Jimmy Page says it’s “really unlikely” that Led Zeppelin will tour again in the future

The Rover

6 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

I agree, I don't think it would sound like it does had they done their own thing, and if Bill had been a part of it, still not a bad album though.

I have to disagree, I would've loved for Zep to have put out a new album, imagine the possibilties?

Thing is - the three of them haven't worked together since 1980. A lot of time passed, not to mention certainly Robert and John Paul have gone in very different directions. Im not so sure they still have that magic together. Not to mention Bonzo was a big part of their sound. 

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I like 13, it's their best album since Sabotage imho.

I would say their best album since The Devil You Know, or if you’re an Ozzy only guy Never Say Die! Now The Devil You Know, that was possibly their last greatest album after Dehumanizer, it wasn’t formulated after the Dio era, if anything it was their heaviest and doomiest sounding album since Master of Reality.

2 minutes ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Thing is - the three of them haven't worked together since 1980. A lot of time passed, not to mention certainly Robert and John Paul have gone in very different directions. Im not so sure they still have that magic together. Not to mention Bonzo was a big part of their sound. 

This is a very true statement and something I hadn’t thought about, it makes sense, it probably would’ve taken them a long time to put something great together and perhaps Robert felt the chemistry just wasn’t there anymore so he decided to opt against it.

And you’re also right about Bonzo, I feel Bill did the same for Sabbath and while 13 is decent I think it could’ve been a lot better with Bill’s creativity, maybe Rick Rubin didn’t want that.

3 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Imo, nothing any of them have done post Zeppelin, eclipses any of the best work of LZ.

Some must think that creativity is some constant that runs through an artist's entire life.

The magic of LZ was the four together. Well, that's gone now. So some new album waiting to happen, for me, that's the highest pie-in-the-sky thought ever.

9 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

I would say their best album since The Devil You Know, or if you’re an Ozzy only guy Never Say Die! Now The Devil You Know, that was possibly their last greatest album after Dehumanizer, it wasn’t formulated after the Dio era, if anything it was their heaviest and doomiest sounding album since Master of Reality.

Never Say Die is a Sabbath album not an Ozzy only. I saw them on that tour.

6 hours ago, The Rover said:

Imo, nothing any of them have done post Zeppelin, eclipses any of the best work of LZ.

Some must think that creativity is some constant that runs through an artist's entire life.

The magic of LZ was the four together. Well, that's gone now. So some new album waiting to happen, for me, that's the highest pie-in-the-sky thought ever.

It's the same with almost every member of famous bands. Often they suck outside the band context. My favourite example besides LZ is Queen. One of my favourite bands. But non of their members has done anything great after they lost Freddie. 

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Me too, Liverpool Empire, it was an added date so Van Halen did not support (bummer).

A year or so ago Plant played some shows in Iceland, and his band did a short version of Immigrant Song, tuned WAYYYY down, and Robert still sounded really weak trying to hit those notes.  It was then I really understood his decision not to tour w Zep again, his voice has dropped so low he can’t even come close anymore to Zep catalog.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Me too, Liverpool Empire, it was an added date so Van Halen did not support (bummer).

Yeah bummer. Couldn't get tickets for the original Manchester shows and they added an extra date . Tanz der Youth (apparently) supported them and we were in the pub with Geezer, Tony and Bill before the show. Ozzy wasn't in the pub (un) surprisingly. Van Halen got removed from the tour again unsurprisingly. Sabs were great. I was 4 rows in the stalls in front of Ozzy.

4 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yeah bummer. Couldn't get tickets for the original Manchester shows and they added an extra date . Tanz der Youth (apparently) supported them and we were in the pub with Geezer, Tony and Bill before the show. Ozzy wasn't in the pub (un) surprisingly. Van Halen got removed from the tour again unsurprisingly. Sabs were great. I was 4 rows in the stalls in front of Ozzy.

Ah, Tanz der Youth, is that who it was (I did catch some of their set). The Sabs though I thought to be just going through the motions.

29 minutes ago, JTM said:

Ah, Tanz der Youth, is that who it was (I did catch some of their set). The Sabs though I thought to be just going through the motions.

Yeah that's who it was. I concur about the Sabs, as Ozzy was on his way out, but it was the only time I had seen them and were one of the first bands I got into so, you know, seeing them was a highlight for me. Had bad neck ache for a few days and I think I had to be in shape for The Scorpions a few days later.:D

8 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I know it is, some people are Ozzy era only and some are Dio era only and others are Martin era only, see what I'm saying?

