Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
William Austin

HTEWW Compilation v1.0

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Nearly five years in the making...

How The East Was Won, my compilation of the legendary Osaka shows!

Way back in 2015, when I first became a hardcore Zep fan, I heard the Osaka shows for the first time and have dreamed since then of having both shows combined into the greatest live album ever. The first night I started working on it, I became a bit emotional knowing that one of my dream projects was finally coming together.

And now I'm finally finished and proud to share it with all of you!

About 75% of the music comes from the soundboard sources, which was as much as I could possibly do. The rest of it comes from the best sounding versions of the stage source I could find. The versions used for the 29th are Ledsox, Winston, and Wendy; the 28th is the LZ Rarities remaster, and I thank them all for their hard work!

As the soundboards sound a bit different from each other, all songs are the full version from the respective night I chose with the exception of Dazed and Confused. Most of the song is from the 29th, except the last 4 minutes which are from the 28th. I decided not to fill in the gap in the soundboard with the stage source since this section of the song was performed better on the 28th anyway.

There are one or two more songs I'd like to try and splice from both nights if the boards are ever remastered to sound as similar to each other as possible, but overall, this is at least 90% what I wanted the album to sound like almost from the very beginning. 

Hopefully v1.0 won't be the last (surely the rest of the WLL soundboard will show up sooner or later), but even if it is, I am very happy with it and I hope you enjoy it!

https://we.tl/t-lvnmoa8sEd

I will be sharing this on other music forums, but since this was the first LZ forum I joined, you saw it here first!

Edited by William Austin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whole lotta love is awesome, but i suggest splicing in hello marylou and tobbacco road, any other songs played those night, other than that, very very great listening experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mattius said:

Very Kind but why post Lossy MP3's & not FLAC????? 

 

I’ve just never mixed with FLAC because it takes up more space on my computer, and I was always expected to turn in audio projects in college as 256 MP3s. Sorry...

Glad you’re all enjoying it though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this---really fine work indeed! Last week I threw together the SDB tracks etc. from both nights, but you melded them skillfully, with audio and editing skills, and obvious passion. By the way, I think your WLL take is first rate, but of course there are other ways to cobble those two monsters together! Like everyone, I'd love to see a soundboard of WLL from any Japan '71 night. From my first silver CD boot of 9/29, years and years ago ("Smoke Gets In Yours Eyes"--Mad Dogs) I've been frustrated by the inconsistent sound of the aud. recordings. Anyway, thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, William Austin said:

I’ve just never mixed with FLAC because it takes up more space on my computer, and I was always expected to turn in audio projects in college as 256 MP3s. Sorry...

Glad you’re all enjoying it though!

OK, Thanks for this anyway!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow I will upload some FLAC files for those who would prefer that option. 

To further elaborate, I don't use FLAC very much because my iTunes (which is the main way I listen to music) cannot play FLAC or WAV files, so it's always MP3 for me. That's why FLAC didn't even really cross my mind to provide initially. It's just not on my radar much.

Am I correct in assuming most people here use FLAC to burn to CD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ya William, man oh man so many thanks for the work you put into this. It is all much appreciated. And MP3s are perfect for me cause I carry my worn out little mp3 player with me everywhere I go. 

GREAT work my friend. 

Wow that solo in Immigrant Song! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mattius said:

OK, Thanks for this anyway!

 

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. You must be a real hoot on Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, William Austin said:

Nearly five years in the making...

How The East Was Won, my compilation of the legendary Osaka shows!

Way back in 2015, when I first became a hardcore Zep fan, I heard the Osaka shows for the first time and have dreamed since then of having both shows combined into the greatest live album ever. The first night I started working on it, I became a bit emotional knowing that one of my dream projects was finally coming together.

And now I'm finally finished and proud to share it with all of you!

About 75% of the music comes from the soundboard sources, which was as much as I could possibly do. The rest of it comes from the best sounding versions of the stage source I could find. The versions used for the 29th are Ledsox, Winston, and Wendy; the 28th is the LZ Rarities remaster, and I thank them all for their hard work!

As the soundboards sound a bit different from each other, all songs are the full version from the respective night I chose with the exception of Dazed and Confused. Most of the song is from the 29th, except the last 4 minutes which are from the 28th. I decided not to fill in the gap in the soundboard with the stage source since this section of the song was performed better on the 28th anyway.

There are one or two more songs I'd like to try and splice from both nights if the boards are ever remastered to sound as similar to each other as possible, but overall, this is at least 90% what I wanted the album to sound like almost from the very beginning. 

Hopefully v1.0 won't be the last (surely the rest of the WLL soundboard will show up sooner or later), but even if it is, I am very happy with it and I hope you enjoy it!

https://we.tl/t-lvnmoa8sEd

I will be sharing this on other music forums, but since this was the first LZ forum I joined, you saw it here first!

