China finally changes status of dogs from 'livestock' to 'pets'

kipper

Looks like the Chinese under pressure to improve their current bad press over the  Wuhan virus have finally decided to join the rest of the civilized world.

Only took these fucking assholes 20,000 years to figure out what cavemen understood a long time ago. Namely that dogs make better companions and working animals than they do as meals.

Now I wonder if the Chinese will take the next big step and stop eating monkeys, bats, and rats too?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-changes-status-dogs-livestock-pets

035D88DD000003E8-5394989-image-a-1_15186

5e28938b24306a2ecb5adcf6?width=750&forma

52540.jpg

It's all perspective. You go to India and even think of touching a cow much less eating one and your ass is screwed. Societies develop differently so one society may look at a dog and see a pet while others see lunch. As far as I am concerned if you eat any animal, you really cannot condemn another for which animals they choose to eat otherwise you are being rather hypocritical IMO. I love dogs, have one right now and I would kill a fucker should they attempt to harm her, but that was my cultural upbringing. Personally I believe humanity cannot truly socially evolve to the next level until we respect ALL animals and eat NO animals as a result. I eat fish (no land animals) occasionally so I feel I have not evolved socially either. Maybe in a few years, sushi is yummy!!! I also cannot and will not condemn another for their food choices just as long as that choice does not include my dog Nibbler.

Who's a good doggie??? YOU are...YOU are Nibbler 🐕

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

It's all perspective. You go to India and even think of touching a cow much less eating one and your ass is screwed. Societies develop differently so one society may look at a dog and see a pet while others see lunch. As far as I am concerned if you eat any animal, you really cannot condemn another for which animals they choose to eat otherwise you are being rather hypocritical IMO. I love dogs, have one right now and I would kill a fucker should they attempt to harm her, but that was my cultural upbringing. Personally I believe humanity cannot truly socially evolve to the next level until we respect ALL animals and eat NO animals as a result. I eat fish (no land animals) occasionally so I feel I have not evolved socially either. Maybe in a few years, sushi is yummy!!! I also cannot and will not condemn another for their food choices just as long as that choice does not include my dog Nibbler.

Who's a good doggie??? YOU are...YOU are Nibbler 🐕

Well.... I would NEVER go to India. Not because I have an issue with the people or their culture---- but in terms of protecting my health--- or in anticaption of what may happen if you have an accident and need to go to the hospital, there are MANY countries I would not travel to. The closest country to me on that list is Mexico. NOPE--- won't go. Not even for a few hours in TJ. No reason to go to a 3rd world nation---- maybe no reason to go to many 1st world nations too, but I digress.

If we were in a 'lifeboat' situation and our survival depended on eating Fido--- then that is one thing. In fact Fido would just be eaten FIRST.... and the whoever is the next to die would be eaten next.  But we do not live in that kind of situation, and while we human are in fact omnivores--- have sharp cuspid teeth same a canines and tigers for tearing and eating flesh--- we still aren't living during the receding ice age so no reason apart from a dire situation for survival to eat dogs, cats, monkeys, bats--- or many other animals.

Dogs aren't more intelligent than some other animals, but over the last 20,000 years we humans have developed along side of dogs and we sort of have a human/canine relationship. It wasn't cows and chickens who were are "early warning system" helping us to be alerted for other threats, both four legged and two legged threats. And it wasn't pigs and sheep who helped us hunt for game. Because clearly at the point we had pigs and sheep we didn't need to hunt as much--- and it was of course the domesticated canine that helped us to herd and protect those sheep, cattle, and even protect our poultry. 

In the end a dog or cat is still just another form of protein. But the same is true of humans-- and we DON'T eat humans either. Not saying dogs are humans, but the fucking part of the damn Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese cultures that make it okay to eat dogs and cats is just a sign that those are less developed cultures.  And if you look into it, eating dogs isn't even an ancient tradition in China anyway, it is much more recent. Much of it is just GREED as there is a billion dollar industry in China for exotic and wild animal meat. That and some odd Chinese "voodoo" / "traditional Chinese medicine" belief that eating these animals increases your stature and "luck". Which can also be said about the market for rare and often endagerd species like Bengal Tiger paws and other parts in the Chinese apothecary trade.

