Ten Years Gone

Growing up I always had a fondness for older music. I went to high school in mid 80’s. The music I liked was the Animals, the Doors, Jimi, and of course Zeppelin. This music was out of my era, but I loved it.

Over the years I came to appreciate more and more the beauty of what was the musical combinations from zeppelin. After hearing so many of their songs repeatedly, I had to think, if one was my favorite. The one that I would just sit back and appreciate for the lyrics, the guitar, the drums, the beauty of the combination, TEN YEARS GONE. Beautiful masterpiece, I could hear over and over and still hear something new each time. 

I found this forum, I created this new account just to share my thoughts and express my feelings I have for just this song. Thank you for allowing me to do that. A respectful fan. 🙂

A fine choice and welcome to the board! All the best elements of the band certainly came together on TYG. Some brilliant live performances of the song in 1977 if you're so inclined to seek them out.

Here's an excerpt of Jimmy working on the song in its formative stages.

Welcome aboard Ten Years Gone fan.

"Ten Years Gone" is one of my all-time faves by Led Zeppelin...it's in my LZ Top 10. Some songs I loved early and later grew tired of, some songs I was ambivalent towards but grew to like them later on. But "Ten Years Gone" I loved immediately and I still love it 45 years later.

Edited by Strider

On 7/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, Zep Hed said:

A fine choice and welcome to the board! All the best elements of the band certainly came together on TYG. Some brilliant live performances of the song in 1977 if you're so inclined to seek them out.

Here's an excerpt of Jimmy working on the song in its formative stages.

Thanks for sharing that! Ten Years Gone is my favorite Zep song ever. Was listening to Seattle 77 earlier which has the greatest live version of it, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Quick question Strider . . Is this a part of what was stolen fom JP in the 80s?

Are you talking about the clip Zep Hed shared? I have no first-hand knowledge of what exactly was stolen by Jimmy's houseguest in the 1980s. Only conjecture based on certain circumstances...i.e. the sudden appearance of the 1980 tour soundboards on the bootleg market later that decade.

But it is possible that this was part of the cache of tapes stolen. Along with the Bron-Yr-Aur cottage acoustic stuff and the Bombay orchestra sessions and 1973 soundboards.