Petition to get the 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance to be remastered and officially released.

Hi everyone, I am a massive Led Zeppelin fan ever since I heard Black Dog for the first time on the mothership album when I was young. As I got older I was jaded to Zeppelin until I started registering to music I loved growing up as a junior in high school. I listened to Led Zeppelin 1 and it blew me away then I was randomly taken to a streaming website where I watched Zeppelins legendary performance at Royal Albert Hall in 1970 and I haven't turned back since. Over the years I have been absolutely obsessed with this performance. Footage, photos, bootleg audio, you name it and I have done it pertaining this performance. So when the 50th anniversary came this year, I got extremely excited. January 9th came and nothing was announced. I was genuinely shocked and it seemed that a lot of people we're surprised there was no news about FINALLY releasing this as an offical album and maybe remastering the footage/releasing it in hd. Well since this is my favorite performance ever I finally want Led Zeppelin to acknowledge that we want that to be released. So I started a change.org petition so we can have our voices heard that we want this to happen. Thank you for taking the time to read this, it truly means a lot to me.

https://www.change.org/p/led-zeppelin-to-get-led-zeppelin-to-release-their-1970-rah-performance-as-a-live-album-and-blu-ray/dashboard?just_created=true

zep_waifu2x_photo_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

As I have said previously in several posts, I wouldn't mind a 'Super Deluxe' box of RAH '70. I love that concert.

Yeah. I'd like to have this concert on quality vinyl. The box would look good sitting with the BBC Sessions, How The West Was Won, The Song Remains the Same, and Celebration Day boxes.

33 minutes ago, Strider said:

Yeah. I'd like to have this concert on quality vinyl. The box would look good sitting with the BBC Sessions, How The West Was Won, The Song Remains the Same, and Celebration Day boxes.

Exactly, I know the concert is easy to access but its been 50 years and it at least deserves to be released as a real album. They have the recordings and the footage of the show plus it was 50 years ago this year.

They already released RAH nearly 20 years ago. Go download a copy of DVD Audio ripper and there you go. There are other unreleased performances which are far more deserving of release...

1968 UK live recordings

Bill Graham recordings from the San Francisco and New York Fillmore shows in 1969.

Boston Tea Party 1969

Festival recordings from summer 1969

Bath 1970

Japan 1971

18 hours ago, pluribus said:

They already released RAH nearly 20 years ago. Go download a copy of DVD Audio ripper and there you go. There are other unreleased performances which are far more deserving of release...

1968 UK live recordings

Bill Graham recordings from the San Francisco and New York Fillmore shows in 1969.

Boston Tea Party 1969

Bath 1970

Japan 1971

Yeah I understand they released it on dvd. Hell I think most people on this forum have audio ripped the concert from the dvd. I'm not saying that other concerts don't deserve to be released but this one is one of their most complete and it was a big deal for them to preform there as headliners. I'm just saying it should be an album already, I shouldn't have to find a dvd from 2003 to listen to it. Plus it was professionally filmed and it would look great if they rescanned the footage for an hd release.

Edited by Decker70

I wouldn't mind a Led Zeppelin Bluray with higher quality RAH and unedited TSRTS videos. Plus since they hold more, they could put more of Earls Court and Knebworth, and maybe some unreleased stuff. I mean a colorized version of Denmark 1969 would be cool, especially since color photographs exist so no guessing needed. Bath 1970 is definitely something that could be put in and maybe some of that rumored 1969 footage (Texas Pop and Central Park), although rumored footage is something for a completely different thread.

2 hours ago, Decker70 said:

Yeah I understand they released it on dvd. Hell I think most people on this forum have audio ripped the concert from the dvd. I'm not saying that other concerts don't deserve to be released but this one is one of their most complete and it was a big deal for them to preform there as headliners. I'm just saying it should be an album already, I shouldn't have to find a dvd from 2003 to listen to it. Plus it was professionally filmed and it would look great if they rescanned the footage for an hd release.

I get it. That being said, if the band announced that the next live release was a CD of Royal Albert Hall, I think there would be many of us who would be downright pissed. We need more releases from the archives, not more rehashes of material we’ve all already bought.

FYI, they had already headlined the Royal Albert Hall in June 1969,. THAT would be a cool show to hear. As for 1970, I think the performance the day before the January 9 show, in Bristol, is much better. Check it out.

Edited by pluribus

2 hours ago, pluribus said:

I get it. That being said, if the band announced that the next live release was a CD of Royal Albert Hall, I think there would be many of us who would be downright pissed. We need more releases from the archives, not more rehashes of material we’ve all already bought.

