Price of beer will being going up soon too!

kipper

Part of the unintended consequences of the covid-19 lock down/stay at home mandates is a complete crash of oil prices. Nobody driving, no demand for gasoline, too much refined gasoline already in storage not being sold.

But then how does that affect the price of beer you may ask?  Well, part of beer distilling uses CO2 to "pre-fill" the bottles and cans before the beer is added and the container sealed. In the United States brewers buy their food grade CO2 from distributors who obtain the CO2 (which is a natural by-product of ethanol production) from oil refineries. Ethanol is a additive to gasoline/petroleum.  No gas refining going on--- then no CO2 by-product (CO2 is also of course used in making soda pop and other carbonated soft drinks). As ait stands right now the price of food grade C02 has already gone up 30% in the last week or so, and beer and beverage producers are scrambling to get more CO2.

So just a warning to all you beer and sodapop fans out there; time to start stocking up on your favorite beverages --same as stocking up on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2020/04/17/coronavirus-to-burst-another-bubble-carbonation-shortage-threatens-seltzer-beer-and-soda/#5bdfa386702a

Hmmm. Interesting article. I think I'm safe. I don't drink a lot of soda and I am well-stocked on the British, Irish, and European beers I mainly drink. Wine and water and tea/coffee are what I drink the most.

Well stocked has become somewhat ambiguous. We're all playing this by ear. I've got a variety of beer. It's been 2+ weeks since i've been out shopping, and i've got food, but i'm ready to go back out for whiskey, Baileys... this CO2 by-product situation may affect the whiskey gingers...

14 hours ago, Strider said:

Hmmm. Interesting article. I think I'm safe. I don't drink a lot of soda and I am well-stocked on the British, Irish, and European beers I mainly drink. Wine and water and tea/coffee are what I drink the most.

I have a 20 bottle case of Coors (Banquet of course)

12 pack of Costco brand IPA (tastes like ASS btw)

12 pack of PBR (Pabst to use to cut the Costco IPA just so I can tolerate it)

12 pack of Coca-Cola 'Zero'

6 pack of  Detroit's famous Vernor's Ginger Ale .... that I mix with JD while listening to Ted Nugent

newman_coors.jpegc8f64b7d548553e2bb2a2e5dabb07d68.jpg

steve-mcqueen-01-728x381.jpg

Edited by kipper

On 4/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, kipper said:

Nobody driving, no demand for gasoline, too much refined gasoline already in storage not being sold.

So why are the gas prices still so fucking high in WA (& the rest of the left coast)?The A-Rabs and libs will figure a way to fuck us one way or another.

Cartoon Tax Man — Stock Vector © ronleishman #13949449

4 hours ago, redrum said:

So why are the gas prices still so fucking high in WA (& the rest of the left coast)?The A-Rabs and libs will figure a way to fuck us one way or another.

Cartoon Tax Man — Stock Vector © ronleishman #13949449

Because here on the left coast the state governments demand a special fuel mixture "to save the fucking planet". 

And in Commiefornia they add another shitload of taxes on top of the price per gallon to pay for bloated public employee pension funds.

1 hour ago, kipper said:

Because here on the left coast the state governments demand a special fuel mixture "to save the fucking planet". 

And in Commiefornia they add another shitload of taxes on top of the price per gallon to pay for bloated public employee pension funds.

The cartoon says it all. What's in your wallet?

Did California ever get rid of benzene from gasoline? From what I remember back in the 90's just before I left the state, there was a gazillion dollar deal going on with Canada for the benzene even though the crap was considered carcinogenic. The nazi/mob run state has THE highest gas tax in the nation.

Someone on here mentioned that the Chinese refuse to do business with Japan. I can understand that after what they did in China in the 30's and WW2 (read Iris Chang's book), but this pic says different. Yamaha makes great stuff, but I would hate to have that badge on my drumset. 

https://www.drumcenternh.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/a/yamaha-absolute-hybrid-tom-8x7-vintage-natural.jpg

11 hours ago, redrum said:

Did California ever get rid of benzene from gasoline? From what I remember back in the 90's just before I left the state, there was a gazillion dollar deal going on with Canada for the benzene even though the crap was considered carcinogenic. The nazi/mob run state has THE highest gas tax in the nation.

