BIGLY on 1977 Tour...

Wolfman

I found this post on FB kind of interesting. I never knew that BIGLY was supposed to be  on '77 Tour Setlist. Damn shame, I would have loved to hear that.

Led Zeppelin had begun rehearsing in November 1976 for their 1977 US Tour, By January they moved to Manticore Studios in Fulham, an old theater owned by Emerson Lake and Palmer.
Many of the pics were taken by Pennie Smith and published along with an interview by Roy Carr in the Feb 26, 1977 issue of NME, Oh and an interview with Page published in NME November 20, 1976 states that rehearsals began two weeks earlier. All Jimmy's interviews from that day at SwanSong in November mention that they will begin their US tour in February, in fact it begun in April, so not sure what happened there.
Jimmy also discussed in an interview with Chris Salewicz in February 1977, "I'm pretty confident. Everyone's confident. As far as the playing goes there's no problems at all. We've got such a variety in there - Oh, 'Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You' is another number that we've been using pedal steel guitar instead of the usual. So it sounds pretty different from the original."

There were pictures from that rehearsal published in CREEM magazine and others back in the late-70s where you can see Jimmy playing the pedal-steel guitar. Jimmy's wearing the famous Rorer 714 shirt.

So I have often wondered what that "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" would have sounded like on that tour. I also thought they might be working on a version of "That's the Way" when I saw those photos.

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Certainly would've been fascinating to hear their take on BIGLY in 77. Can't say I'd question any of their choices for the acoustic set as it was though. Love the 77 acoustic sets.

Ummmm...I question using JPJ to sing on "Battle of Evermore". 😝

I can't remember for sure, but a few years ago, I saw a picture (on this forum maybe) of a rehearsal for the 77' tour, a there was a pedalsteel guitar (with Jimmy ?), it's been so long, I can't remember any details

Edited by Klape

1 hour ago, Klape said:

I can't remember for sure, but a few years ago, I saw a picture (on this forum maybe) of a rehearsal for the 77' tour, a there was a pedalsteel guitar (with Jimmy ?), it's been so long, I can't remember any details

98d96d29973c2c749d5ff156f076c3a3.jpg.99ba8d7b19436d1637f1d23afe7bda1c.jpg0c342037275c8ef3ee85b39f5e4a3c81.jpg.8c79c1cab732ed175dff0c2d6632f26e.jpg1977_01maybe_ManticoreStudios_FulhamLondon_steelguitar.jpg.d75b052d79cb41dff557c9fd6bc115aa.jpg2de915d22bfaca574eb0a8e80be620a7--rehearsal-studios-manticore.jpg.20a4f7598b57675e72e7821cd61a537a.jpg

10 hours ago, Strider said:

I remember the first bootleg I ever bought was the 3 lp set Destroyer and my friends and I were blown away how a band that god damn perfect would have a backup vocal that damn bad? No one could hear how horrible JPJ was on that song? I wore that bootleg out. Came in a plastic case. Still have it somewhere. 

11 hours ago, Strider said:

Agreed. It was a nice try, but....  Robert’s voice would’ve been great for BIGLY that year. Had the power the song needed! 

12 hours ago, Strider said:

I feel you, Strider. Like the choice of song, but what else were they gonna do with those vocal parts? Give a groupie something constructive to do perhaps? Let's just say it was different! haha

1 hour ago, Zep Hed said:

I feel you, Strider. Like the choice of song, but what else were they gonna do with those vocal parts? Give a groupie something constructive to do perhaps? Let's just say it was different! haha

Just not play it and choose another song instead. It was horrendous, in my option

15 hours ago, Strider said:

I wonder why Bonzo did not take the second vocal part as he had a pretty good voice. I believe he co-sang the second part with JPJ on one or two gigs but not sure. Better yet, why not use local talent? Bring some local female singer on stage to take the part.

2 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I wonder why Bonzo did not take the second vocal part as he had a pretty good voice. I believe he co-sang the second part with JPJ on one or two gigs but not sure. Better yet, why not use local talent? Bring some local female singer on stage to take the part.

Was thinking the same thing, PeaceFrog. A local in every city may not have been doable but how about one in each of the band's three tour headquarters then travel with the band to each show. Hindsight's 20/20... Still stand by the choice of songs. Battle and BCW were nice additions IMO.

8 hours ago, pageluvva said:

I remember the first bootleg I ever bought was the 3 lp set Destroyer and my friends and I were blown away how a band that god damn perfect would have a backup vocal that damn bad? No one could hear how horrible JPJ was on that song? I wore that bootleg out. Came in a plastic case. Still have it somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Agreed. It was a nice try, but....  Robert’s voice would’ve been great for BIGLY that year. Had the power the song needed! 

7 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

4 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

3 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Was thinking the same thing, PeaceFrog. A local in every city may not have been doable but how about one in each of the band's three tour headquarters then travel with the band to each show. Hindsight's 20/20... Still stand by the choice of songs. Battle and BCW were nice additions IMO.

As I wrote in my 1977 tour posts, I always thought they should have just taken Sandy Denny on the road with them. She wasn't really busy at that time...she was long gone from Fairport Convention and in between albums at that point and she was good friends with the band.

Sandy might have brought a calming, maternal vibe to the road and lessened some of the asshole antics that transpired on the 1977 tour.

Or it might have killed her.

If Sandy Denny wasn't available or amenable to go on the road, Plan B should have been to find a substitute...Linda Ronstadt or Emmylou Harris or somebody...or just hire a local woman singer in each town they played. 

I always felt it was a lost opportunity.

Edited by Strider
Stupid autocorrect.

2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

I think that last photo sums it up

JPJ is thinking "wrong pedal, Jimmy"

Plant is thinking "Okay, this is not gonna work"

Jimmy - "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech"

On the first photo, jimmy is thinking....wait a minute, if i stand up maybe it'll sound better

On 2nd photo, fuck this gimme the mandolin 

boe makes the setlist, bigly goes dormant for decades

Actually bigly imo is maybe the most memorable live song, of the page plant era. They poured alot of energy into that song in 98 and that band, played that song very well. 

This is so cool! I hadn't heard of this before now either. Would've loved to hear BIGLY in '77, it would've been great to have that back in the set. Also would far rather have a reworked TTW in place of Battle of Evermore.

Speaking of additions to the set, I think Ramble On would also have been an awesome addition for this tour. It's a shame they didn't look to try to completely revamp the setlist with more songs they hadn't attempted previously.