Is "Tangerine" off pitch?

mehusen

Okay, so first of all: I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, and Robert's voice is in my eyes one of the greatest of all time. However, there's one song I have always felt that something's wrong: Tangerine. More specifically, it sounds like he miss the notes, especially on the high note at 1.15. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to notes, but there's something that doesn't sound right in my ears. Thoughts on this? 

Hold on, Isn't Jimmy singing on the chorus parts ? This whole thing is made very complicated because of all the remasters

and remixes, Jimmy could well have either deleted his vocal or studio-pushed it into pitch. I'm a musician, at least to me if Plant is off ,  it's barely or he is out for 1/2 a second if that climbing to the "proper" pitch. Remember that done properly being out of pitch just a smudge could add personality to a track. Back then Robert's voice had tremendous range and I can't imagine Tangerine being  hard for him to nail.

12 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

Might just be the double tracked vocals sounding dissonant on that one part.

Bingo, Robert is not off-pitch, its the double tracked vocals where the background track is slightly off-time which causes this dissonance at that one part. I like it, it adds personality.

11 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Hold on, Isn't Jimmy singing on the chorus parts ? This whole thing is made very complicated because of all the remasters

and remixes, Jimmy could well have either deleted his vocal or studio-pushed it into pitch. I'm a musician, at least to me if Plant is off ,  it's barely or he is out for 1/2 a second if that climbing to the "proper" pitch. Remember that done properly being out of pitch just a smudge could add personality to a track. Back then Robert's voice had tremendous range and I can't imagine Tangerine being  hard for him to nail.

Jimmy did sing them live, but I think the studio is just Plant double tracked. I agree though, another example would be SIBLY. There's a couple sections where his voice is slightly off the exact pitch. It's difficult anyways to hit some of those notes on his screams, but that's a great example of him climbing to the right pitch.

Only if you have the record playing at 45 rpm 

:drumz:

seriously, rp’s vocals are double tracked with a slightly different pitch for one of the tracks 

R😎👍

Edited by reids

This is interesting and I will check it out!!! And no, I´m not being sarcastic, it´s good to keep your mind occupied, especially during time like this. Been listening to a lot of CREAM lately, with some other classics thrown in... Yes, I´ve been reading and studying too!!!

On 3/27/2020 at 5:52 AM, Brigante said:

Hilarious - the world goes to shit, but Robert Plant might've been off-pitch for half a second 50 years ago.
I'll alert the media... 

Best Post Ever!!!

Yeah, he's off-pitch...somewhere in every song I'm sure. It's called a perfect imperfection. Nowaday's, they rely on  bullshit like this:

Edited by blindwillie127

4 hours ago, Mikelangelo said:

Well, maybe there is a small glitch there, but it does not bother me!!! Actually, I didn´t remember how nice tune "Tangerine" is!!! listening with headphones on, it sounds grand indeed!!!

It’s the reason I first picked up a guitar 

On 3/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, blindwillie127 said:

Best Post Ever!!!

Yeah, he's off-pitch...somewhere in every song I'm sure. It's called a perfect imperfection. Nowaday's, they rely on  bullshit like this:

Perfect imperfection 👏