE FOOTAGE hopefully to come out......BlindWillie127 is

RIGHT ON THE MONEY......we're talking HOLY GRAIL here!!!

23 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Wow! What a pleasant surprise. My main observation here is that we clearly have two different filming sources in this video. One source which is contained only during the first 9 minutes is a wonderful high quality filming with camera on a tripod in lock down position with the occasional smooth slow zoom. The rest is an amateurish hand held camera which is a blurry, shaky dark mess from a slightly different POV. This contrast is most evident during D&C when they transition between the two camera sources in real time. Imagine viewing the bulk of this concert in the in the kind of quality captured during the first 9 minutes here? Ya' never know...

That being said, the first 9 minutes is...without a doubt...a Holy Grail. 

Yes, if you watch the left and right edges of the film, at the :27 mark, you can see the shakier footage overlaid on top of the steady (tripod) shot footage and it switches back and forth a couple times.  I’m guessing the filmer and his friend were sitting next to each other and both shooting film at the same time.   

Edited by Sticks of Fire

:notworthy:

Manna from Heaven. Happy birthday to me...and Happy Christmas, too! It's all the holidays and the Super Bowl wrapped into one.

i love the guy in the Youtube comments complaining about the darkness. What a jerk. It's guys like that that probably keep the hoarders hoarding.

Edited by Strider

14 hours ago, Strider said:

:notworthy:

Manna from Heaven. Happy birthday to me...and Happy Christmas, too! It's all the holidays and the Super Bowl wrapped into one.

i love the guy in the Youtube comments complaining about the darkness. What a jerk. It's guys like that that probably keep the hoarders hoarding.

Well, happy birthday to a fellow Liverpool fan (incidentally, I am heading back to my hometown in a week and a half, and will see the Liverpool v Crystal Palace game, in which we might win the premiership). 

This footage is absolutely mind-blowing, the audio is excellent, too. It´safe to say that it isn´t the 5th source (First Attack Of The Rising Sun) and I don´t think it is the 7th source (Rock Carnival) either.

I hope the audio of the complete concert exists, it could be the best sounding source.

This video pops up out of the blue, nearly 49 years after..........unbelievable.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Well, happy birthday to a fellow Liverpool fan (incidentally, I am heading back to my hometown in a week and a half, and will see the Liverpool v Crystal Palace game, in which we might win the premiership). 

Good luck with that man. Could be off or behind closed doors. 

Footage is great especially Bonzo knocking 10 bells out of his kit 

3 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Footage is great especially Bonzo knocking 10 bells out of his kit 

Yeah that's my favorite part too.  Always a treat to see Bonzo at work.  Loved Jimmy's bow solo portion as well.  Crazy how they only captured snippets of most songs.... 

Edited by Walter

Fantastic Stuff!!

Was it a revelation to anyone else that Jimmy played Celebration Day on the double neck during this time period? It's a very short clip just before the acoustic set but that's Celebration Day. Perhaps as a matter of convenience since Stairway immediately preceded CD. Rather than swap out guitars and play CD on the Les Paul as he did later. Interesting!