China needs to change a lot if they want to be accepted by the rest of the free world. They have done a good job of bull shitting the world for a long time, and now is the time we need to pull back the curtain and expose this damn commie country for the evil place it is.

I have no problem with eating meat and I do. My argument is not a vegan argument.

6 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Personally I believe humanity cannot truly socially evolve to the next level until we respect ALL animals and eat NO animals as a result.

You don't believe it's possible to respect animals as well as consume them? Do the words "sustained yield" mean anything to you?   :slapface:

2 hours ago, kipper said:

Well.... I would NEVER go to India. Not because I have an issue with the people or their culture---- but in terms of protecting my health--- or in anticaption of what may happen if you have an accident and need to go to the hospital, there are MANY countries I would not travel to. The closest country to me on that list is Mexico. NOPE--- won't go. Not even for a few hours in TJ. No reason to go to a 3rd world nation---- maybe no reason to go to many 1st world nations too, but I digress.

If we were in a 'lifeboat' situation and our survival depended on eating Fido--- then that is one thing. In fact Fido would just be eaten FIRST.... and the whoever is the next to die would be eaten next.  But we do not live in that kind of situation, and while we human are in fact omnivores--- have sharp cuspid teeth same a canines and tigers for tearing and eating flesh--- we still aren't living during the receding ice age so no reason apart from a dire situation for survival to eat dogs, cats, monkeys, bats--- or many other animals.

Dogs aren't more intelligent than some other animals, but over the last 20,000 years we humans have developed along side of dogs and we sort of have a human/canine relationship. It wasn't cows and chickens who were are "early warning system" helping us to be alerted for other threats, both four legged and two legged threats. And it wasn't pigs and sheep who helped us hunt for game. Because clearly at the point we had pigs and sheep we didn't need to hunt as much--- and it was of course the domesticated canine that helped us to herd and protect those sheep, cattle, and even protect our poultry. 

In the end a dog or cat is still just another form of protein. But the same is true of humans-- and we DON'T eat humans either. Not saying dogs are humans, but the fucking part of the damn Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese cultures that make it okay to eat dogs and cats is just a sign that those are less developed cultures.  And if you look into it, eating dogs isn't even an ancient tradition in China anyway, it is much more recent. Much of it is just GREED as there is a billion dollar industry in China for exotic and wild animal meat. That and some odd Chinese "voodoo" / "traditional Chinese medicine" belief that eating these animals increases your stature and "luck". Which can also be said about the market for rare and often endagerd species like Bengal Tiger paws and other parts in the Chinese apothecary trade.

China needs to change a lot if they want to be accepted by the rest of the free world. They have done a good job of bull shitting the world for a long time, and now is the time we need to pull back the curtain and expose this damn commie country for the evil place it is.

I have no problem with eating meat and I do. My argument is not a vegan argument.

I agree with practically all of this. Kipper, is that really you? 🤣

I'll still murder a good steak though. No matter what. It is more the health and welfar of the animal in question. Put them on a farm, protect them from their natural often grizzly deaths at the hands of predators, then slaughter (humanely, not the way most Middle Eastern countries and others do) and use the animal. It's somewhat about respect.

Edited by rm2551

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Dogs? That's nothing!

So much as for "unless you are prepared to eat RICE for a thousand years" as said by Ho Chi Minn regarding the Vietnamese will to continue to fight against ALL imperialists nations including the U.S.  

Maybe he should have said "rat salad" to steal a song by the great Black Sabbath.

GROSS!

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I agree with practically all of this. Kipper, is that really you? 🤣

I'll still murder a good steak though. No matter what. It is more the health and welfar of the animal in question. Put them on a farm, protect them from their natural often grizzly deaths at the hands of predators, then slaughter (humanely, not the way most Middle Eastern countries and others do) and use the animal. It's somewhat about respect.

