Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
The Rover

Will Jimmy Page ever perform in public again ?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When I say perform, I mean as a lead guitarist, vs. some kind of rhythm guitar back-up, or, as a part of numerous other guitarists on a stage.

This is not so much a "will Led Zeppelin reform" question, as it is will there ever be "An Evening with Jimmy Page," where he plays music from his career, solo, or with others.

I have no longing for "a new album" or "New Music," as if that's going to be some kind of revelation. Jimmy has enough of a diverse and varied catalog to please himself and others by performing that, either with, or without vocal accompaniment.

Edited by The Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Here's an article that came out May 3, 2020:

Jimmy Page's Partner Reveals Their Quiet Home Life: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-home-life/

That was nice, but the UCR story you cited was only excerpts from a Music News Now article.

https://www.music-news.com/news/UK/131412/Scarlett-Sabet-felt-a-sense-of-shame-when-her-relationship-with-Jimmy-Page-was-made-public

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 11:04 AM, The Rover said:

When I say perform, I mean as a lead guitarist, vs. some kind of rhythm guitar back-up, or, as a part of numerous other guitarists on a stage.

This is not so much a "will Led Zeppelin reform" question, as it is will there ever be "An Evening with Jimmy Page," where he plays music from his career, solo, or with others.

I have no longing for "a new album" or "New Music," as if that's going to be some kind of revelation. Jimmy has enough of a diverse and varied catalog to please himself and others by performing that, either with, or without vocal accompaniment.

As of me typing this post, Jimmy Page is 76 years old.

For some perspective, here's a photo from 1987, showing a 43 year old Jimmy Page with Les Paul, who was 72 at the time.  As you look at the photo, imagine an alternate universe where it's the 72 year old that people keep hoping will go tour the world nonstop, spending countless hours on buses and airplanes, living out of hotels, and jumping around a stage for three hour concerts every night, playing music at jet-engine levels of loudness, with the stamina to rip through fiery extended solos from songs written 50 years ago, featuring overtly sexualized lyrics aimed at teenagers.  

 

1987_06-09_JimmyPage-LesPaul_75thBirthda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is only a month older than Page. Whilst I am not a fan at least he still plays and he was a smack head far longer than Page

Image result for keith richards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

This guy is only a month older than Page. Whilst I am not a fan at least he still plays and he was a smack head far longer than Page

Image result for keith richards

Yes, but that guy hasn't left the stage since the 1960s, and no one expects him to bust out a solo (which he has never been known for anyway). Also, he is still with his original band, who share the heavy lifting with him.  No different than the big productions by McCartney or the Who. They never stopped touring.

Jimmy hasn't even done anything on the small scale the past 13 years. Even Les Paul held down a weekly gig at the Iridium club in New York for 15 years at that age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"The song is over...."

In hindsight, it would seem that anything 'new' JPP offered from 1980 onward was met with a consistent 'meh' commercially and not all of the pieces of puzzle would ever fit uniformly or at the same time for him to actively ride a horse named, 'nostalgia' into the sunset.

Edited by Paimonus Rex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:23 PM, chillumpuffer said:

This guy is only a month older than Page. Whilst I am not a fan at least he still plays and he was a smack head far longer than Page

Image result for keith richards

but he plays in a band with another guitar player, two keyboards, horns and backing singers, and doesn't play complex pieces. there's quite a difference. my opinion is that Keith has been hopeless fir decades and Ronnie does most the work anyway. make Keith play the gig on his own without all the add on players and then we'll see what he's capable of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No.

Despite his age it might be feasible (physically), but that requires dedication and a continous life as an active musician. Someone like that is John McLaughlin who' s one year older than Jimmy, and is still at it.

 

Edited by Sandey
Spelling, reformulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sandey said:

No.

Despite his age it might be feasible (physically), but that requires dedication and a continous life as an active musician. Someone like that is John McLaughlin who' s one year older than Jimmy, and is still at it.

John dob 4 Jan 1942 (78)
Page dob 9 Jan 1944 (76)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Rover said:

John dob 4 Jan 1942 (78)
Page dob 9 Jan 1944 (76)

Indeed, due to the january birth I think of Jimmy as almost 1943. So two years older!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...