Page solos in LZ you felt didn't "fit" well?

One talent Page had in my opinion, was going into a studio and seamlessly fitting a solo into a song.  Talent and ability to produce the solo itself aside, he also reinforced perfectly the mood and overall expression of the song.  For instance, I don't think Stairway to Heavens solo is his best, but, the way he melds it with the overall atmosphere the band is trying to emote makes it magnificent.  On it's own, it sounds nice.  When placed in the context of the song, it becomes epic.

So, what solos did you feel DIDN'T fit in well with the song?  Either were misplaced, or didn't seem to fit the groove.  For me, it's probably the solo in Over the Hill and Far Away, and also the outro in Black Dog.  Neither feel right to me.  Not bad of course, but just not right.

8 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

the outro in Black Dog

Nah... are you kidding, right? :lol:

I love every little detail of every Zep's song, but I admit Jimmy's solo in 'OTHAFA' may seem "strange". If I'm not mistaken the song is in G, but Jimmy's solo is in F#.

Edited by Rodrigo

As far as I'm concerned the outro to Black Dog is perfect. In OTHAFA  the solo is more of a compositional element than a solo, but it is kinda tame and the recorded version deserves better. This might be one of the few important songs in the Zep catalogue where the solo is lacking something vital. The live versions are more frenetic and "evil" than the record, but retain the general outline and mood of the album version.

I don't mind the OTHAFA studio solo. It fits the softer tone of the song on the LP, just as the heavy stretched out solo is a MONSTER live. Especially 3rd track in in '75. By the end of it people must've known they were witnessing the GOAT.

It's similar to Thank You (and No Quarter for that matter) in that the studio version is just a different beast than live. I don't think they don't fit though. 

i've never had a problem with the solo on OTHAFA. I like it and the fact that its not necessarily what one would expect and so in that respect I feel it does fit the fell of the song. live solos beat it every time but that's the case with many songs.

I do remember Page saying ( I think I read it, but it could have been an audio interview) that he was nervous when recording the black dog solo so maybe felt it wasn't as good as it could have been. but even so I see no faults with it at all in case of playing and fitting in

I think the weakest solo may be on HOTH, although its been a while since i've played it. but that's not the same as it not fitting the song.

Hot Dog solo is pretty bad, not in the pocket at all. Never understood how that was the take he said " right, good enough". It's a simple enough tune. He could've banged out 4 solos within 30 mins on that one...or 8 in an hour. 

Fool In the Rain also has a pretty weird sloppy solo. It has it's moments though.  I never cared for the octaver sound, even though it's become iconically associated with the song. 

Edited by porgie66

Hot Dog is a joke song with a joke solo, though.
It's not intended to be studied as a serious composition or assessed for comparative purposes with Achilles Last Stand.
Try picturing Jimmy's grinning face while he's flubbing it out. You laughed, right?
There you go, then.

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

It's not intended to be studied as a serious composition or assessed for comparative purposes with Achilles Last Stand.
Try picturing Jimmy's grinning face while he's flubbing it out. You laughed, right?
There you go, then.

Wanton Song

• 3 weeks later...

Nope. I can't think of a single one. I was tempted to say Hots On For Nowhere...But no... it fits..

I admire that Page didn't shred on every possible solo.. Some of his solos were quite simple, some were rather odd ..in a good way.. whatever he felt the song needed. 

I agree the live solos for OTHAFA were amazing where the studio version is kind of .... just there.. but it works .. What bothered me on that track was the reverb on the drums suddenly gets turned off coming out of the solo.... I think it was fixed somewhat on the remaster.   

Edited by the chase

On 4/7/2020 at 3:53 AM, Brigante said:

There you go, then.

I believe this is accurate. The lyrics, the song in general was supposed to be a kind of cow-punk tune...cow regarding the country vibe, punk insofar as the not really giving a shit and just f-ing around.

I always thought the solo in FITR fit perfectly and really cannot hear any slop, however the Blue Box pretty much masks any noticeable mistakes.

HOFN = One of Jimmy's best, most unique solos on record. The whole song is an underrated masterpiece.

58 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I always thought the solo in FITR fit perfectly and really cannot hear any slop, however the Blue Box pretty much masks any noticeable mistakes.

HOFN = One of Jimmy's best, most unique solos on record. The whole song is an underrated masterpiece.

To me, Page's FITR solo is his most happy/blissful/carefree solo ever. And, the way he and Bonham synch up on certain notes is fucking timeless.

Yeah, the Blue Box masks mistakes, but so does distortion/phasers/flangers etc... It really shouldn't be part of the discussion due to the fact that it has no bearing whatsoever when creating Art.