Why is the news media so friggin' STUPID?

Del Pezzelin

Do a Google news search for Led Zeppelin and many of the top results all have to do with Dave Grohl drumming for Led Zeppelin. What an insult to the talent and efforts of Jason Bonham. Who is spreading this crap? Of course Grohl would love to play with Led Zeppelin; what musician wouldn't? But turning the desires of one drummer into a news story that perpetuates a rumour that the band itself is considering this is irresponsible. Here's a perfect example from eGig.com, whatever the eff that is. The headline and first sentence read:

"Dave Grohl as Led Zeppelin drummer?

eGigs news, UK - Dec 31, 2007

Rumours are sparking that Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl may get the job of Led Zeppelin drummer."

Hell, sounds true to me, until you read the piece:

"Even though Grohl praised Jason Bonham's drumming at the charity gig, he is apparently desperate to get the chance to drum with the legendary group.

An "insider" source told the Daily Star “While he loves playing with Foo Fighters, Dave would drop anything to be part of Zep’s shows.”

Well, no shi-ott eGig, and thanks for contributing to my Carpal Tunnel syndrome by having me click on your pointless web poop.

There is only one drummer for Led Zeppelin and his last name is Bonham, and I'll bet Dave Grohl knows that too.

Del.

Responsibility... or more Web Traffic? (read: More Money)

the answer is quite simple to the media. they don't give a shit if it's responsible or not, just as long is it brings in traffic and isn't illegal.

If Zeppelin went on tour, and Grohl was their drummer, I would be pissed. I'd still go of course, but I don't really like him.

Dave keep dreaming and shut the F up,as long as Jason is around you would never even get to stand on stage with them. I dont think your any good I hated you in Nirvana and I hate you now so get a life Dave!!!!

Hate to say it, but with the Web, everyone here is responsible for propgating rumors moreso than newspapers and TV. Like I said, many of the sites folks here are deeming "media" and pulling stories from are nothing more than corporate sites or blogs. Those are NOT traditional media, though. But they do act as an old childhood game of "telephone" with the rumors morphing and spreading like wildfire with no checks nor balances to truth.

What you don't realize is that most newspapers would need more than one or two persons off the record saying something is going to happen. Whenever you see those type of sources off the record in respected newspapers, there is a lot more backing it up.

These stories I've seen posted are nothing more than industry papers or media services which are little more than PR/propaganda. Why is it that not one of these stories people have continually posted here had a name attached to these rumors?

Led Zep are hughly newsworthy at the moment so editors are putting pressure on their staff to come up with stories. As Solar says the web spreads gossip worldwide in the blink of an eye.

I monitor a LZ Newsnow site

http://newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?search=zepp...amp;x=7&y=5

and I see a nothing bit of LZ rumour from an obscure site spread like wildfire until it's picked up by sites that should know better.

It's no secret that DG would love to sit on John/Jason's stool,he's said so himself which is where this rumour started. But, any LZ fan with a 1/4 of a brain knows that if LZ do do more concerts it will be with Jason.

Dave was backstage at the O2 show, so it may have been possible Led Zeppelin could have been discussing this with Dave at the night of the show. So never know, the rumours could turn out true. The Rollingstone website said itself, it's only "speculation" so they know it may be true or not, so relax guys. Christ, this entire thread is so friggin stupid to be honest.

Dave was backstage at the O2 show, so it may have been possible Led Zeppelin could have been discussing this with Dave at the night of the show. So never know, the rumours could turn out true. The Rollingstone website said itself, it's only "speculation" so they know it may be true or not, so relax guys. Christ, this entire thread is so friggin stupid to be honest.

I just wonder if Grohl was one of those who ripped Zeppelin and other bands from the 70's as "Dinosaurs" when he was a kid. Maybe that was just a punk thing, I don't know. No biggie if he was, people grow up and their tastes change. But, I think it's a testament to the staying power of Zeppelin to have someone who has obviously been extremely successful in the business almost groveling to work with them like a toddler begging for a PS3 at Christmas.

I would still much rather see them do this with Jason than any other drummer in the world.

I just wonder if Grohl was one of those who ripped Zeppelin and other bands from the 70's as "Dinosaurs" when he was a kid. Maybe that was just a punk thing, I don't know. No biggie if he was, people grow up and their tastes change. But, I think it's a testament to the staying power of Zeppelin to have someone who has obviously been extremely successful in the business almost groveling to work with them like a toddler begging for a PS3 at Christmas.

I would still much rather see them do this with Jason than any other drummer in the world.

