Are there any Led Zeppelin master tapes released to the public?

On Youtube, I've heard a few people's remasters of Led Zeppelin songs.  Naturally, theirs sounded like it was a direct remaster from the master tapes.  It didn't sound like they took a remaster and remastered the remaster (if that isn't too confusing, lol).  I was just wondering where they might have gotten digital copies of the masters (if they did)?  Or if not, how did they get such a raw copy to master?

Edit: For clarity I want the masters so I can remaster the tapes.  Ever since I heard Good Times Bad Times I have always wanted to "make it my own" in the sense that I would master it and then have basically a song no one ever heard.  If that sounds weird, it probably is.  To master a song then never release it (seems even weird to me).  But I think that behind all those effects, is nice, clear music.

Edited by Colin Jarczyk

A few years ago, I recall someone shared a bunch of digital files which were sourced from flat transfers of the first 6 albums.

"The “bin master” tapes came from a Studio in NY. The original (bin) analogue master tapes were transferred digitally at 32/192 from a calibrated Ampex ATR-102 at 15 IPS . Or in some cases @96/24. I do not know of the ADC but it was the studio’s own. =quality. The tapes were destined to be thrown into a waste skip as not required any more. The guys who transferred them were sound engineers, one of them was also a record producer."

3 hours ago, pluribus said:

"The “bin master” tapes came from a Studio in NY. The original (bin) analogue master tapes were transferred digitally at 32/192 from a calibrated Ampex ATR-102 at 15 IPS . Or in some cases @96/24. I do not know of the ADC but it was the studio’s own. =quality. The tapes were destined to be thrown into a waste skip as not required any more. The guys who transferred them were sound engineers, one of them was also a record producer."

😆  yeah, they were just going to throw out the masters...

Yeah. I think the lineage is that they were deemed to be "flat" transfer copies (i.e. no added EQ) of the original album mixes that were then EQ'd for one of the rounds of remaster releases.   So, disposing these particular copies wouldn't have been a problem, since they were copies made from the masters that were then used as the basis for further EQ'ing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just saw this thread as my name was mentioned (Lokkerman) I do have the flat transfers, digitally,  and they are so much nicer and tidier, than anything ever released officially. A while back I asked a Russian contact to share them on Rutracker.

They are not bin masters, which was a duplication master for Reel to Reel, cassette or 8 track commercial tapes. They are Production Masters. There was an issue with them soundwise, which I sorted. They sounded thin and trebly which was due to the fact that these were British Production Masters at 15ips and EQ'd to IEC not NAB. The Ampex ATR was set to playback NAB.

I converted them in my DAW  with a home made FIR filter built around tables available from the MRL.

Brief bit of history - the came from a studio in NY, which was being converted to apartments, the engineers that did the transfer, were sent in to decommission the studio equipment. They were professional audio engineers and indeed one of them was an audio producer. The tapes were transferred in haste as they were destined for destruction, in doing so they set up the Pro-Tools to be 96/24 but the ADC interface was unknowingly set to 44/24. This was a common problem with windows in 2009. Not all were set this way and the 30ips recordings  were usually transferred 192/24. IIRC Physical Graffiti was 30ips.

There were other tapes too, notably the first set of Bowie albums on RCA and from my research are the same sounding source as the first RCA U-matic releases on CD.