Fear of an official 'How the East was won'

As a person who loves complete live zep, I would be heartbroken to have the japan shows edited, and songs separated. I will stick with Empress valley in hopes of those whole lotta loves and tokyo shows! Would pay top dollar for unedited How the West was won.. can only dream

Edited by goldenretreiver157

37 minutes ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

As a person who loves complete live zep, I would be heartbroken to have the japan shows edited, and songs separated. I will stick with Empress valley in hopes of those whole lotta loves and tokyo shows! Would pay top dollar for unedited How the West was won.. can only dream

They’ll come out soon enough. I’m convinced EV have the complete show of the 29th. 

I would much rather have complete shows officially released as well, but I would still be thrilled to have something from that tour in official release sound quality.  It would also be helpful for the band's standing amongst average/casual fans and the general listening public.  Even if there are a few hundred thousand of us die-hards, the vast majority of fans and potential fans won't look past official releases, and for one of the greatest live acts of all time, Zepp's official live cannon is I dare say appallingly thin.  Any new additions to it are most welcome in my opinion, especially ones from a tour like Japan '71!

I'd see no reason not to rejoice an official Japan release. Of course we aren't gonna get a 36 minute WLL on the official release, it's simply not doable for many different reasons. Fitting it all onto an LP, deciding what other tracks to cut because of a 36 minute song, copyright/royalties issues etc... but anything from this tour in multitrack quality is well worth celebrating. Even with whatever splicing and editing goes on. It's still the band at their peak, and Jimmy wouldn't release it if it weren't worth listening to (then again, we have different ideals of how listenable something is to Jimmy).

I would like to see something like Deep Purple´s Made In Japan, the best compiled from all recorded shows, but each song untouched and as it was played. I put my trust in Empress Valley, and yes, a single CD, released in the fall of 2020, with a song of 923 or 924 soundboard would be fantastic.

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

I would like to see something like Deep Purple´s Made In Japan, the best compiled from all recorded shows, but each song untouched and as it was played. I put my trust in Empress Valley, and yes, a single CD, released in the fall of 2020, with a song of 923 or 924 soundboard would be fantastic.

I was thinking exactly this.  DP put out the complete '72 Japanese shows several years ago, I would love to hear the complete NY '73 shows from Zep.

15 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I was thinking exactly this.  DP put out the complete '72 Japanese shows several years ago, I would love to hear the complete NY '73 shows from Zep.

Yes! Just the uneddited uncut TSRTS, HTWWW, And Osaka is what I dream of one day, Then im set for life with zep boots. Its a lot to ask, but as long as im living I would loose a limb to see those releases. I Like the imprecision of the performances, But I know jimmy would never be up for that. Im also surprised no tracks from TSRTS where ever leaked.

24 minutes ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

Yes! Just the uneddited uncut TSRTS, HTWWW, And Osaka is what I dream of one day...

No chance of a truly unedited LA 72 due to the not-so-polite racial slur Plant used to introduce Black Dog.

Similar reason why we probably won’t hear an unedited official release of Montreux 1970, due to Plant dropping the “N” bomb during the medley at that show.

4 minutes ago, pluribus said:

No chance of a truly unedited LA 72 due to the not-so-polite racial slur Plant used to introduce Black Dog.

Similar reason why we probably won’t hear an unedited official release of Montreux 1970, due to Plant dropping the “N” bomb during the medley at that show.

Wouldnt hurt to cut out that part, and honestly wouldnt mind if most plantations were cut out, its all about the music. For montreux we have to wait until the rest leaks, which it most likely wont. I don’t think we will get anything close to an unedited release. Not officially, just dreaming of one

16 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

If It is anything like How The West Was Won then no thanks. Worst of the worst

This is a ridiculous statement. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water...Oh, Mary Lou is cut, boo hoo...HTWWW is the greatest live album of all time!

7 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

I have 'Made In Japan: 25th anniversary', 'Live In Japan' (3CDs). But anyway, I'm looking forward to this:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-695864627-deep-purple-made-in-japan-super-deluxe-box-set-_JM#position=1&type=item&tracking_id=1d1252f3-3d39-486e-99b8-53772ce672de

Current price, since every damn day the price increases: US$ 250 approx. :angry:

Edited by Rodrigo

6 hours ago, badgeholder said:

This is a ridiculous statement. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water...Oh, Mary Lou is cut, boo hoo...HTWWW is the greatest live album of all time!

Why so? The compressed sound of the original, no Plantations, dubbed crowd etc etc. I don't care about Mary Lou being omitted. I'll take Burn Like A Candle any day thanks. And your "greatest live album of all time" statement. Rubbish. Lets see:

Made in Japan - Deep Purple

UFO - Strangers in the night

Humble Pie - Rockin the Fillmore

Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

I could go on but I've just got up and haven't had me dippy egg yet.

12 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Agreed, HTWWW is a damn fine release. However, I also enjoy listening to 'How The West Was (Really) Won',  'How The West Was Redone (Winston)' and 'The Great Western Expansion (JRK)'. All are great alternatives (as most of you know of course).

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Why so? The compressed sound of the original, no Plantations, dubbed crowd etc etc. I don't care about Mary Lou being omitted. I'll take Burn Like A Candle any day thanks. And your "greatest live album of all time" statement. Rubbish. Lets see:

Made in Japan - Deep Purple

UFO - Strangers in the night

Humble Pie - Rockin the Fillmore

Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

I could go on but I've just got up and haven't had me dippy egg yet.