Dave Grohl has been an obsessive Led Zeppelin fan most of his life. He made it clear many times that Led Zeppelin was the band that made him want to play music.

They won't do it with any other drummer in the world and certainly weren't discussing it with DG backstage and The O2.

And you know they weren't discussing it backstage how? You weren't there backstage listening to everyword that Grohl, Page and Plant discuss backstage do ya? No. No one knows what they talked about backstage. It's no surprise that the news of Grohl possibly drumming for Zep being in the news since he was backstage so I assumed they could be discussing it then.

As a big fan of the Foo Fighters, Nirvana and Dave Grohl's drumming, I wouldn't go judging Dave's drum skills with Led Zeppelin this soon.

Dave is a great powerhouse drummer as I liked his drumming skills with Queens of the Stone Age.

So you know Dave can be very tight.

I don't think it's an "ego" thing for Dave wanting to drum for Led Zeppelin, I think Dave has what it takes and can do a good job.

If they want Dave to drum for Led Zeppelin, I'd say go for it. Maybe not the full tour but maybe at least invite Dave to drum for a few shows.

The negativity toward Dave is uncalled for.

Just because Dave may drum for Led Zeppelin still doesn't mean Led Zeppelin is gonna suck.

I think the bottom line is that any drummer with skill would die to drum for Led Zeppelin, even if it were just for rehearsals... Hell, I can't drum and I wouldn't mind going behind the skins... At least I'll be in the same room with Page, Plant and Jones for a few minutes before they find out I can't drum and toss me out.. LOL!!!!

I just wonder if Grohl was one of those who ripped Zeppelin and other bands from the 70's as "Dinosaurs" when he was a kid.

Nah, he is a longstanding and vocal fan. He has Bonham's "symbol" tattooed on his forearm. He has been saying that he would love to drum for them for as long as there have been reunion rumors. The thing is, the story is all about how much Grohl loves them and how he would love so much to play with them. Dave actually drumming for them is a non-story.

I've no wish to get into an argument with you LZR2007 but there's no way that they were discussing DG replacing JB on drums for any future band thing at The O2. If Plant is going to commit to LZ in the future he wouldn't do it without Jason. Bonham Snr meant to much to all of them to slight Jason like that on the night of their majestic comeback or any other night for that matter. Of course I wasn't there but I think I know enough about them having studied them for the best part of forty years to be absolutely sure of this.

Dave Grohl has said in a few interviews that it would be nice to play with Zeppelin, he's a massive fan so he probably would want to.

This gets blown up to "Led Zeppelin touring with Dave Grohl," the same way that when Jimmy said they'd be playing a song never played live before (FYL) it got turned into "Led Zeppelin playing a brand new song" and everybody then thought they were writing new material.

The Zep camp is quiet at the moment, but theyre as newsworthy as ever and so news websites make up stuff.

The way things are looking at the moment (Plant/Krauss, JPJ producing an album, Jason back with Foreigner) I doubt any tour is likely. This year anyway

Do a Google news search for Led Zeppelin and many of the top results all have to do with Dave Grohl drumming for Led Zeppelin. What an insult to the talent and efforts of Jason Bonham. Who is spreading this crap? Of course Grohl would love to play with Led Zeppelin; what musician wouldn't? But turning the desires of one drummer into a news story that perpetuates a rumour that the band itself is considering this is irresponsible. Here's a perfect example from eGig.com, whatever the eff that is. The headline and first sentence read:

"Dave Grohl as Led Zeppelin drummer?

eGigs news, UK - Dec 31, 2007

Rumours are sparking that Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl may get the job of Led Zeppelin drummer."

The Dave Grohl story is accurate, once you read that he isn't joining Zeppelin, but that it's simply wishful thinking on his part. But the editor, unfortunately, gave it a misleading title to get the attention of the reader.

Now, about the news media:

I've been a journalist for 25 years. The first few years, I was writing for some entertainement rag before I had any formal training in journalism. I later obtained a journalism degree, and I now work for a TV station in Canada.

You just made the kind of blanket statement about the media which I hear all the time. It's as deep as if I said, "I went to the doctor, he told me I had the flu when in fact it was cancer, so all health-care professionals are incompetent."

Entertainment news is the bastard child of the news media. For reasons I can,t fully grasp myself, entertainement news isn't subjected to the same journalism standards as mainstream hard-news. We wouldn't allow "anonymous sources" and rumours like this to be used in any other kind of news.

