Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
in_the_evening

All 74 Zep Songs Rated

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The factual inacuracies regarding "All My Love" shocked me.

Edited by anniemouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just inaccurate, but what's doing with this in regards to Presence?!?!?!?!?

There are no significant songs on the album.

Pfffft, not worth reading on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t finish reading it.  The same sort of over-written pseudo-intellectual drivel that has plagued many reviewers down thru the years, most of them more astute than this preening twit. Perhaps his really smart friends enjoyed it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"for Bonham’s role in an infamous on-tour incident at Oakland, California, in 1979"

I didn't get to the songs as this just sums the article up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This writer is a dope, its obvious he did little research on his subject and until you reach the top 20 songs, he pretty much shits on the rest either through direct assault or back handed remarks. His opine about how Hots on for Nowhere had some of Plant's worse lyrics was laughable...did he even read them?

and I never knew Karak died in a auto-accident...who knew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t even bother reading it (the article) after Glancing at some of the worst choices while leaving some of the best way down the list. Why even bother writing an article ???

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

His opine about how Hots on for Nowhere had some of Plant's worse lyrics was laughable...did he even read them?

Indeed.  He is either lazy or intellectually dishonest, likely both.  His crack about the chorus is also telling in the same regard.  He is not hearing all the words, and he is not hearing the chorus in the context of the other words.  Just like reviewers did back on Celebration Day - they focused on the chorus and called it insipid.  If they had listened to the rest of the words they would have a better context for the chorus.  Similar thing was done by reviewers of For Your Life - they said the song was all about sex because Plant talked about his lemon.  They could not or would not understand the lyric at all.  Same thing happened with this joker and For Your Life.  For Your Life is one of the best anti drug songs ever written.

I would put these three songs among Plant's best lyrics.

Seinfeld had a name for people like the guy who wrote this list:  Hipster Doofus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, White Phone said:

I couldn’t finish reading it.  The same sort of over-written pseudo-intellectual drivel that has plagued many reviewers down thru the years, most of them more astute than this preening twit. Perhaps his really smart friends enjoyed it...

That is the comment of the day right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Several mistakes and smug horse shit..... There's plenty more, but not worth it.  

Hard to imagine that someone pays this hack a salary...

Plant brought along an old musical friend, a primitive drummer, almost Cro-Magnon artistically and socially, John Bonham.

Bonham’s role in an infamous on-tour incident at Oakland, California, in 1979. 

Grant died in 1995 of a heart attack, one of those rare people whose death gives the net humanity of the world a solid uptick.

What is Plant singing about? The title is obviously a reference to ancient Greece, but we get a name-check for New York early on, and then something about Albion, which is a fancy-pants word for England. Docked a half-dozen notches for being interminable.

Four Sticks,” Untitled, a.k.a. IV.  Probably the least interesting song on Zoso.

on Friends ..... here are a lot of weird things going on in the song, to no effect. A real mess.

It’s kinda funny to credit the song to the four members of the band and Stewart, too, and throw in a joking reference to “Mrs. Valens” — though it’s the kind of humor that allows one of the parties to go laughing all the way to the songwriting-royalties bank. Docked ten notches for song theft.

“In the Evening,” In Through the Out Door. Jimmy Page’s last great guitar moment on record. 

 In Through the Out Door. A year after the release of In Through the Out Door, the band’s seventh studio album,

a tribute to Plant’s young son, who died in a car accident. 

Edited by the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John M said:

Indeed.  He is either lazy or intellectually dishonest, likely both.  His crack about the chorus is also telling in the same regard.  He is not hearing all the words, and he is not hearing the chorus in the context of the other words.  Just like reviewers did back on Celebration Day - they focused on the chorus and called it insipid.  If they had listened to the rest of the words they would have a better context for the chorus.  Similar thing was done by reviewers of For Your Life - they said the song was all about sex because Plant talked about his lemon.  They could not or would not understand the lyric at all.  Same thing happened with this joker and For Your Life.  For Your Life is one of the best anti drug songs ever written.

I would put these three songs among Plant's best lyrics.

Seinfeld had a name for people like the guy who wrote this list:  Hipster Doofus.

I guess I would be a shitty critic because my reviews would either be, "good stuff, get this album" or "not my bag man, but if you dig it, right on." Music is just so damn subjective. I hate Ratt's music and most 80's hair bands but I could never give them a review like most critics do. I think the worse thing I would say is "lock up your cosmetics, hairspray, and lingerie ladies, Poison has just released a new album and will coming to your town soon."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 1:39 PM, in_the_evening said:

These lists are so subjective, but found it very interesting that Zep only had 74 studio songs (not including Coda).

Why would you not include Coda, or any of the other studio recordings released after 1979?

By my count there were 93 studio songs, not including alternate mixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...