Problem with these a-holes in China is they are concentrating many different live wild animals species at their wet markets.  Here in America even if you hunt wild game animals, you don't bring them back alive, put them in a cage, and then allow their blood and feces to intermingle with other animals.  Something really dirty and nasty about the food culture in China.

So yeah, 'humane" or just otherwise sanitary and regulated by the USDA I'm fine with.

I once went to a slaughterhouse where they were processing beef. It wasn't as weird of frightening as you might think. It's actually pretty well organized and sanitary. Not as much in this video, but close.

This video will affect people two different ways:  either horrified, or made hungry. For me it makes me hungry.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." ~ Josh Billings

Ricky Gervais is 100% correct: Dogs are the best thing in the world. My doggo is testament to that! (I really need to post some pics)

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Ricky Gervais is 100% correct: Dogs are the best thing in the world. My doggo is testament to that! (I really need to post some pics)

“You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.” – Harry S Truman

22 hours ago, kipper said:

I pretty much agree Kip, and those open "wet" markets just gotta go, either that or stop all trade and travel with countries that engage in such practices.

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You don't believe it's possible to respect animals as well as consume them? Do the words "sustained yield" mean anything to you?   :slapface:

Steve, this has nothing to do with my post. I eat fish. I have many friends who are hunters and their hunting is part of forest management and overall sustainability. I wish you would stop with the nonsense and turning one issue into another. Sustainable hunting is a good thing, no argument there. My point is society AS A WHOLE cannot evolve socially to the next level until SOCIETY stops eating animals. There are two primary reasons for this. The first is obvious, factory farming of animals for slaughter is an environmental nightmare due to a combination of waste and the amount you have to put in in order to get something back. The second is we are eating complex animals who feel and experience life very much as we do which is ethically wrong especially in an age where it is not necessary or warranted. If people switched to a plant based diet and stopped eating meat & dairy, diabetes, heart disease, intestinal, prostrate, bladder, stomach, and several other forms of cancer would essentially disappear. It would quite literally cut the cost of healthcare by 1/2 - 2/3. And this is not because meat and animal products are inherently unhealthy (dairy is, always is, no exception and this is proven by science), but because unless you hunt in the wild for all your meat, you are eating shit, lots and lots of very bad shit due to the genetic manipulation of these animals, due to the massive amounts of steroids and antibiotics used. 

When my grandmother was buying meat in the 1930's the stockyards were four miles from her home in Chicago and it took at least two years before a cow was ready for slaughter. Now everything is shipped in from industrial factory farms and that cow now only takes 6 months from birth to slaughter due to chemical and genetic intervention.

So my hunter friends are all very healthy, rural folk who eat only the meat they kill and they eat considerably less meat than your average metro dweller because it is much easier to motor to the grocery to pick up a few pounds of meat than it is to stalk, kill, process, store, and cook meat which was hunted. So yes, hunting is good, wild meat is good and good for you in small quantities, but regarding ethics eating meat is wrong and I am guilty as well.

22 hours ago, kipper said:

So much as for "unless you are prepared to eat RICE for a thousand years" as said by Ho Chi Minn regarding the Vietnamese will to continue to fight against ALL imperialists nations including the U.S.  

Maybe he should have said "rat salad" to steal a song by the great Black Sabbath.

GROSS!

When I was in Vietnam a couple of years ago I saw a rat in Ho Chi Minh City that was so big I thought it was a small dog. I am not exaggerating!

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Steve, this has nothing to do with my post...(edited)

Your post is a fair explanation which I acknowledge. I'm not sure what "evolving to the next level means" though. The last time I heard talk like that it meant people not knowing which bathroom to use.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:45 PM, SteveAJones said:

When I was in Vietnam a couple of years ago I saw a rat in Ho Chi Minh City that was so big I thought it was a small dog. I am not exaggerating!

In Vietman the women eat rats because of some superstition that it keeps them youthful. 

That part of the world has more stupid voodoo like superstitions than any place in the West Indies or sub-Saharan Africa.

77049525_choosingthebiggestratsatthecamb