The Song Remains The Same

Bodhisattva

I'm alittle wary of picking this up due to Dazed and Confused being close to 30 min. I borrowed the album from a friend back in '02 and felt slightly annoyed with it at the time. And now that I'm seriously collecting Zep again, would it be worth my time to just pick it up along with the DVD since it's out now also?

I'm alittle wary of picking this up due to Dazed and Confused being close to 30 min. I borrowed the album from a friend back in '02 and felt slightly annoyed with it at the time. And now that I'm seriously collecting Zep again, would it be worth my time to just pick it up along with the DVD since it's out now also?

I'm sort of wondering the same thing. I actually don't have TSRTS movie (I know, how can I be a REAL fan??) so I definitely need to get that plus I also want the soundtrack. Is all the other "stuff" that comes with TSRTS collector's edition worth getting or should I just get the new DVD's and CD's? I'm the type that has to have anything LZ but I also need to get BBC Sessions and HTWWW... not to mention having to save my penneys just in case of a tour!!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get the newer DVD and CD's... have to have them both! I'm just wondering if I should get the collector's edition of the DVD's, that has the t-shirt and other stuff.. or just get the DVD's themselves. The collector's edition is kind of hard to find now although there are several on ebay.

The dvd is nice. The cd set though... I wasn't really impressed. I can handle most of the changes made to this new cd release, but butchering the best part of the best song on it was ridiculous (no quarter). Especially considering that the longest song ended up being even longer than it was on the original (dazed and confused). I guess I can understand why it was done though, but it was still a letdown.

Anyway... the sound quality is great on both of them.

The Led Zeppelin DVD is by far much better, so if it's a choice, get that first.

However the film TSRTS is classic. Many people don't like the fantasy sequences, the edits of songs or the whole over the top 'self indulgent' aspect of it, but personal, I think it's fantastic. :D

The Led Zeppelin DVD is by far much better, so if it's a choice, get that first.

However the film TSRTS is classic. Many people don't like the fantasy sequences, the edits of songs or the whole over the top 'self indulgent' aspect of it, but personal, I think it's fantastic. :D

I like the fantasy sequences. I can't imagine the film without it. While I do agree the DVD is better, TSRTS has a special place for me because it was the first time I saw what Zep were like live since I never experienced it first hand.

I like the fantasy sequences. I can't imagine the film without it. While I do agree the DVD is better, TSRTS has a special place for me because it was the first time I saw what Zep were like live since I never experienced it first hand.
Me too. I have an acquaintance that got up and walked out of the movie during D&C becaused he thought that Page's performance was embarrassing. :thumbdown:

Oh I'm definintely getting TSRTS... I already have the 2003 DVD and love it. Right now, I have TSRTS on TIVO but that means I can only watch it on the t.v. in the living room, which means I have to wait until hubby is not around because he can't understand why I have to watch it on a regular basis! Hey, I'm catching up for years of not seeing it! I just wondered about the collector's edition that has the extra stuff (t-shirt, etc.). I also like the fantasy scenes in the movie. Then again, I like anything this band does pretty much!!

I'm sort of wondering the same thing. I actually don't have TSRTS movie (I know, how can I be a REAL fan??) so I definitely need to get that plus I also want the soundtrack. Is all the other "stuff" that comes with TSRTS collector's edition worth getting or should I just get the new DVD's and CD's? I'm the type that has to have anything LZ but I also need to get BBC Sessions and HTWWW... not to mention having to save my penneys just in case of a tour!!!!

YES.

Yes. TSRTS movie is an absolute must-have. If you're just getting into Zep and have never seen it...what are you waiting for?! My favorite rock movie along with Woodstock (the Led Zep DVD is pure concert footage so that doesn't count in my book).

I think the movie is a must-have! I saw it in the cinema, when it was released then, decades ago :) , the cinema with the largest screen and best sound equipment in my town at that time ("Grindel" in Hamburg), and it was just great. What impressed me most was the base tone in No Quarter, due to the cinema's equipment really deep, wailing through the theater, filled the entire room. Then I bought the double LP (yes, these black vinyl thingies, which some of you might still remember... :D ), was great, but I missed the deep base. Then I bought the video, was good, the visual experience better than only listening, but still lacked the deep base tone from JPJ. Then I bought the CD, sound was better, cleaner - but still not the deep base tone I had experienced in the cinema... At last I bought the DVD and alas! There was the base tone, the sound better than everything I heard before (and I used the same loudspeakers, no subwoofer or 5.1 or something), also the movie of great quality...