I will take it a bit further for you....:-)

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Ten Years After - Live at Fillmore East

The Outlaws - Bring it Back Alive

Derek & The Dominoes at Fillmore East

Jimi Hendrix - Winterland

Fleetwood Mac (the real one) - Boston

Happy to help. 🙂

Edited by Jukkin

1 minute ago, Jukkin said:

I will take it a bit further for you....:-)

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Ten Years After - Live at Fillmore East

The Outlaws - Bring it Back Alive

Derek & The Dominoes at Fillmore East

Jimi Hendrix - Winterland

Happy to help. 🙂

As I said I could go on. Thanks for your other recommendations

Space Ritual is right up there as well. I still have the Original Vinyl complete with "The Hawkwind Log" booklet  AC/DC "If you want blood" is also a cracker. 

13 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I have 'Made In Japan: 25th anniversary', 'Live In Japan' (3CDs). But anyway, I'm looking forward to this:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-695864627-deep-purple-made-in-japan-super-deluxe-box-set-_JM#position=1&type=item&tracking_id=1d1252f3-3d39-486e-99b8-53772ce672de

Current price, since every damn day the price increases: US$ 250 approx. :angry:

Yes, I have this 3 CD box and also the 9 LP Box from 2014.

Honestly, I can´t imagine Jimmy Page will release anything from Japan 1971, though I wish he would.

Let us wait for the complete 929 SB for the 50 anniversary, and any sign(like the 928 Black Dog single) from EV that SBs of 923 & 924 do exist, would be a godsend.

19 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Hello Mary Lou was my least favorite of all their medley songs. Didn't bother me a bit.

I wouldn't be mad! If there's any possibility that we would get parts that we didn't have before, or even a different mix or something, I'd be interested. Wouldn't come close to getting the complete unadulterated soundboards from EV, but it'd be interesting to see what Page would do with a release like this.

10 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Yes, I have this 3 CD box and also the 9 LP Box from 2014.

Honestly, I can´t imagine Jimmy Page will release anything from Japan 1971, though I wish he would.

Let us wait for the complete 929 SB for the 50 anniversary, and any sign(like the 928 Black Dog single) from EV that SBs of 923 & 924 do exist, would be a godsend.

Let me congratulate you, you have pure gold.

I hope to have those box-sets one day, for now my priority is to get the 'Super Deluxe' box-sets from Zep that I need to complete the collection: 'ITTOD', 'CODA', and 'BBC'. I'd be satisfied if I could complete it before the economy breaks down completely, I see it as very difficult, although I'm hopeful.

In my opinion, I don't think Jimmy will release anything else. 'TSRTS' was the last thing... he's an ultra perfectionist.

What I'd really like is a 'Super Deluxe' box set from RAH '70. I remember in 2004/2005 (I was 14 or 15 years old), I was playing the 2003 DVD all day.

4 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

What I'd really like is a 'Super Deluxe' box set from RAH '70. I remember in 2004/2005 (I was 14 or 15 years old), I was playing the 2003 DVD all day.

I will never understand as long as I live how there is a perception from anyone worth anything in music or publishing that could think RAH is not worthy of a stand alone release.

It is one of the best if not the best early seventies live rock performances of anyone. It is THE Zeppelin showcase (besides TSRTS obviously). I seriously do not understand the reluctance (on who ever is reluctant)'s part. I just don't get it.

Almost the same level for Earl's Court too. But not quite....

44 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I will never understand as long as I live how there is a perception from anyone worth anything in music or publishing that could think RAH is not worthy of a stand alone release.

Indeed!  The performance and recording are absolute first rate.  The mix on the DVD tracks is for me the best sounding live Zeppelin ever captured, that I have heard.  Maybe Jimmy figures it is on the DVD for all to enjoy, as one part of a very reasonably priced package.  Maybe he wonders if as a standalone audio release it would sell enough to make a profit.  Most fans who would be interested in it already have the DVD, and how many hardcore fans would buy a new version?  Oh wait a minute, I guess the same argument could be made for TSRTS and HTWWW, so yes, bring it on Jimmy.  Would he ever include the partial Heartbreaker just because what is there is so incredible?  Plant is killing it on that track - the peak of early Plant - power, power,  power, control and range.   In fact the whole set is peak early Plant.

• 11 months later...

A mash-up between all 5 dates is maybe possible in a 3CD compilation, likely using 28th and 29th show as main reference as we know that those were multi-tracked. Remember that a CD has a length of ~74 minutes (or 700 mb)

CD1: Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, SIBLY, Black Dog, Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven. Total: 74 minutes

(That Please Please Me-From Me To You segment will likely be cut)

CD2: Celebration Day, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Thats the Way, Going to California,  We Shall Overcome, Tangerine, Down By Riverside, Friends (maybe?),  WIAWSNB, Moby Dick. Total: 66 minutes (cut to ~61 if we removes Friends)

CD3: Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown, Thank You, Rock and Roll. Total: 60 minutes.

Total length: 200 minutes, 20 songs.

I’m using this compilation as reference for the length of each song:

https://youtu.be/cRAQpr0TKYc

Edited by zeppelin_starship