R.E.M. Prepares 14th studio album

The Pagemeister

I saw them on the today show this morning. They played two songs, loud guitars and drums, more like the new adventures in hifi album...good stuff.

I guess it depends on where you live but here (NC) three songs were shown: Losing My Religion, Supernatural Superserious and Hollow Man. There was also a very brief interview conducted by Matt Lauer. A clip of Hollow Man has already made it's way onto YouTube:

From remhq.com:

EDITORS FRONT STRONG CAST OF SUPPORT FOR EUROPE

Support for R.E.M.'s summer tour of Europe is bolstered by a host of strong acts including UK band Editors who are on board for a total of 16 dates. Other acts include Elbow, Modern Skirts, Ludeal, Duke Spirit, The Disciplines, and Guillemots. Locarno support remains TBA. Please see the dates below for specific support slots:

JULY

WED-2-AMSTERDAM, WESTERPARK - MODERN SKIRTS

TUE-8-LYON, THEATRE ANTIQUE - LUDEAL

WED-9-NICE, THEATRE DE VERDURE - LUDEAL

TUE-15-DRESDEN, ELBUFER - EDITORS

WED-16-BERLIN, WALDBUHNE - EDITORS

FRI-18-LOCARNO, CITY SQUARE - TBA

SUN-20-PERUGIA, PARCO GUILIANA - EDITORS

MON-21-VERONA, ARENA - EDITORS

WED-23-NAPLES, OSTRA D'OLTREMARE - EDITORS

THU-24-UDINE, VILLA MANIN - EDITORS

SAT-26-MILAN, ARENA CIVICA - EDITORS

AUGUST

SUN-17-PRAGUE, SLAVIA STADIUM - DUKE SPIRIT

TUE-19-STUTTGART, EHRENHOF - ELBOW

WED-20-LORELEY, FREILICHTBUHNE - ELBOW

FRI-22-WURZBURG, MARIENFESTE - ELBOW

SUN-24-MANCHESTER, L.C.C.C. - EDITORS + GUILLEMOTS

MON-25-CARDIFF, MILLENNIUM STADIUM - EDITORS + GUILLEMOTS

WED-27-SOUTHAMPTON, ROSEBOWL - EDITORS + GUILLEMOTS

SAT-30-LONDON, TWICKENHAM STADIUM - EDITORS + GUILLEMOTS

SEPTEMBER

WED-3-OSLO, ULEVAAL STADIUM - EDITORS + THE DISCIPLINES

THU-4-BERGEN, KOENGEN STADIUM - EDITORS + THE DISCIPLINES

SAT-6-COPENHAGEN, PARKEN STADIUM - EDITORS + THE DISCIPLINES

SUN-7-STOCKHOLM, STADIUM - EDITORS + THE DISCIPLINES

TUE-9-HELSINKI, FINNAIR STADIUM - EDITORS + THE DISCIPLINES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

R.E.M. Will Revisit 'Early Days' On Summer Tour

rem_05l.gif

R.E.M.

Gary Graff, Detroit

After delighting fans with rarities such as "Second Guessing" and "Animal" at its performances thus far this year, R.E.M. is promising to dig further into its vaults for its return to the road on May 23, Billboard.com has learned.

"[For] the last Dublin shows [in June and July 2007], we went back and learned a whole bunch of stuff from the early days we hadn't played in a long time, just to see where we came from, and it was pretty inspiring to play those," guitarist Peter Buck tells Billboard.com.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

• 3 weeks later...

From Rolling Stone.com's Summer Concert Guide:

Not sure where they got the ticket prices and openers from as both are news to me...

R.E.M.

Through June 14th

Tickets $24-$40

Openers Phantom Planet, Motion City Soundtrack

20817723-20817724-slarge.jpg

Photo:Getty

R.E.M.'s bassist, Mike Mills, says that their first tour in three years will focus on their rocking new album, Accelerate, they'll play most of the disc every night. "As soon as they were written, we knew those songs would be fun to play live," says Mills, who is still in love with gigging 28 years after starting the band in Athens, Georgia. "We wouldn't be doing it if we weren't psyched. The work is too hard to do if you're not loving it."

What have you noticed about crowds at recent R.E.M. shows?

They skewed older for a while. Now they're skewing younger again, which is very exciting.

This summer, will you bring back songs that have been retired?

We probably will. I'm looking through the catalog for songs we've never played or haven't played in a long time.

Can you name a song you'll bring back?

No, because if I say something now, someone in the band will say, "No, I don't wanna play that" [laughs]. Everyone has veto power.

How much do you rehearse for a tour?

Well, you wanna rehearse enough to be comfortable with the songs, but not so much that you get bored of them. It's a fine line.

What's on R.E.M.'s rider?

Fruit, cheese, red wine and lint-free towels. You can't go out there with lint in your hair. You'll look stupid.

Do you have a favorite story from touring in the Eighties?

Well, we shared a trailer with Ratt at a festival in Calaveras County [California] in '84.

Weird. Did you talk to Ratt?

No, but we listened to them get "up" for the show. That's all I'm saying.

Review: R.E.M. brings Vancouver "a superb evening of music"

sun0523e-rem%201.jpg

REM's Michael Stipe rocks out at Deer Lake Park Friday night.

Steve Bosch / VANCOUVER SUN

Amy O'Brian, Vancouver Sun

Forget about the blue face paint and confounding ballads of their decade of experimentation.

R.E.M proved Friday night at Deer Lake Park that they're back to their fun, fast-rocking ways. The high-energy outdoor show was the first of the band's world tour and they made it abundantly clear they are a band rejuvenated and revived by their latest album, Accelerate.

Under threatening - but ultimately forgiving - skies, the boys from Athens, Georgia performed with a synchronicity and genuine gratefulness that comes with 28 years of being a band.

To read the rest of the review click here.

The new album is a real return to form (not that I haven't enjoyed some of all of there albums and most of most of them!) and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again with my Daughter in Cardiff, Wales in August.

Sasquatch 2008: R.E.M., The Cure, Flaming Lips Light Up the Gorge

20947692-20947693-slarge.jpg

With its sweltering heat, pouring rain, vast views and tons of music, the Sasquatch Music Festival is a three-day slice of Northwest highlife. This past weekend, 60,000-some revelers converged on the sold-out Gorge, a beautiful natural amphitheater carved out of the Grand Canyon-esque Columbia River Gorge in eastern Washington, to check out headlining sets from R.E.M. and the Cure. Both bands mined their catalogs and flaunted their pop-icon status, while the Flaming Lips arrived on Sunday evening with an army of jumpsuited technicians to erect their massive “UFO Show” production, taking over the festival a full 24 hours before their set. Their eye-popping Monday night finale proved that Wayne Coyne is committed to bringing a full-scale party to every Lips experience.

• For RS’ full report, check out the Sasquatch 2008 photo gallery, stocked with info on all the major sets.

To read the rest of the review click here.

Archived