FYI, they had already headlined the Royal Albert Hall in June 1969,. THAT would be a cool show to hear. As for 1970, I think the performance the day before the January 9 show, in Bristol, is much better. Check it out.

I know that they headlined Royal Albert Hall in 69 but I don't know if there are any professional recordings of that event. If their 1970 performance was released then I think they could do a deluxe version like they did with the remasters. I would love to hear what they sounded on their first visit. I've listened to the Bristol 1970 performance and I agree that performance is really awesome, but I only know that its a bootleg recording. If the 1970 RAH show were to be remastered then I hope it would lead to more archived recorded concerts to be unearthed and worked on.  I only know of the 1970 RAH performance to only be released on the dvd in 2003. I don't think a lot of people would be disappointed, I think a lot of people like myself love that show and if they remaster it then they may add some lost tracks like the unfinished recording of Heartbreaker. Its all speculation since the only person who would really knows is Jimmy. If the bristol show were to be released then I think it would be like the deluxe version of Led Zeppelin 1 where they included their 69 Paris concert which was really cool to hear. It seems that the RAH performance was a big deal to the band since on the 50th anniversary of the performance, Jimmy had this to say about it on his Instagram. " Every member of the band was nervous and for good reason. We had played the Albert Hall previously on the Pop Proms, but today in 1970 we were to headline our own show at the most prestigious venue at that time. During the previous year we had been putting in a lot of time in America and recorded the second album, released on 22nd October 1969. It was going to be a critical test of our ability; not only to our fans, but to the press and our families and all in attendance that evening. That evening I met Charlotte, my daughter Scarlet's mother." So from that plus all the research I've conducted over the years, I get a sense that this was a big deal to the band. I'm not saying that other shows shouldn't be released. I think that since the band was working on recovering and remastering a bunch of stuff for the documentary, that they may release a early years box set from all the archived stuff from the documentary. At least that's what I hope, but any new Zeppelin stuff is good. I just want this concert as an album is all. It just doesn't make any sense why they haven't. I hope something like this would lead to more live albums to be released.

Edited by Decker70

On 7/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, Decker70 said:

Hi everyone, I am a massive Led Zeppelin fan ever since I heard Black Dog for the first time on the mothership album when I was young. As I got older I was jaded to Zeppelin until I started registering to music I loved growing up as a junior in high school. I listened to Led Zeppelin 1 and it blew me away then I was randomly taken to a streaming website where I watched Zeppelins legendary performance at Royal Albert Hall in 1970 and I haven't turned back since. Over the years I have been absolutely obsessed with this performance. Footage, photos, bootleg audio, you name it and I have done it pertaining this performance. So when the 50th anniversary came this year, I got extremely excited. January 9th came and nothing was announced. I was genuinely shocked and it seemed that a lot of people we're surprised there was no news about FINALLY releasing this as an offical album and maybe remastering the footage/releasing it in hd. Well since this is my favorite performance ever I finally want Led Zeppelin to acknowledge that we want that to be released. So I started a change.org petition so we can have our voices heard that we want this to happen. Thank you for taking the time to read this, it truly means a lot to me.

https://www.change.org/p/led-zeppelin-to-get-led-zeppelin-to-release-their-1970-rah-performance-as-a-live-album-and-blu-ray/dashboard?just_created=true

zep_waifu2x_photo_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg

A petition, you're kidding. I'm happy with DVD and my fan made download. Each to there own. EDIT, 12 sigs I see, on your way there kiddo, good luck.

Edited by JTM

I'm never again buying anything that's been previously released. Flat-out nothing.
Line up, lube up and bend over for the Marketing Depts' latest scam to get us to fork out for things we already own? Nah.
We need previously unreleased stuff. But we won't get it while ever people are willing to re-buy the same stuff, over and over.   

16 hours ago, EthanG said:

I wouldn't mind a Led Zeppelin Bluray with higher quality RAH and unedited TSRTS videos. Plus since they hold more, they could put more of Earls Court and Knebworth, and maybe some unreleased stuff. I mean a colorized version of Denmark 1969 would be cool, especially since color photographs exist so no guessing needed. Bath 1970 is definitely something that could be put in and maybe some of that rumored 1969 footage (Texas Pop and Central Park), although rumored footage is something for a completely different thread.

