Bonzo's Birthday Party Matrix?

Bonzo_fan

Does anybody know if a matrix has been made of the 5/31/73 Los Angeles show?  I have the audience recording, which sounds really good, but I know there's also a partial soundboard (which I've listened to bits and pieces of here and there).  It seems like too good of an audience recording to not make a matrix with, but I can't seem to find if one has been made or not...

If anyone knows of one and can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, pluribus said:

Slumpy made one years ago, and it had the usual problems...drift between the sources, comb filtering, etc.

I would check out multi-cam projects merge of the audience sources and the soundboard.

Slumpy😆 I heard that thing, as I remember by the end of it was completely out of sync and sounded like a fuckin' mess...his Seattle '77 "matrix" isn't much better. Christ, those things are old now, fifteen years at least- better sources and technology have become available since to actually make better matrices of some of these shows possible.

This show really does not have a definitive version out there (that I've heard at least). Which is a shame because it's one of the best of the tour. 

I think Nite Owl would be the man for the job. His matrixes are the best I've ever heard... everything he has touched so far turned to gold.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:30 AM, pluribus said:

Slumpy made one years ago, and it had the usual problems...drift between the sources, comb filtering, etc.

I would check out multi-cam projects merge of the audience sources and the soundboard.

19 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Slumpy😆 I heard that thing, as I remember by the end of it was completely out of sync and sounded like a fuckin' mess...his Seattle '77 "matrix" isn't much better. Christ, those things are old now, fifteen years at least- better sources and technology have become available since to actually make better matrices of some of these shows possible.

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, William Austin said:

This show really does not have a definitive version out there (that I've heard at least). Which is a shame because it's one of the best of the tour. 

I think Nite Owl would be the man for the job. His matrixes are the best I've ever heard... everything he has touched so far turned to gold.

That's sort of what I'd gathered.  I agree, it's a shame.

This is what noted Led Zeppelin bootleg collector, Paul Sheppard, posted on the Led Zeppelin Celebration Days Facebook page this morning.

31st May, 1973. L.A. Forum, Los Angeles, CA. U.S.A. In effect, Zeppelin’s second home and where they performed some of their best concerts. This one is up there with the best if not quite the forever classic that some of them were. There are three separate audience sources, a selection of audience source mixes using two or more sources plus a soundboard available on Cd.
For me, the best and most complete ones are:
Bonzo’s Birthday Party (Graf Zeppelin) 3 Cd
Bonzo’s Birthday Party (Sanctuary) 3 Cd.
Both of these are audience mixes and both include the encore ‘Communication Breakdown’.
Also good is Bonzo’s Birthday Party (Neverland) 5 Cd which has a 3 Cd audience mainly based on source three and the 2 Cd well circulated soundboard.
Bonzo’s Birthday Party (Tarantura) 3 Cd is an older release based on source one and is missing the encore but has to get a mention here for its brilliant cover (arguably the best ever Cd cover).
If you just want the soundboard then, apart from the Neverland release, Watchtower and Empress Valley are decent enough.
Empress Valley has released some lavish packages along the way but their box set(s) of this show are inferior to the ones mentioned above, down to their splicing and using different shows to fill gaps (common practice with EV sadly). They are also expensive.
Party on in memory of Bonzo!

Graf Zeppelin's is my fav for the audience merge. The sources are clear, the edits well done and Moby Dick is also complete which bizarrely wasn't the case for pretty much all prior releases. For me a matrix works best if you have most of the show in both SBD and Aud. This show is a typical '73 incomplete SBD. Still I'm surprised no one did a decent matrix recently. Seems like the era of matrixing was 10-15 years ago. Am I wrong ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Nite Owl had released some Led Zeppelin : Fillmore April 27, 1969; Texas Pop August 31(great one), 1969, Blueberry Hill and the recent Vienna 1973 (great one too) . And maybe some more ...

He or she or they has also made a great version of The Rolling Stones Liver than you'll ever be, really nice upgrade and two Neil Young from 1973 and 1984.

The No label, or Lighthouse has some silver cd using the Night Owl matrix, Texas pop is nicely done with pictures from the actual show, as the last Vienna 1973, from the same label. EV has gathered the 69 shows in a "cheap" package, it is not cheap when you consider the prices. There are probably others 

• 3 years later...