This sounds amazing, thank you so much for all your hard work, it really paid off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2020 at 3:09 AM, William Austin said:

Tomorrow I will upload some FLAC files for those who would prefer that option. 

To further elaborate, I don't use FLAC very much because my iTunes (which is the main way I listen to music) cannot play FLAC or WAV files, so it's always MP3 for me. That's why FLAC didn't even really cross my mind to provide initially. It's just not on my radar much.

Am I correct in assuming most people here use FLAC to burn to CD?

Are you still ineding to post the FLAC files? 😛

Edited by Mattius
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, William Austin said:

I’ve just never mixed with FLAC because it takes up more space on my computer, and I was always expected to turn in audio projects in college as 256 MP3s. Sorry...

Glad you’re all enjoying it though!

I would at least go 320 mp3. Not much of an audible difference between FLAC and 320, but 320 and 256 are noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, William Austin said:

Tomorrow I will upload some FLAC files for those who would prefer that option. 

To further elaborate, I don't use FLAC very much because my iTunes (which is the main way I listen to music) cannot play FLAC or WAV files, so it's always MP3 for me. That's why FLAC didn't even really cross my mind to provide initially. It's just not on my radar much.

Am I correct in assuming most people here use FLAC to burn to CD?

Converting mp3s to flac is a waste of time.  If you convert Mp3 to Flac it will still have the same freq response as the mp3.   If you worked from lossless files like WAV or AIFF then those are the files you need to convert to flac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very sorry I haven't posted the FLAC files here yet.

I've been doing the exact opposite of quarantine this past week. I'm a contractor... so if I don't work, I don't get paid. And I'm about to get laid off from my main job, so I've been working extra this week to get as much bread as possible before that happens.

But I will start working on getting the FLAC files together tonight and hopefully have them uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I'll re-upload the MP3 files to since the link is now dead.

Just to be clear, the music files I was working with were FLAC files rendered to MP3, so all I have to do is go back to my Audacity projects and render the files in FLAC. So there won't be any converting MP3s to FLAC, I promise. While we're on the subject, what level (1 through 10) and bit depth (16 or 24 bit) are the best to render FLAC?

I'm very happy everyone is enjoying it! Hopefully if some new remasters or sources come our way soon, I'll be able to update the comp for an even better listening experience! Some ideas I have include splicing Stairway and SIBLY from both nights. But since the soundboard tracks sound quite different from each other from night to night, I decided not to do that for v1.0. Maybe someday though... sooner rather than later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, William Austin said:

I'm very sorry I haven't posted the FLAC files here yet.

I've been doing the exact opposite of quarantine this past week. I'm a contractor... so if I don't work, I don't get paid. And I'm about to get laid off from my main job, so I've been working extra this week to get as much bread as possible before that happens.

But I will start working on getting the FLAC files together tonight and hopefully have them uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I'll re-upload the MP3 files to since the link is now dead.

Just to be clear, the music files I was working with were FLAC files rendered to MP3, so all I have to do is go back to my Audacity projects and render the files in FLAC. So there won't be any converting MP3s to FLAC, I promise. While we're on the subject, what level (1 through 10) and bit depth (16 or 24 bit) are the best to render FLAC?

I'm very happy everyone is enjoying it! Hopefully if some new remasters or sources come our way soon, I'll be able to update the comp for an even better listening experience! Some ideas I have include splicing Stairway and SIBLY from both nights. But since the soundboard tracks sound quite different from each other from night to night, I decided not to do that for v1.0. Maybe someday though... sooner rather than later!

Level 10 at 16 bit.  Although many people like to have 24 bit files in their collection,  24 bit files need to be converted to 16 bit before burning. It's more work but if you offer both some people will take the 24 bit files also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, William Austin said:

I'm very sorry I haven't posted the FLAC files here yet.

I've been doing the exact opposite of quarantine this past week. I'm a contractor... so if I don't work, I don't get paid. And I'm about to get laid off from my main job, so I've been working extra this week to get as much bread as possible before that happens.

But I will start working on getting the FLAC files together tonight and hopefully have them uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I'll re-upload the MP3 files to since the link is now dead.

Just to be clear, the music files I was working with were FLAC files rendered to MP3, so all I have to do is go back to my Audacity projects and render the files in FLAC. So there won't be any converting MP3s to FLAC, I promise. While we're on the subject, what level (1 through 10) and bit depth (16 or 24 bit) are the best to render FLAC?

I'm very happy everyone is enjoying it! Hopefully if some new remasters or sources come our way soon, I'll be able to update the comp for an even better listening experience! Some ideas I have include splicing Stairway and SIBLY from both nights. But since the soundboard tracks sound quite different from each other from night to night, I decided not to do that for v1.0. Maybe someday though... sooner rather than later!

Sorry to hear about your job situation man :(  Tough times with this virus going around.  Hopefully we can get back to normal sooner rather than later...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...