DSOTM vs WYWH

2bitnogoodjive

"i'm stoned as hell, i found three kick ass notes lets go with it"

dsotm for me. more intense more focused more relevant more to the point.

no actually it has the distinction of being the first i heard at an impressionable age

so i feel i may be biased by that in my choosing. i could have done without

so much "shinning crazy diamond madness part 20" and maybe devoting the time slots to a couple more shorter songs and maybe stretching it out live, instead of

sneaking it past the seemingly morphine slumped producer . still a great album. i can't imagine a music collection without those 3 notes and welcome to the machine in it.

Well seeing that Pink Floyd is up there with Zeppelin in my favourite bands, this is a hard one but it has to be DSOTM mainly because it brings back memories of a beautiful summer's day in Hyde Park in 2006 in which Roger Waters and Nick Mason played the album all the way through.

Two sonic masterpieces. If you could only choose one or the other, which one?

That's a hard question as I don't think I could live without one or the other. I love both and consider each one to be essential PF. In the end, I would probably choose DSOTM because of the way in which the songs flow from one to another.

Dark Side, it's great as a whole album (well, it's almost as one track, though Money is quite cutting it in half, I think that song doesn't quite fit the mood and color of the rest, but still a kickass song). WYWH and Shine On are excellent too but the other two tracks put the album a bit down.

WYWH here for me.

It's Fat Dave and Shy Rick's fave Floyd album too. It contains their best work with the band (although Dave's guitar playing on Animals is pretty spectacular). Shine On is also by far and away their best post-Syd track. I think, however, it will always be overshadowed by its more famous predecessor, at least in the world outside Floyd buff-dom.

Of course, if DSOTM had not been so successful - it's apparently now only one of three LPs (the others being Wacko's Thriller and AC/DC's Back In Black) to have sold more than 40 million copies worldwide - it's doubtful that WYWH would have ended up the way it did. Or would it? There a question...

Archived