Bron-Yr-Aur owner complains about Zep pilgrims

Are you for real? Next you will be telling them how to write their songs too. Why does it matter who sleeps where?

Zeppelin NEVER recorded at Bron-yr-aur, so I don't know what 'replica' studio you would put in there...Jimmy bought a 4 track recorder I think, thats all.

Chill, dude. It was a joke.

Have to agree with Aqua Nathan. It didn't become a place so many people want to make a pilgrimage to until much later. He chose to make it his residence and has the right to privacy. I know it's a disappointment if you want to see it but I don't think the guy is deliberately trying to be a jerk. Just my opinion...

But he owns the place, why shouldn't he live in it?? The point being that we can't expect him to share our associations, memories, etc. It's like if your house turned out to be the home of a variety of moth that fascinated moth-lovers, and they wanted to preserve it intact without human habitation, you'd say :P , I'm guessing? Like I say, I can see your side, but I can see his, too. It's a private residence, and there's no law that says he has to open it to the public if he doesn't want to, just because two members of some "pop group" stayed there briefly, decades ago.

Or maybe the vicar wants to prevent the atmosphere of the place from being totally altered by tourists stacked to the ceiling in sleeping bags waiting for their turn in the recording studio? :lol:

Edited to say I know it was the vicar you were calling stupid, no problem, I'm so big-headed it never occurred to me it might be me! :lol:

But he owns the place, why shouldn't he live in it?? The point being that we can't expect him to share our associations, memories, etc. It's like if your house turned out to be the home of a variety of moth that fascinated moth-lovers, and they wanted to preserve it intact without human habitation, you'd say :P , I'm guessing? Like I say, I can see your side, but I can see his, too. It's a private residence, and there's no law that says he has to open it to the public if he doesn't want to, just because two members of some "pop group" stayed there briefly, decades ago.

You make a very good point, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he's being smart.

Agree to disagree?

:beer:

Or maybe the vicar wants to prevent the atmosphere of the place from being totally altered by tourists stacked to the ceiling in sleeping bags waiting for their turn in the recording studio? :lol:

:P

Edited to say I know it was the vicar you were calling stupid, no problem, I'm so big-headed it never occurred to me it might be me! laugh.gif

*sigh of relief*

Good to know... :D

I feel better. :blush:

^Yes, he does...

I'm sorry, but I think this guy is an idiot.

The Led Zeppelin fandom is a community, a culture... maybe even a religion to some. Places like Bron-Yr-Aur are meccas.

I don't care when, how much, or why this guy bought Bron-Yr-Aur, but he should realize Zep fans want to see it. He should use that to his monetary advantage.

Too bad it's no longer a cottage and is now a real house.

If I could buy it I would knock the house down, get the original plans, and rebuild the cottage as it was.

But then, unless I'm very much mistaken, even the surrounding hills have been flattened and the over-all landscape changed.

The owner is an idiot. Sorry. I know my take may come across as selfish or short-sighted or whatever, but he's an idiot.

If I owned it, I would be making a crap-load of money off it. I would personally sponsor group trips to the cottage, where some sleep in the cottage and the rest camp outside, and it's rotated each night.

I'd even put in a replica of the recording studio Zep used and let people, for a cheap fee, make their own personal recordings.

Of course, sponsorships would be available to make the trip, and it would be treated as mecca.

The only change I would have made is a fence and security to keep out people who just showed up and criminals and such.

But that's just me... :D

I would NOT try desperately to turn it into a private residence. That's like buying out the Wailing Wall and trying to build a private residence on that while getting annoyed with all the Jews and others who come to pray (yes, I realize that can't be done, but I think it illustrates my point best). Stupid, stupid, stupid move. I always wanted to visit Bron-Yr-Aur, but now I can't because some "viccar" wants it all to himself?

Uh... no.

I almost agree with you word for word, Nathan, except for one vital thing.Led Zeppelin fans of today, in the greater scheme of things,of course mean nothing.We are dust.

What we are talking about here is heritage.Not to get all mystical or anything, but the Bron yr Aur site should have already, but eventually will, become a protected site.I believe that people will be going there in the year 2508 just as many still go to Stratford upon Avon in 2008.

And just like today there will be nothing left from Shakespeare's/Led Zeppelin's time, but just being there will inspire our descendants.

Maybe people in the future will be wondering if Zeppelin were a real four piece band or indeed a collection of the finest musicians of the late 20th Century, pooling their resources to create something truly remarkable!(they would not be far from the truth on that account!) Just like idiots today think that Shakespeare could not possibly have been just one person, and for precisely the same reasons!.They are that good, and that important!.

An interesting discussion.

Did the guy know he was buying into an historic landmark?

If not, who was his agent?

Nonetheless, as long as this is a private residence and not an historic landmark, the resident should have the right to privacy. Period.

If a million or so Led Zeppelin fans want to claim it as their own, let them raise the funds, and subsequently ruin it utterly. "Oh and here's where so-and-so shit when the walk was too far! Right by this beech tree.".

Or was it The Larch???

Leave it. Let the poor vicar raise some sheep in peace!!!!

An interesting discussion.

Did the guy know he was buying into an historic landmark?

No because apparently he bought it in 1972, when it wasn't such a well-known piece of Zepp history, and has just recently moved in upon retiring. According to the article anyway.

No because apparently he bought it in 1972, when it wasn't such a well-known piece of Zepp history, and has just recently moved in upon retiring. According to the article anyway.

Wow, I didn't know that it was under the same ownership for so long. I was under the impression it was under the caretakership of someone related to the band's interests.

There is a lot of land surrounding the cottage itself, I wonder if he owns that or if not, he should put a fence up and just let people see it from a distance and take a photograph of it, I am so glad I have all my photographs of the place as it was with the lucky horseshoe above the door, there is a right of way but that is at the back of the cottage, I don t know how you would get round to that part, the view is truly amazing, and exceptionally beautiful,I can see why Jimmy was inspired by that.

The cottage has changed so much with wooden windows taken out, and replaced by plastic ones, and also the fact there is an extension - it does not look the same as it was, and that is sad.

I think it's about the vibe of the location, not the state of the structure. I doubt that toilets and hot water would diminish the inspiration of the locale. Magic places are surprizingly impervious to the intrusions of man. Wild Wales will always be so, were it to be paved over utterly (god forbid).

I think it's about the vibe of the location, not the state of the structure. I doubt that toilets and hot water would diminish the inspiration of the locale. Magic places are surprizingly impervious to the intrusions of man. Wild Wales will always be so, were it to be paved over utterly (god forbid).

I agree. Yosemite valley is a magickal place even with a several thousand friggin' morons driving around it on a summer's day. :blink:

Pilgramages to Bron-Yr-Aur are self-limiting, anyway. It's not a trivial journey by rail or car, nor cheap if you don't live in England or Wales - then it's quite an uphill walk to the cottage. Until they put up a neon sign and a gondola, I think he doesn't have too much to worry about. :) Don't blame him for trying to dissuade people, though.

He should put a collection box at the "ruddy great boulder cemented into the ground" :D and donate the proceeds to his church.

Personally, I feel sorry for the guy. A private house is a private house. He didn't buy it as a tourist attraction.

That's exactly why I kept a polite distance when I went to visit it.

And to be honest, the awkwardness I felt at possibly invading on someone's privacy kinda got in the way of the magic a bit. It's a shame, but at least I've been there. Maybe one day it'll be different, but I certainly can't blame anyone for wanting to live there! It's beautiful.

Archived