California's laws for "cleaner burning gasoline" meant eliminating benzine in the formula. Although our natural gas piped into our homes still has trace amounts of benzene in it I understand.

Since California requires a special blend of clean gasoline by law, there are very few refineries outside of California that want to make this blend. A few make a small amount to sell in California, but it is more expensive. Then add to that the fact that Californian's wont allow the oil companies to build new refineries in the state (not in my backyard thing)--- that automatically increased the price due lower supplies especially in the high demand months.  So then when a refinery has to close down for maintenance--- or there is a fire or mishap... we pay as much as a dollar more per gallon than other states may be paying.

Californian's are kooks for the most part.  This state was partly build on the oil boom over 100 years ago. Oil comes from the Earth--- it is a natural thing not to be feared. When I was a kid much of the landscape down here in SoCal was covered in oil  wells. 50 years later there are million dollar homes built on the former oil well sites... most people have no idea.

Huntington Beach California looking north along Pacific Coast Highway north of Huntington Beach pier.

1*Bt92_PzivCZSUGqzLklvlQ.jpeg

Same area today however from a southerly view looking back toward the pier where the above photo was taken.

640x480.jpg

nfbt37-b88261878z.120141119230400000ghv6

Edited by kipper

Someone on here mentioned that the Chinese refuse to do business with Japan. I can understand that after what they did in China in the 30's and WW2 (read Iris Chang's book), but this pic says different. Yamaha makes great stuff, but I would hate to have that badge on my drumset. 

https://www.drumcenternh.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/a/yamaha-absolute-hybrid-tom-8x7-vintage-natural.jpg

Japan is currently in a process of encouraging their businesses to bring manufacturing back to Japan from China. SAJ may know more about that trend.

Fine with me. Then I won't have to shop for older REAL Nikon lenses on ebay instead of the more hit and miss stuff Nikon had made in China now.

Fuck China.

8 hours ago, kipper said:

California's laws for "cleaner burning gasoline" meant eliminating benzine in the formula. Although our natural gas piped into our homes still has trace amounts of benzene in it I understand.

Since California requires a special blend of clean gasoline by law, there are very few refineries outside of California that want to make this blend. A few make a small amount to sell in California, but it is more expensive. Then add to that the fact that Californian's wont allow the oil companies to build new refineries in the state (not in my backyard thing)--- that automatically increased the price due lower supplies especially in the high demand months.  So then when a refinery has to close down for maintenance--- or there is a fire or mishap... we pay as much as a dollar more per gallon than other states may be paying.

Californian's are kooks for the most part.  This state was partly build on the oil boom over 100 years ago. Oil comes from the Earth--- it is a natural thing not to be feared. When I was a kid much of the landscape down here in SoCal was covered in oil  wells. 50 years later there are million dollar homes built on the former oil well sites... most people have no idea.

Huntington Beach California looking north along Pacific Coast Highway north of Huntington Beach pier.

1*Bt92_PzivCZSUGqzLklvlQ.jpeg

Same area today however from a southerly view looking back toward the pier where the above photo was taken.

640x480.jpg

nfbt37-b88261878z.120141119230400000ghv6

Simply amazing pics. I was in Huntington Beach back in the early and mid 90's buying an engine and frame from Nostalgia (the crooks) Cycle. I was also flown down by a concrete cutting company in February from the bay area. I had to pick up a new work truck in Anaheim and drive it back. Stopped in Huntington Beach for lunch and it was 85* that day with lots of cuties walking around. I really hated to leave to go back to the cold ass bay area. :(  The enviro-nazi's are one reason I left the state.

The little engine that couldn't: A short saga of the Super Vee ...

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Simply amazing pics. I was in Huntington Beach back in the early and mid 90's buying an engine and frame from Nostalgia (the crooks) Cycle. I was also flown down by a concrete cutting company in February from the bay area. I had to pick up a new work truck in Anaheim and drive it back. Stopped in Huntington Beach for lunch and it was 85* that day with lots of cuties walking around. I really hated to leave to go back to the cold ass bay area. :(  The enviro-nazi's are one reason I left the state.

