Petition to get the 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance to be remastered and officially released.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Dude. The reason that Apollo 11 footage looked amazing is because it was filmed using 70mm cameras. Yes, NASA had the vision and foresight (and the budget) to use 70mm cameras to film portions of the Apollo missions.

Unfortunately, Led Zeppelin didn't hire anyone to film Royal Albert Hall or Madison Square Garden or Earls Court or the L.A. Forum using 70mm cameras.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Every time Jimmy revisits something, it often gets smaller. Look how "How the West Was Won" shrunk. The BBC Sessions still aren't complete. You could end up with a RAH '70 that has the "How Many More Times" medley edited out. Or an edited "White Summer" or "Moby Dick" to make accomodations for the space limitations of vinyl.

Even though RAH definitely wasn't 70mm, 16mm can still look very good. I mean, look at the restored Beatles Let it Be Movie footage on 1+ and a much later example, Nirvana live at the Parmount in 1991. Both were 16mm and look stunning. While not 70mm quality, RAH can definitely be restored to a higher definition. Speaking of 70mm, did any band even use 70mm film to film any concerts? The only example I have ever heard was Pink Floyd on The Wall concerts in 1981 and that's just what Roger Waters says (Still refuses to release it though).

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Dude. The reason that Apollo 11 footage looked amazing is because it was filmed using 70mm cameras. Yes, NASA had the vision and foresight (and the budget) to use 70mm cameras to film portions of the Apollo missions.

Unfortunately, Led Zeppelin didn't hire anyone to film Royal Albert Hall or Madison Square Garden or Earls Court or the L.A. Forum using 70mm cameras.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Every time Jimmy revisits something, it often gets smaller. Look how "How the West Was Won" shrunk. The BBC Sessions still aren't complete. You could end up with a RAH '70 that has the "How Many More Times" medley edited out. Or an edited "White Summer" or "Moby Dick" to make accomodations for the space limitations of vinyl.

Yeah, you're right about the 70 mm film aspect but that would be pretty insane if they had that for a Zeppelin concert. Anyway I just made that as a comparison about preserving and cleaning up film, sorry if I made a bad comparison. I still think that TSRTS looks great remastered on 35 mm. I still think the same could hold true for RAH or even the Bath concert (if we ever see what it looks like). 

6 hours ago, EthanG said:

Even though RAH definitely wasn't 70mm, 16mm can still look very good. I mean, look at the restored Beatles Let it Be Movie footage on 1+ and a much later example, Nirvana live at the Parmount in 1991. Both were 16mm and look stunning. While not 70mm quality, RAH can definitely be restored to a higher definition. Speaking of 70mm, did any band even use 70mm film to film any concerts? The only example I have ever heard was Pink Floyd on The Wall concerts in 1981 and that's just what Roger Waters says (Still refuses to release it though).

I don't think really any band has used that tech. 70 mm takes a huge budget to film and a pretty big crew. There has been some footage of the Wall concerts but they just aren't lit correctly to be seen on film so that why Roger hasn't released it. Its really amazing how far we've come with scanning film. I thought the footage from the Eight Days A Week looked pretty insanely clear. Stuff like that just gets me excited at how great this stuff could look and I think I said the same when I saw TSRTS on blu ray.

Edited by Decker70

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 2:19 AM, Decker70 said:

Hi everyone, I am a massive Led Zeppelin fan ever since I heard Black Dog for the first time on the mothership album when I was young. As I got older I was jaded to Zeppelin until I started registering to music I loved growing up as a junior in high school. I listened to Led Zeppelin 1 and it blew me away then I was randomly taken to a streaming website where I watched Zeppelins legendary performance at Royal Albert Hall in 1970 and I haven't turned back since. Over the years I have been absolutely obsessed with this performance. Footage, photos, bootleg audio, you name it and I have done it pertaining this performance. So when the 50th anniversary came this year, I got extremely excited. January 9th came and nothing was announced. I was genuinely shocked and it seemed that a lot of people we're surprised there was no news about FINALLY releasing this as an offical album and maybe remastering the footage/releasing it in hd. Well since this is my favorite performance ever I finally want Led Zeppelin to acknowledge that we want that to be released. So I started a change.org petition so we can have our voices heard that we want this to happen. Thank you for taking the time to read this, it truly means a lot to me.

https://www.change.org/p/led-zeppelin-to-get-led-zeppelin-to-release-their-1970-rah-performance-as-a-live-album-and-blu-ray/dashboard?just_created=true

zep_waifu2x_photo_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg

Hello. As much as I'd love a full release of this magnificent show. Its highly likely Jimmy won't rerelease it. However. I do have what is known to be the the most complete recording of this performance. It includes a portion of "Organ Solo/Thank You" on it. Some patches from the lost sessions that add more to listen to on a couple songs. Including the full version of "Long Tall Sally" with the audience patches. Unfortunately we may never hear "Since I've Been Loving You" from this night. If you do want a link let me know.

5 hours ago, chicagogarza said:

Hello. As much as I'd love a full release of this magnificent show. Its highly likely Jimmy won't rerelease it. However. I do have what is known to be the the most complete recording of this performance. It includes a portion of "Organ Solo/Thank You" on it. Some patches from the lost sessions that add more to listen to on a couple songs. Including the full version of "Long Tall Sally" with the audience patches. Unfortunately we may never hear "Since I've Been Loving You" from this night. If you do want a link let me know.

IF - Jimmy has the entire show on a multi-track, it is criminal not to release it. CRIMINAL! :rant:

On 8/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, chicagogarza said:

Sure!

6 hours ago, Sandey said:

If there was a choice, I would much rather see an official  release of Japan 1971, not that a complete RAH wouldn't be nice.

I hear you, Jimmy really should give these Japan tapes a "state of the art treatment" at Abbey Road studios. And yes, a complete RAH would be fantastic.  They were incredibly good in 70 & 71, unsurpassed.