That's great you saw them Chillumpuffer, I like that album, though a lot of people don't and neither does the band for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

It's the same with almost every member of famous bands. Often they suck outside the band context. My favourite example besides LZ is Queen. One of my favourite bands. But non of their members has done anything great after they lost Freddie. 

Not to mention Mick Jagger's awful solo albums, Roger Daltrey's solo career, etc. Plant is one of the very few who's been a frontman of a huge rock band and had a succesful solo career. Ozzy is another, but he did it by doing virtually nothing different solo to what he'd done in Sabbath. Plant by contrast has taken chances and good for him.

1 hour ago, RainbowElf said:

I know it is, some people are Ozzy era only and some are Dio era only and others are Martin era only, see what I'm saying?

That's great you saw them Chillumpuffer, I like that album, though a lot of people don't and neither does the band for whatever reason.

I am not a fan of that Album and the Video of them from that tour at Hammersmith was a chance lost as the sound is dreadful. I lost interest in Sabbath really when Ozzy was kicked out. Bit like your Avatar. Saw Rainbow in 1978 and lost interest soon after Dio left. I mean Graham Bonnet?

8 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I am not a fan of that Album and the Video of them from that tour at Hammersmith was a chance lost as the sound is dreadful. I lost interest in Sabbath really when Ozzy was kicked out. Bit like your Avatar. Saw Rainbow in 1978 and lost interest soon after Dio left. I mean Graham Bonnet?

Yeah not crazy about post Dio Rainbow, it was a total different sound with Bonnet and Turner.

Edited by RainbowElf

11 hours ago, bluecongo said:

A year or so ago Plant played some shows in Iceland, and his band did a short version of Immigrant Song, tuned WAYYYY down, and Robert still sounded really weak trying to hit those notes.  It was then I really understood his decision not to tour w Zep again, his voice has dropped so low he can’t even come close anymore to Zep catalog.

Don't sing those Zep songs with the high registers, or take them down in octave.

15 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

I would say that The Who and Pink Floyd, performing songs from their prime, after departure of Moon, and Waters, were worth seeing. And in their case, material written post departure, had some things worthy to perform as well.

15 hours ago, 76229 said:

Not to mention Mick Jagger's awful solo albums, Roger Daltrey's solo career, etc. Plant is one of the very few who's been a frontman of a huge rock band and had a succesful solo career. Ozzy is another, but he did it by doing virtually nothing different solo to what he'd done in Sabbath. Plant by contrast has taken chances and good for him.

I agree. I like some of Ozzy's solo stuff more than some Sabbath. Especially the Randy Rhoads records are favourites of mine.

Regarding Plant, I tried to like his stuff. But I just can't. I liked Raising Sand but that is mainly due to Allison Kraus. I still like his voice though.

Edited by the-ocean87

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, The Rover said:

Happy to let the man retire in peace. Has he, bty, officially announced his retirement, or should we just project that on him to suit out constructs? He can be who he wants to be, and Jimmy certainly does not have to try and be "Chuck Berry" or "Les Paul."

I mean, the guy is pushing 80.  Can’t we call his retirement for him?

Indeed. He's done enough, surely? He's Jimmy Page, FFS, he's earned the right to do (or not do) whatever he wants. 
Hands up anyone who really believed any of that 'playing live/new album...next year...' stuff?
No, me neither. 

What would be a perfect thing now for JP to do would be to release an official companion (audio) release to his Anthology book. It could be in all the various formats (CD, Vinyl, Digital) with his sigil on it and a nice booklet with his recollections of favorites over the years (early skiffle playing, studio work, uncredited surprises, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin highlights / alternate mixes, ARMS, soundtrack highlights, The Firm highlights, collaborations w/ Coverdale Page, Page & Plant, Roy Harper, The Black Crowes, solo stuff (Julie Felix show, Outrider highlights, NetAid, It Might Get Loud, etc). It would sum up his career nicely. Robert Plant has an anthology cd due this fall, so why not JP???

R😎

Edited by reids

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jimmy needs to put out his own autobiography. He's got either an excellent memory or took excellent notes on his early career going all the way back to his first gigs. He updates his Facebook page daily (sometimes Sharon does it for him) and has fascinating little stories about what he did on this day in 1964 or whatever year. He's got tons of pictures too. Really cool stuff. He digs deep into his studio career with interesting anecdotes galore. I'm sure he could reveal some insights about how he approached composition, his knowledge of music theory, his approach to production, how he practiced his guitar and so many other interesting things.

Jimmy is at that age where you can go at any time. That's life. I hope he gets this stuff out soon. That goes for the other members too. I bet JPJ could have a 1500 page biography himself!