HB has changed a whole lot over the decades--- even the last two decades. Long gone is small town beach community charm there once was back in the '60s and '70s.  HB is actually a pretty big town for a beach city with miles of inland areas which when I was a kid was all farmland. You would drive for miles through the farm areas to get to the beach area. All those farms  and/or oil fields are million dollar homes.

For my money Seal Beach just north of Huntington is still got that small town feeling--- especially on their main street which terminates at the Seal Beach pier. Lots of small shops and restaurants.  

You may remember Seal Beach from the Tom Laughlin biker movie "Born Losers". This was the Billy Jack movie (character) which preceded the Billy Jack film.

1a8a23e379d8b1488bde7be494e61edd.jpg

born_losers_01.jpg?w=940&h=588

the-born-losers-f8fbe0bc-c100-4db3-8b15-

The-Born-Losers-1967.jpg?ssl=1

2 hours ago, kipper said:

HB has changed a whole lot over the decades--- even the last two decades. Long gone is small town beach community charm there once was back in the '60s and '70s.  HB is actually a pretty big town for a beach city with miles of inland areas which when I was a kid was all farmland. You would drive for miles through the farm areas to get to the beach area. All those farms  and/or oil fields are million dollar homes.

For my money Seal Beach just north of Huntington is still got that small town feeling--- especially on their main street which terminates at the Seal Beach pier. Lots of small shops and restaurants.  

You may remember Seal Beach from the Tom Laughlin biker movie "Born Losers". This was the Billy Jack movie (character) which preceded the Billy Jack film.

1a8a23e379d8b1488bde7be494e61edd.jpg

born_losers_01.jpg?w=940&h=588

the-born-losers-f8fbe0bc-c100-4db3-8b15-

The-Born-Losers-1967.jpg?ssl=1

Yep. One of my fave movies. Jeremy Slate always played the bad guy. I also remember San Francisco back in the 50's and early 60's before the 'age of aquarius' dawned. 😣

Yep. One of my fave movies [Born Losers]. Jeremy Slate always played the bad guy. I also remember San Francisco back in the 50's and early 60's before the 'age of aquarius' dawned. 😣

I like watching old movies seeing what SF used to look like before it was full of yuppies and homeless people.

Used to be a nice place... same as Los Angeles used to be nice. 

63cd543a36acd24c407c85fb1403b61e.jpg

old-San-francisco1.jpg

LOS ANGELES

30431a241734dac39f12c20a2e022da0.jpg

1 hour ago, kipper said:

I like watching old movies seeing what SF used to look like before it was full of yuppies and homeless people.

Used to be a nice place... same as Los Angeles used to be nice. 

63cd543a36acd24c407c85fb1403b61e.jpg

old-San-francisco1.jpg

LOS ANGELES

30431a241734dac39f12c20a2e022da0.jpg

Nice shots. 'The Rock' was occupied at the time. Some great movies filmed in SF.

D.O.A. (1949 film) - WikipediaI Remember Mama (1948) - IMDbBullitt (1968) - IMDbDirty Harry (1971) - IMDbAmazon.com: 48 HRS.: Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy, Annette O'Toole ... In D.O.A. they also filmed at the Bradbury Bldg. in L.A.

3 hours ago, redrum said:

Nice shots. 'The Rock' was occupied at the time. Some great movies filmed in SF.

D.O.A. (1949 film) - WikipediaI Remember Mama (1948) - IMDbBullitt (1968) - IMDbDirty Harry (1971) - IMDbAmazon.com: 48 HRS.: Nick Nolte, Eddie Murphy, Annette O'Toole ... In D.O.A. they also filmed at the Bradbury Bldg. in L.A.

I wonder why "What's Up Doc?" never gets mentioned. One of the funniest car chases in a SF film.

Oh, and that poor VW bus!!!!  Today a fully restored "21 window" VW bus can go for some righteous bucks man!

Edited by kipper

2 hours ago, kipper said:

I wonder why "What's Up Doc?" never gets mentioned. One of the funniest car chases in a SF film.

Oh, and that poor VW bus!!!!  Today a fully restored "21 window" VW bus can go for some righteous bucks man!

