A.I. Colourization test on Zep clips

• Administrators

I've been playing around with A.I. colourizing software on some black & white Zeppelin clips. Sometimes the results are impressive. It seems to work best on natural settings like outdoors.

some mp4 clips:

Danish TV '69, Sweden TV 69, Iceland 70, BBC 70 interview, Amsterdam 72:

I was wondering where that colour video of the 1969 Danish TV show had come from, as I had always only seen it in black-and-white. I thought maybe the band had a colour tape stashed away but it turns out it was Sam's work all along. Good job, Sam.

• Administrators

Fun to see the spooky kid outside the Laugardalsholl Hall in colour, lol.

So far, Iceland footage seemed to work the best. The live clip looks incredible too, down to the blue sky peeking in the windows.

iceland1.png

Would love to see full length uploads at YouTube. I remember someone years ago manually colourised some early B&W TV footage - think it was the 30min Denmark clip - and AFAIK it took them months to do a minute or two frame by frame and it never got completed. Though the small segment that was shared was superb - much more consistent than AI alone.

In fact the Denmark clip would definitely be the best candidate for a full length upload. I imagine some manual overview of the frames that AI didn't quite get right wouldn't be nearly as taxing as it would have been a few years ago. In the absence of any real exciting news for the 50th anniversary (apart from something which might be *incredible* coming to LedZepFilm's YT channel on the 21st) this would be pretty cool to watch.