Bonzo’s All Time Best Drum Beat (excluding Moby Dick)

I'm with Tom. Been listening to a bunch of shows chronologically; seems Bonzo wanted to do the Crunge during nearly every version of Dazed in 72. JPJ would often join in; Jimmy took a bit longer to catch on. I'd wager the hierarchy of credit for creating this song follows how the studio track builds: 1.Bonzo 2.JPJ 3.Jimmy.

The Crunge.

Fool in the Rain.

Achilles.

WLL (try listening to the isolated drum vids out there, there is so much going on deep in the mix)

And so many others to choose from.  At the end of this month it'd have been JB's 72nd birthday. I've promised myself that if the lockdown is lifted by then, I'll get to his memorial statue in Redditch.

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2021 at 10:11 AM, paul carruthers said:

Walter's Walk

Ozone Baby

Good picks.

CODA Is an album I've probably never listened to end to end more than once, but Bonham has some really fine, nuanced work on display.  I'd put Poor Tom #1 in this regard, it showcased Bonhams ability to be a one man band, creating a coordinate rhythm that is alien to the average human.  I didn't even want to hear the guitar or singing, just those drums over and over in perfect time.

Edited by Canadianzepper

On 6/11/2021 at 9:15 PM, BobDobbs said:

IMO pretty much everything he did on Presence & ITTOD. Those are two brilliant drum albums.

Agreed. Which is also when he questioned his drumming ability the most. How did he not know he was the GOAT? Mental illness and drugs/alcohol mixed together are a m’fer. 

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

When The Levee Breaks

I have to say Whole Lotta Love, Out On The Tiles, D’yer Mak’er, Fool In The Rain and Achilles Last Stand are fantastic drum sings...Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks...oh forget it! 

12 hours ago, Walter said:

Agreed. Which is also when he questioned his drumming ability the most. How did he not know he was the GOAT? Mental illness and drugs/alcohol mixed together are a m’fer. 

I think he was truly a humble and unassuming guy. Made him all the more likeable.