Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MakeToesKurlyMan

Bonzo’s All Time Best Drum Beat (excluding Moby Dick)

As Zep fans we all love Bonzo and what  he brought to the band. Is there a consensus on his all time best drum beat? My vote goes to Achilles Last Stand with When the Levee Breaks a very close second. Any thoughts fellow Zep fanatics?

DEF3B022-03F9-4569-A105-4D8792B8445D.jpeg

I'm with Tom. Been listening to a bunch of shows chronologically; seems Bonzo wanted to do the Crunge during nearly every version of Dazed in 72. JPJ would often join in; Jimmy took a bit longer to catch on. I'd wager the hierarchy of credit for creating this song follows how the studio track builds: 1.Bonzo 2.JPJ 3.Jimmy.

The Crunge.

Fool in the Rain.

Achilles.

WLL (try listening to the isolated drum vids out there, there is so much going on deep in the mix)

And so many others to choose from.  At the end of this month it'd have been JB's 72nd birthday. I've promised myself that if the lockdown is lifted by then, I'll get to his memorial statue in Redditch.

I'll put in a vote for IMTOD as well. Years ago I had the headphones on and blasted it. The drumming literally frightened me!

Bonzos Montreux 

on the companion disc, my new go to, bonzos montreux