Acoustic Guitars

MHD

I have wanted to learn acoustic for ages but shyed away from actually going out and buying one.

I really need some non technical total beginners advice...just a few pointers in the right direction. Also, can you effectively learn through books/DVDs? or are lessons the way to go? I know there will be a few of you guys who play..If you don't wanna do a long reply on the forum please feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks in advance.

I have wanted to learn acoustic for ages but shyed away from actually going out and buying one.

I really need some non technical total beginners advice...just a few pointers in the right direction. Also, can you effectively learn through books/DVDs? or are lessons the way to go? I know there will be a few of you guys who play..If you don't wanna do a long reply on the forum please feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks in advance.

Expect to spend at least 200$ for a guitar. You want something that is somewhat playable and of fair quality that will during your beginner's tenure. Anything less will be a compromise and not enjoyable to learn on.

I've never used any instruction DVDs ... I'm sure there are some good ones. But the most fun I had learning when I first started was by using a chord book. Just a catalogue of simple to complex chords. You will have immediate gratification if you can strum something that sounds good right away. Melody and rhythm will come once your hands become strong enough to strum a few simple chords...and your ears learn to hear what chords go together (a good chord book will show you the relations of the chords anyway).

That's where I would start.

Then, after you get the hang of how the guitar feels, maybe get some lessons, or hang out with other folks who may be beginners, but are more advanced than you. Jamming with others is the best way to learn.

~666

I'd start off with learning basic chords... pick a song that you like that sounds pretty easy and learn it. If you are learning stuff that you like it will motivate you more!

I've never taken a lesson in my life and that's pretty much how I started learning- stick with it and you will pick up more and more tips and tricks as you go along.

Thanks in advance.

I own and play a Guild D40 acoustic. Purchased around 1978. I would start off with lessons, but supplement them with books, DVD, etc. Even group lessons if they are available. I think the most important thing is to find people to play/practice with. Some simple concepts go a long way on the guitar, but you need to be determined to get though whatever difficulties you may experience getting your fingers used to a new way to work. blah, blah, blah.

Archived