First Soundboard you Heard ?

John M

3 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

I guess I’ll go with this show “Cleveland 04/27/77 Destroyer “ Guess I’m not popular enough around here to get help.

Hi there, I just saw your original question...I most definitely would not start with Destroyer.  The sound quality is great, but the performance is average.

Here are four much better choices, one each from 1971, 1973, 1975 and 1977.  1972 only has the very partial soundboard from Long Beach.

9 hours ago, pageluvva said:

Me too my friend. I loved every single note of that show. The Doctor was played by Larry Badgley........... 

Funny that there was a story that the tour doctor (Badgley or otherwise) was angry about someone raiding his satchel for the pills. Page remarked asking who the hell does he think he is and who does he think is paying his salary. Not exactly conciliatory... :)

First soundboard heard on CD... Zurich 1980 on that original Twin Eagle release. Still have it too...crazy.

Edited by gcczep

On 7/15/2020 at 8:01 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Probably "Destroyer".  4 LP set. Can't remember the label.  I thought it was awful. It had gaps in the songs and the playing was less than good. The sound however was quite good in relation to the (Audience) Montreal Forum "World Tour 75 LP set and the " Cellarful of noise" Japan LP I had. Not a patch on "Earls Court"  and "No Quarter" (Red devil) audience LP's which were (are) just great. Forgive me if I'm wrong but was Kashmir seriously bad from Destroyer? I recall them being hopelessly fucking the song in some part and Plant had to ad lib to fill in the mistakes. I got it in the early 80's

I was on spring break in Daytona Beach and was jamming the BBC shows on the stereo we had in our room. Some others from Ohio came down to the room and started partying, talking about Zep and how they loved the band too. Later I went to their room and they had Destroyer. They played it for me and I was blown away by the sound quality - especially when Page finished TUF.  I dubbed their cassettes on my dual cassette boom box and thought I had the greatest thing since sliced bread. Kashmir was chopped up into clips, like you’re describing CP. I thought it was done by whomever taped it from vinyl to cassette as I never heard another version like it since. Unfortunately the first tape I did a high speed dub, so I have the Beatles bleeding through the song remains the same...  Those were the days.

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Unfortunately the first tape I did a high speed dub, so I have the Beatles bleeding through the song remains the same...  Those were the days.

Ah, kinda like how "All Right Now" and "Jumping Jack Flash" bleed through "Stairway" on the Tempe '77 audience tape!😄

You know, all these years I've never upgraded my copy of Destroyer from my old CDRs which I'm sure are sourced from the old vinyl versions...I've heard the "Master Reels" source and still prefer the version I have, 'cos it sounds like an actual live album and not a dry soundboard tape for some reason...

First bootleg was Dallas 4 March 1975 on a 90min cassette bought in the early 1990s in a second-hand record shop in Dublin which had trays of bootleg tapes right on the counter. Those literally were the days. The recording blew my mind and made the 1975 tour my favourite, not least because of the superior sound quality compared to other tours. If it's poor sound I just can't listen to it, audio snob that I may be.

Shortly after that, in the stoned summer of 1992, while working in the flower fields and bulb factories in western Netherlands, I bought a CD called In The Evening, Brussels 1980 in a small record shop, which was another insight into the band - although the audio quality was average at best.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:23 AM, RainbowElf said:

Can anyone recommend me a good sound board boot and are we allowed to send each other links to these soundboards to download?

Try searching for “black beauty Led Zeppelin bootlegs”. 
Every show is represented here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 5:01 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Probably "Destroyer".  4 LP set. Can't remember the label.  I thought it was awful. It had gaps in the songs and the playing was less than good. The sound however was quite good in relation to the (Audience) Montreal Forum "World Tour 75 LP set and the " Cellarful of noise" Japan LP I had. Not a patch on "Earls Court"  and "No Quarter" (Red devil) audience LP's which were (are) just great. Forgive me if I'm wrong but was Kashmir seriously bad from Destroyer? I recall them being hopelessly fucking the song in some part and Plant had to ad lib to fill in the mistakes. I got it in the early 80's

I'm pretty sure that's the same for me from what I can recall.  Didn't buy it but gave it a listen.

A single disc of a part of Dallas 75, think it was Great Dane label or possibly Seagull-time dims the memory, and the disc is long gone as it developed a fault. Was a neat black coloured cd though!

In the late 70's my  first soundboard was Destroyer 27/4/77  ....and I was SO disappointed.   I already had the audience Destroyer of the next night 28/4/77  and the difference stunned me.  To this day I would much rather have a decent audience recording than any soundboard.  As Jimmy said himself about Zeppelin...."above all else an ambient band "    In my opinion soundboards had an inflated reputation for many years when it came to Zep....( and a lot of people confuse sound board with multi track ) and my go to was Destroyer 28/4/77 and the Millard LA shows. The 1980 original soundboards just confirmed my belief.

Having said that, I am old school and confess I have lost track of all the stuff that can be done now with new technology, Matrixes, new sources, mixing of xources etc....so much out there now.     

13 minutes ago, dave2007 said:

Having said that, I am old school and confess I have lost track of all the stuff that can be done now with new technology, Matrixes, new sources, mixing of xources etc....so much out there now.     

The tide has turned for the better. Soundboards can now be remixed into stereo and remastered. It still takes some work to bring out their best, but technology has made it much simpler.

Edited by SteveZ98