40 years ago today

jsj

I’m surprised that no one has commented on the fact that it was forty years ago today that Zeppelin played their final gig.

forty years! and still some people speculate on whether they‘ll play again, while others seem to think they’re doing fans a disservice by not doing so. 

Probably because it depresses most people. I myself have preferred to concentrate on the 50th anniversary of the various 1970 tours. Much more fun and optimistic times for the band...and better shows.

Lastly, anyone who thinks a bunch of 70-year olds owe them a tour needs to get a life. Stop with that "doing fans a disservice" nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Strider said:

Lastly, anyone who thinks a bunch of 70-year olds owe them a tour needs to get a life. Stop with that "doing fans a disservice" nonsense.

I fully agree. It’s ridiculous

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Probably because it depresses most people. I myself have preferred to concentrate on the 50th anniversary of the various 1970 tours. Much more fun and optimistic times for the band...and better shows.

My thoughts exactly.  I did listen to the Berlin "Whole Lotta Love" because I've always liked it for the uniqueness anyway, but that's about all I bother with from that show.  I listen to the Frankfurt show once a year for its anniversary because I happen to have it in my iTunes library, but that's the extent of my 1980 listening.  The 50th anniversaries of various 1970 shows and other happenings are certainly more fun to celebrate.

As for the tour stuff, I agree.  As someone born in 1995, of course I would jump at the chance to go see them no matter what state they were in if they decided to do something, but it wouldn't be the real "them" without Bonzo, and they are acutely aware of that.  Besides, Jimmy was right a few years ago when he said (paraphrasing) that if it was going to happen, it would stand to reason that it would have been shortly after the 2007 show, so as to strike while the iron was hot.  The gap from that 2007 show to the present is now by far the longest period of inactivity at almost 13 years (if you count the 1998 Page & Plant tour as "Zeppelin activity").  Even if you don't, there was a 12-year gap between their Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction in 1995 and the 2007 show, so there's already been a longer gap than that.  They were 63, 61 and 59 at the 2007 show.  Even if the virus clears up on the most optimistic timeline and they could tour next summer, they'd be 77, 75 and almost 73, not to mention that Jason would be 55.  I'm sure he could handle it, but John never had to play this stuff beyond 32 -- it's not easy material to play to the level that they and their fans expect, unlike the Stones (who I also love and am happy to have seen five times even at this late stage of their career).  Five years ago I thought there was a decent, if unlikely chance.  Now I think there is no chance, but I'm at peace with that as I think it is the right decision for their legacy and shows the love and respect that they continue to have for Bonzo.