I think it comes from the fact that most entertainers (actors, musicians, etc...) have become masters at manipulating the media. And the media, rather than dispatch actual journalists who would check, double-check and triple check whatever an artist says, they simply send groupies and other cheearleaders to do the job. I know, I was one of them early in my career. So you end-up with web blogs like the one you quoted, which then feed into other media. And once in a while, mainstream media will pick it up and stick it into their entertainment pages as a cheap way to fill space. They won't check the facts reported by another media, because they assume that this other obscure media did its job, when in fact it often didn't.

Worse yet are SOME (but not all) entertainment magazines which agree to let the artist review (read, approve, censor) an article on them, in exchange for an "exclusive" interview.

Add to that the fact that mainstream media are often baffled by the fact that they spend months researching serious stories on science, political scandals, corruption etc, only to realize that the majority of viewers/readers are more interested in the latest antics of Paris Hilton, and you end-up with a press which all of a sudden becomes cynical about anything running in its entertainment pages.

Grunge went a long way towards killing hair metal which was a much more direct descendent of Zeppelin-style hard rock. So I'm sure a lot of grunge acolytes hated Zep. Dave Grohl himself has much more varied taste. For instance, he opened for the Police this year and seems to have a lot of respect for them.

The Dave Grohl story is accurate, once you read that he isn't joining Zeppelin, but that it's simply wishful thinking on his part. But the editor, unfortunately, gave it a misleading title to get the attention of the reader.

Now, about the news media:

I've been a journalist for 25 years. The first few years, I was writing for some entertainement rag before I had any formal training in journalism. I later obtained a journalism degree, and I now work for a TV station in Canada.

You just made the kind of blanket statement about the media which I hear all the time. It's as deep as if I said, "I went to the doctor, he told me I had the flu when in fact it was cancer, so all health-care professionals are incompetent."

Entertainment news is the bastard child of the news media. For reasons I can,t fully grasp myself, entertainement news isn't subjected to the same journalism standards as mainstream hard-news. We wouldn't allow "anonymous sources" and rumours like this to be used in any other kind of news.

I think it comes from the fact that most entertainers (actors, musicians, etc...) have become masters at manipulating the media. And the media, rather than dispatch actual journalists who would check, double-check and triple check whatever an artist says, they simply send groupies and other cheearleaders to do the job. I know, I was one of them early in my career. So you end-up with web blogs like the one you quoted, which then feed into other media. And once in a while, mainstream media will pick it up and stick it into their entertainment pages as a cheap way to fill space. They won't check the facts reported by another media, because they assume that this other obscure media did its job, when in fact it often didn't.

Worse yet are SOME (but not all) entertainment magazines which agree to let the artist review (read, approve, censor) an article on them, in exchange for an "exclusive" interview.

Add to that the fact that mainstream media are often baffled by the fact that they spend months researching serious stories on science, political scandals, corruption etc, only to realize that the majority of viewers/readers are more interested in the latest antics of Paris Hilton, and you end-up with a press which all of a sudden becomes cynical about anything running in its entertainment pages.

15 years as a journo here (though not on the entertainment side for more than a year or so), and I fully agree with this. Entertainment and sports "news" (re: speculation/innuendo/opinion) are selling newspapers and pumping TV ratings. This is generally true during any war time. But with the proliferation of things on the Web, it's spiraling out of control. The gatekeeper element which was there before -- the idea that news outlets sift through fact vs. rumor -- is virtually dead with all the wannabe journalists out there who are doing nothing more than gossiping in print.

15 years as a journo here (though not on the entertainment side for more than a year or so), and I fully agree with this. Entertainment and sports "news" (re: speculation/innuendo/opinion) are selling newspapers and pumping TV ratings. This is generally true during any war time. But with the proliferation of things on the Web, it's spiraling out of control. The gatekeeper element which was there before -- the idea that news outlets sift through fact vs. rumor -- is virtually dead with all the wannabe journalists out there who are doing nothing more than gossiping in print.

The Foo Fighters are a great band. Nirvana were a historically signifigant band. Dave Grohl is a hall of fame rocker, without question.

But, when it comes to Led Zeppelin, Dave is just a fan like the rest of us. I think fans who are a little put off by the media surrounding this are justified. Jason's association with Led Zeppelin obliterates any notion of nepotism... he happens to be a GREAT drummer who plays these songs like someone who is accidentally validating his inheritence. Even if you believe that it cannot be Led Zeppelin without Bonzo, you have to realize the next closest thing is having Jason on drums when they lay down Dazed and Confused or GTBT. Nobody else could even come close to replicating the experience of when this band was new.

Archived