Houses of the Holy mystery pressing.. Can anyone help?

HI everyone.. I haven't been on here for a while. I was just having a look through the threads to see if I can find out a bit more info about a copy of Houses of the Holy that I have here. I am sure the answer is simple however having scoured Discogs I just can't find an exact match for this copy...

It does NOT have 'Made in UK' on the labels

It does NOT have W3 o the matrices

It Does have A1/B1 Matrices

It does have a Warner logo

It does have Porky/Pecko

Hope you can help here.. this one is not on Discogs and I just don't know where else to look

Thanks for the help in advance

Tony

93E29C57-9EB3-49F5-B953-13B3876BCAA5.jpeg

EBB0085E-6633-440F-86AC-576207075773.jpeg

I don't see Porky/Pecko in the photos, but IF correct then likely a fourth pressing of the album, with Porky/Strawberry relegated to being a fifth pressing and Mary/Pecko relegated to being a sixth pressing. First (A2/B2), second (A3/B2) and third pressings have STERLING RL on both sides. A Porky/Pecko with a WEA logo is a reissue. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/led-zep-houses-of-the-holy-porky-vs-rl.324304/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I don't see Porky/Pecko in the photos, but IF correct then likely a fourth pressing of the album, with Porky/Strawberry relegated to being a fifth pressing and Mary/Pecko relegated to being a sixth pressing. First (A2/B2), second (A3/B2) and third pressings have STERLING RL on both sides. A Porky/Pecko with a WEA logo is a reissue. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/led-zep-houses-of-the-holy-porky-vs-rl.324304/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

My copy is a STERLING RL A3/B3, it's extremely battered, but it sounds fantastic underneath all the crackles.

HI - Many thanks, it probably is a version of the fourth pressing based on what you say. I did put the search 'Houses Of The Holy' into Discogs with 'Pecko' selected in the advanced search and there are four results. One is very close but mine does not actually match any of them.. it has not got W-3 or W-4 on it. when compared to the closest match, so it must be a variation of the four listed. I will pitch it as a fourth press and will sell it as I have maybe three of these in stock and also have one in my own collection. I do appreciate the help and if you find or think of anything else then please add it.. it helps my learning as there is so much to know about these pressings when they don't fit into the obvious descriptions.. I am sure it is the same with pressings of many other bands and artists.. the Beatles is a minefield! But there are experts all around it seems.. Thanks all

Tony

Oh yes - and mine has no Stirling either - I should have said.. it is just A1/B1 Porky/Pecko and no more, with a Warner logo on the labels and no 'Made in UK'.. no Strawberry, No Mary, No Sterling, No W-3 and no W-4 and no 'Made In UK'...

The 4th pressings I have seen all have 'Made In UK'

I am not sure where to go with this - what to describe it as.. it it unique? Transitional maybe? If this is a rare or unique copy then does anybody keep any record of these who would be interested? Or is there just Discogs? (not decrying Discogs here of course..)

I can not find any A side anywhere that has K50014 A1 Pecko and nothing else.. 

It may be the B side of this release [r6890966]

I always wondered about this pressing. You would figure the RL would have the earlier A1/B1 matrix numbers. I also wondered why they wouldn’t go back to the original Ludwig mastered tapes for the represses and why they use Peckham to recut the album. Anybody compare the Porky/Pecko to the RL Sterling? I’ve been on the hunt for a Porky/Pecko copy for years.

HI Stuevts

11 hours ago, Stuevts said:

I always wondered about this pressing. You would figure the RL would have the earlier A1/B1 matrix numbers. I also wondered why they wouldn’t go back to the original Ludwig mastered tapes for the represses and why they use Peckham to recut the album. Anybody compare the Porky/Pecko to the RL Sterling? I’ve been on the hunt for a Porky/Pecko copy for years.

Have you seen a copy like this before then? I can't find it on Discogs or anywhere.. I would like to be able to describe it better to people.. best offer so far is a 4th press though it doesn't match any I have seen... I would possibly be able to have a listen and see how it compares with other pressings if I know what I am listening for. I haven't got the best system set up at the moment.. the Pink Triangle is in lockdown in the South with Arthur Khoubessarian.. so I am left with the Technics..!

I have never seen a copy myself, but I know they exist, even though the Discogs listing might not be there.

The comparison I mentioned was my curiosity on how each was mastered. 

Both Robert Ludwig and George Peckham mastered releases from a variety of artists are highly sought after.

Ahh - it's ok.. I was thinking I could lend it to you to give a quick spin to compare it.. if you were to pay the postage. It's a bit prohibitive being so far away..  It is ultimately going up for sale with all the others but a play or two won't devalue it any!

• 3 years later...

A couple of observations.

The A1/B1 matrices are used on some UK, Ireland and Portugal pressings. Only the Irish pressing does not have the country of origin on the label - according to Discogs.

I have A2/B2, A3/B3, A4/B1 and A1/B1 UK pressings, A1/B1 Portuguese pressing and an SD 19130 RL PR USA pressing. In my opinion, the UK A1/B1 pressing is easily the best and, currently, probably the hardest to find and the most expensive. You cannot say that about many 4th pressings!

Does anybody know who was responsible for the A4 FOR MARY pressing; I've looked everywhere, to no avail.

My Portuguese pressing is the only issue I've come across with the catalogue number printed on the rear sleeve.

I'm still looking for the Irish A1/B1 pressing.

9 hours ago, Merry2014 said:

Does anybody know who was responsible for the A4 FOR MARY pressing; I've looked everywhere, to no avail.

A4 FOR MARY / B1 PECKO - so it should be mastered by George "PORKY" Peckham. He is known for cryptic or funny etchings.

Btw, have you ever had the chance to listen to a French pressing? It´s the only one with red/plum labels although they look a little dim, nowhere near the beautiful colour intensity of the UK plum labels.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew the Porky and Pecko names were used by George Packham. I wasn't aware the 'For Mary' indicated it was by him too, especially as it is only seen where the matrix ends A4. Since we know he was responsible for the A1 cut why would he do another?

I haven't heard the French pressing; I'm concentrating on trying to find an Irish one. There is too many to try them all and I don't think I'll find a better one than my UK A1/B1. I bought a UK A2/B2 recently but haven't listened to it yet.

• 2 months later...

I have today received my latest purchase of this album.Side one is K 50014 A1 PORKY W-7 and side two is K+50014+B3 STRAWBERRY. I haven't seen this combination referenced before; A1 PORKY is usually paired with B1 PECKO (B1 PECKO  is also listed (in Discogs) as being paired with A3 STERLING, A3 STRAWBERRY and A4 FOR MARY). Has anyone seen this combination before? I haven't listened to it yet as it needs a clean.

Edited by Merry2014
spelling