So now: Anyone here who comaperd the "old" DVD with the newer one? Is the differnce really this big that it is worth to buy it again?

I'm alittle wary of picking this up due to Dazed and Confused being close to 30 min.

I seriously can't understand what you mean by this? The bow solo is brilliant, and the other jams are well worth hearing. Just because a song isn't 3 minutes long to fit on the radio means there is something wrong with it.....

The 'new' dvd that came with some Mothership editions is a compilation of footage from the 2003 DVD, not TSRTS. TRSTS 2-disc extras are excellent, while there is no 'behind-the-scenes interviews' or anything of that nature, there are extended interviews with Peter Grant, from 1973 during the Drake Hotel robbery, and another long interview with him and Robert in 1976. There is newsreel footage of Zeppelin arriving in Tampa for a show (some of this footage was used at the beginning of the O2 show). There is a lot of stuff there....

BBC Sessions is well worth getting, it gives a nice overview of what Zeppelin had achieved in a short space of time, in terms of writing and recording some classic songs.

HTWWW is absolutely essential. The sound quality compared to TSRTS is superior, most of the playing is flawless. A great selection of songs from the '72 tour, brilliant solos from Bonham and Page.....I can't recommend this highly enough.

But keep saving those pennys.....Even if they don't tour, the o2 reunion show DVD, in terms of recorded sound quality and production values will blow any previous release out of the water.

Me too. I have an acquaintance that got up and walked out of the movie during D&C becaused he thought that Page's performance was embarrassing. :thumbdown:

I imagine Jimmy's reaction was the same when he was at a Whitesnake concert (Whitesnake were already considered a bit of a Zeppelin rip-off) when the guitarist pulled out a violin bow.

So now: Anyone here who comaperd the "old" DVD with the newer one? Is the differnce really this big that it is worth to buy it again?

Yes, definitely. Aside from clearing up basic things like a little tape hiss/buzz, and fixing some of the sync. with the pictures, the re-mastered sound has made a lot of difference, giving the vocals a more crisp presence in the mix (without being too sharp), and generally separating each instrument. The old one now sounds a little 'muddy' and the new one is much cleaner. It's been mixed in 5.1, which I havn't heard, but if you're into that, that's another reason to get it.

It was a few different dates from the July MSG performances in 1973. Then some was done at Shepperton Studios.

The audio is all from MSG, none from Shepperton.

The film/soundtrack itself was released in 1976.

Confusing, but I suppose you mean that you are already planning on getting TSRTS DVD, and you want to know if you should get TSRTS CD. I would say yes. The unrealsed tracks on CD make it worthy, and necessary.

Just that were so mnay replies commenting on TSRTS DVD, which you already stated that you were getting....

I suppose you did not mean that you were picking up the Zeppelin "DVD". Such a confusing title.... :D

Confusing, but I suppose you mean that you are already planning on getting TSRTS DVD, and you want to know if you should get TSRTS CD. I would say yes. The unrealsed tracks on CD make it worthy, and necessary.

Just that were so mnay replies commenting on TSRTS DVD, which you already stated that you were getting....

I suppose you did not mean that you were picking up the Zeppelin "DVD". Such a confusing title.... :D

I know, I realized afterwards how confusing this was! There are a few items here: 1. DVD's released in 2003; 2. TSRTS DVD's; 3. TSRTS CD's; and 4. TSRTS collector's box with the DVD's and extras (t-shirt, etc.). I already have the DVD's released in 2003 and just got TSRTS DVD's. I need to pick up TSRTS CD's (this weekend). What I was wondering about is TSRTS collector's box as far as the extras. The problem is that now, the collector's box is hard to find anyway so I'm glad I grabbed the DVD's while I could. Thanks everyone!!

Okay, went and got TSRTS soundtrack CD's today... OMG.. they are great and I'm only up to SIBLY so far!! I just love this version of Misty Mountain Hop though... I love when Robert sings, Hey boy do you wanna score and then says, Do I wanna score?? Makes me smile and giggle every single time!! I love this band so much... now I just need to get HTWWW and BBC Sessions.

Archived