Sick Again, why?

Jukkin

13 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

What is your problem bud? Just about every post of yours is negative and you consistently attack people for no reason. If you read the last sentence I am asking for the reference. 

Jesus Christ you are such a miserable git, maybe you need to get a puppy or something.

Don't twist it. Just provide accurate information. Or fuckin' don't.

2 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Please, enough already with the weak attempt at definitive statements. Nothing was impossible if LZ was so inclined. For the most part, all of their live renditions were interpretations of their studio work. They could have produced a great live interpreted version of  ITL if they wanted to. They chose not to. 

What is and what should never be. Everything that happened was perfect in it's own way. While the set list remained static, every show, every song, every moment was unique, and that is why the shows are still collected and scrutinized. If we had 76 versions of "The Rover" or "Custard Pie", we would be here wondering why we don't have any live versions of "Sick Again". 

Led Zeppelin delivered and truly, you've got everything you need to be satisfied. And new recordings/remasters keep coming. Just enjoy.

That much is true.  I always remind myself of that when I find myself wishing setlists had been different.  I wish the Stones played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" more often, even though I've been blessed enough to catch it at two of my five shows, but if they swapped it for one of the warhorses it wouldn't take long before I'd be saying "how come they never play 'Brown Sugar'?!"  There is no perfect setlist approach.  Even if you go with the sort of method used by the Grateful Dead and Phish, it's great for the diehards, but casual fans might walk away thinking "No 'Sugar Magnolia'? WTF!"

What I remember reading was that Robert really wanted to play In The Light  live,  but John Paul Jones didn't want to have to deal with the needed synthesizer on the road..

Shame really. Don't ask me to dig up the quote, but I remember quite clearly reading an article where Jones himself said this..

I did see Robert play ITL with Strange Sensations once. It was good, but nothing close to the original. I appreciated the attempt though.   

As far as Sick Again goes, it's a pretty straight ahead driving rocker. John Bonham had some incredible fills throughout.. A very good, safe warm up number...which I would assume was why it was performed early in the set. I heard the studio version last night and Bonham was on fire.

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

That much is true.  I always remind myself of that when I find myself wishing setlists had been different.  I wish the Stones played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" more often, even though I've been blessed enough to catch it at two of my five shows, but if they swapped it for one of the warhorses it wouldn't take long before I'd be saying "how come they never play 'Brown Sugar'?!"  There is no perfect setlist approach.  Even if you go with the sort of method used by the Grateful Dead and Phish, it's great for the diehards, but casual fans might walk away thinking "No 'Sugar Magnolia'? WTF!"

Exactly. There is no solution to satisfy everyone's set list wish list.

37 minutes ago, the chase said:

What I remember reading was that Robert really wanted to play In The Light  live,  but John Paul Jones didn't want to have to deal with the needed synthesizer on the road..

Shame really. Don't ask me to dig up the quote, but I remember quite clearly reading an article where Jones himself said this..

Honestly, the JP quote comes off to me like him saying there was no more spotlight time available for JPJ. What JPJ may have said would have more credence, if he really didn't want to attempt it. But for a guy who chose to struggle with the limitations of the Mellotron, it seems strange he would shy away from a chance to be creative with synthesizers given the chance, especially on one of his signature tunes.

13 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Honestly, the JP quote comes off to me like him saying there was no more spotlight time available for JPJ. What JPJ may have said would have more credence, if he really didn't want to attempt it. But for a guy who chose to struggle with the limitations of the Mellotron, it seems strange he would shy away from a chance to be creative with synthesizers given the chance, especially on one of his signature tunes.

I thought it was odd. Which is likely why I remember it so clearly after all this time. 
It's not like he had to load it on the truck himself.. but he did say this. He had said more than once what a nightmare the Mellotron was.. so to throw another intricate instrument up there ..for one song no less, I guess was not worth it to him...

Maybe the other point about The Keyboard feature song for JPJ was always No Quarter.. was the deciding factor...  Kind of like if Jimmy did a bow solo on Dazed and How Many More Times in the same show... would be too much of a great thing..   not that I would have minded either. 

Edited by the chase

1 hour ago, the chase said:

It's not like he had to load it on the truck himself.. 

Lol

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Maybe the other point about The Keyboard feature song for JPJ was always No Quarter.. was the deciding factor...  Kind of like if Jimmy did a bow solo on Dazed and How Many More Times in the same show... would be too much of a great thing..   not that I would have minded either. 

This theory makes a lot more sense to me than the idea that the band couldn't develop a live version of ITL.

Just now, Badgeholder Still said:

This theory makes a lot more sense to me than the idea that the band couldn't develop a live version of ITL.

fair enough. John Paul Jones also said he didn't want to deal with the synthesizer on stage.. which I honestly thought was a little weird.. 

59 minutes ago, the chase said:

As far as Sick Again goes, it's a pretty straight ahead driving rocker. John Bonham had some incredible fills throughout.. A very good, safe warm up number...which I would assume was why it was performed early in the set. I heard the studio version last night and Bonham was on fire.

Yeah the version JP put on the remasters bonus disc is very powerful, even more than the official version, IMO.  But I’ve always loved the way ended the song/album with the pick going down the strings. Pure Zep magick. 

On 5/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, Jukkin said:

I may be in a minority of one here but I have to say that I don't understand why Sick Again was part of the 1-2 opening songs for so long. No matter how many times I hear it I just can't avoid the fact that it is probably their weakest song. It is just...nothing. Custard Pie (was it ever played live?) would have been a much better choice, or The Rover. I think both are stronger songs and both would have fit right in with the 75 tour set and perhaps in the 77 set. Am I the only one that feels this way?

PS: I'd have loved to have seen When The Levee Breaks instead of In My Time of Dying in the 75 sets. Both have that swamp blues vibe but Levee is the more enjoyable and powerful of the two. Just my opinion of course. Maybe it was because it was from PG rather than IV.

I think that the LIVE versions are superior to the the album track. I would imagine that the choice of live songs had something to do with their ability to pull off a live performance in relation to the studio recording .

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:24 AM, bluecongo said:

Sick Again kicks butt and Zep usually nailed it.  Its a great high energy number that also summed up life on the road for them.  Perfect fit.

Although its a great version, Sick Again at Knebworth seemed kinda shoehorned in the setlist.   Seemed out of place where it was. 

Robert Plant is fond of the "Sick Again" lyric, I can see why, it's funny and snarky almost in a Steely Dan way. "Baby dry those silver eyes"...😆 

Agreed that the song just seemed dropped in to the set in '79, it works better up front IMO.