Yeah, it's a funny movie. Saw it not too long ago. 'Dark Passage' along with a lot of others.

www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/1920/p1920_v...

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Beer, wine and liquor

The alcohol selection at holiday parties might look different this year, as beer, wine and liquor producers warn they are having a tough time maintaining consistent production and distribution to customers.

Beer makers are searching high and low for carbon dioxide, commonly used to carbonate brews -- a shortage that cropped up in the U.K. even before the pandemic. Metal parts for machinery, aluminum for cans, and even malt and hops are also hard to come by.

"We can't count on our suppliers to have inventory," said Bill Cherry, the founder and brewmaster of Switchback Brewing Co. in Burlington, Vermont. "So we've been working really hard, and the way we've protected ourselves is we kind of became our own warehouse for this stuff."

Winemakers on the West Coast have lost vineyards to forest fires and smoke. Liquor and wine producers are also struggling to replenish their supplies after a surge in demand last year, particularly as wine and liquor tend to require more time to produce.

The more consistent obstacle for many beer, wine and liquor makers, however, is obtaining glass bottles -- especially if their bottles are special shapes. Even though domestic glass manufacturing is at full speed, said Scott DeFife, the president of the Glass Packaging Institution, the country imports 20 percent to 30 percent of its glass from overseas.

Those glass bottles are hitting some of the same bottlenecks at ports that other products face, DeFife said, noting that the ports on the West Coast are jammed up and that glass manufacturers in Italy and France ran into Covid-related export issues. That's where a lot of the specialty bottles are coming from.

"If you're willing to use a relatively generic bottle that is in use, there's a greater variety of places you can source that from," DeFife said.

The problem for America's booze industry, however, is that a lot of value is put in a company's brand identity. Some winemakers, for example, have said they are keeping wine in barrels longer, which could negatively affect taste, in hope of obtaining the correct bottles.

For Roman Roth, the winemaker at Wolffer Estate Vineyard on Long Island, New York, the colorful labels, bottles and packaging are all part of the brand identity his customers have come to love, but it's really difficult to obtain all the necessary glass, particularly as his brand has an opportunity to expand in the wine market.

"Basically, I have to order now for next September's bottles -- it's a big race of who can find the right bottle," Roth said. "It becomes a real issue, because you can't always change the mold. It means you need new labels, new plates, new parts for the bottling line. Everything has a snowball effect."

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/supply-chain-global-reasons-why-you-cant-buy-what-you-want-right-now/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, kipper said:

Part of the unintended consequences of the covid-19 lock down/stay at home mandates is a complete crash of oil prices. Nobody driving, no demand for gasoline, too much refined gasoline already in storage not being sold.

But then how does that affect the price of beer you may ask?  Well, part of beer distilling uses CO2 to "pre-fill" the bottles and cans before the beer is added and the container sealed. In the United States brewers buy their food grade CO2 from distributors who obtain the CO2 (which is a natural by-product of ethanol production) from oil refineries. Ethanol is a additive to gasoline/petroleum.  No gas refining going on--- then no CO2 by-product (CO2 is also of course used in making soda pop and other carbonated soft drinks). As ait stands right now the price of food grade C02 has already gone up 30% in the last week or so, and beer and beverage producers are scrambling to get more CO2.

So just a warning to all you beer and sodapop fans out there; time to start stocking up on your favorite beverages --same as stocking up on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2020/04/17/coronavirus-to-burst-another-bubble-carbonation-shortage-threatens-seltzer-beer-and-soda/#5bdfa386702a

You know that UPS, Fed Ex and the Post office are making a killing and cant keep up with the demand.  Amazon  and Walmart online shopping is the new norm and that means deliveries.  Have you seen a Prime truck on your street lately?  The guy next door sure has it.  So he has to buy something every other day, the hoarder that he is so he gets his $12 a month money's worth of deliveries.  That house is going to explode soon. No room for shit. Gas prices going up has put a crunch on the truckers and thus things are not being delivered to stores on a timely basis.  A chain/domino effect.  With all of the wild fires in California, the price of wine from Napa valley is still the same. Shocking!!  The only wine I buy is Cab from either Napa or France