Yeah Knebworth and Earls Court would be awesome to see get worked on. I think TSRTS is already fine and I love the resteration they did for the blu ray and the album. The only thing I can see them doing with that is doing a 4k remaster of the film. I think the early unseen stuff is being restored for the documentary. I think maybe that's why its been in post production for so long and missed its release date maybe because they are remastering a bunch of early stuff to release next to the film. I'm really curious to see what comes out for that especially with the unreleased early footage of Bonham talking about the band. The Baths concert would be a holy grail release especially if the band got the rights to the film. I think that would be excellent to see.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, pluribus said:

1968 UK live recordings

Boston Tea Party 1969

Bath 1970

Japan 1971

It's not the same. RAH '70 is ideal for a 'Super Deluxe' box. It has excellent audio quality, and most importantly, it's professionally filmed. It's not hard to imagine a box set in the style of 'BBC', 'HTWWW' and 'TSRTS'.The box could contain four vinyls, two or three CDs, the DVD, a book, the cover printed in high quality and individually numbered, and the code to download it from the Internet. I would pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the other concerts shouldn't be officially released, but RAH '70 is ideal for Jimmy's perfectionist style.

Edited by Rodrigo

4 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

It's not the same. RAH '70 is ideal for a 'Super Deluxe' box. It has excellent audio quality, and most importantly, it's professionally filmed. It's not hard to imagine a box set in the style of 'BBC', 'HTWWW' and 'TSRTS'.The box could contain four vinyls, two or three CDs, the DVD, a book, the cover printed in high quality and individually numbered, and the code to download it from the Internet. I would pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the other concerts shouldn't be officially released, but RAH '70 is ideal for Jimmy's perfectionist style.

+1

... and it’s on his birthday 

R😎

I would of course buy it right away were it ever officially released, but we do at least have this concert available in very nice quality, along with the ample footage released on DVD.  I would be much more grateful for an archive release of something we’ve never heard before...

9 minutes ago, White Phone said:

I would of course buy it right away were it ever officially released, but we do at least have this concert available in very nice quality, along with the ample footage released on DVD.  I would be much more grateful for an archive release of something we’ve never heard before...

That's why I'm excited to see what they release when the documentary comes out. They were hyping up them remastering all of this early unseen stuff so I think that's bound to happen.

If they went back to the film then I think it could look really amazing. I would assume that since they rescanned it in 03 then they probably made copies of it. We've come very very far in our technology to preserve film since then. TSRTS looks super awesome remastered and it just goes to show that something shot all the way back could still look fantastic. If anyone wants any examples of what I'm talking about, my prime example would be the Apollo 11 documentary that paramount made last year. All the footage is from 1969 and it looks absolutely jaw dropping. Its a true testament at how far we've come with this technology and I would love this to be implemented with the RAH performance. I think its awesome that Zeppelin has been documented so much on film and audio. The only thing I would hope if they ever touched the RAH footage or any footage is that they don't mess with the aspect ratio.

Edited by Decker70

31 minutes ago, White Phone said:

Apollo 11 is brilliant, no doubt about it.  Absolutely great film.

Here’s hoping it doesn’t take 50 years for Zeppelin to get their Apollo documentary off the ground...  😉

Yeah hopefully we get an update on where it is in post production soon.

18 hours ago, Decker70 said:

If they went back to the film then I think it could look really amazing. I would assume that since they rescanned it in 03 then they probably made copies of it. We've come very very far in our technology to preserve film since then. TSRTS looks super awesome remastered and it just goes to show that something shot all the way back could still look fantastic. If anyone wants any examples of what I'm talking about, my prime example would be the Apollo 11 documentary that paramount made last year. All the footage is from 1969 and it looks absolutely jaw dropping. Its a true testament at how far we've come with this technology and I would love this to be implemented with the RAH performance. I think its awesome that Zeppelin has been documented so much on film and audio. The only thing I would hope if they ever touched the RAH footage or any footage is that they don't mess with the aspect ratio.

Dude. The reason that Apollo 11 footage looked amazing is because it was filmed using 70mm cameras. Yes, NASA had the vision and foresight (and the budget) to use 70mm cameras to film portions of the Apollo missions.

Unfortunately, Led Zeppelin didn't hire anyone to film Royal Albert Hall or Madison Square Garden or Earls Court or the L.A. Forum using 70mm cameras.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Every time Jimmy revisits something, it often gets smaller. Look how "How the West Was Won" shrunk. The BBC Sessions still aren't complete. You could end up with a RAH '70 that has the "How Many More Times" medley edited out. Or an edited "White Summer" or "Moby Dick" to make accomodations for the space limitations of vinyl.