Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

Tainted cheese

Hello Folks,

Many probably know by now but Peter Green passed away a few days ago and would like to say what an amazing guitarist we lost. His influence was tremendous especially considering the short time he played. The rare live performances that were recorded for posterity are a true testament to his wizardry and interpretation of the blues and rock guitar! He was and is one of my favorite guitarists/song writers and singers! The shortage of live recordings as well as film of Green and Fleetwood Mac is a shame indeed, hopefully more will surface and give people a new look at one of the all time greats! B.B. King once said of Green “He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats.”   . . .

In another memory I have about Green concerning the "Clapton is God" graffiti which was reportedly later amended after hearing Peter Green fill in for Eric in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers to "Green is better than God". If I'm remembering it wrong please let me know or share another tid-bit about Peter Green.

RIP Peter

An immense talent. An immense loss. Really a shame he couldn't keep his demons in check. For if that Peter Green-Jeremy Spencer-Danny Kirwan lineup of Fleetwood Mac had stayed together they would have given Led Zeppelin a run for their money in the blues-rock sweepstakes. Much more than Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, whether because of drugs or pre-existing psychological conditions, all three guitarists...Peter, Danny, and Jeremy...went a bit nuts.

Green was the godhead of tone. It was sheer bliss listening to him play. And yet, 90% of Fleetwood Mac fans still seem unaware of the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac. If there is any justice may his death shine a light on his era for the enlightenment of the masses.

R.I.P. Peter Green.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live 1968-1970.

https://youtu.be/T8v_OC3zWCM

Edited by Strider

13 hours ago, Strider said:

The Peter Green Fleetwood Mac's run at the Boston Tea Party in February 1970 is essential listening.

A great run indeed, was it one or two nights of playing in Boston? During these recordings in Boston and of course others too, he was able to play so sweet and gentle, BUT when he decided to cut loose and dig in deep he was out of this world!!! Some of the most biting, raw powerful playing I've ever heard! He was good at leaving people wanting more, very selective and careful not to overdo it.

Does anyone know during the live performance of Green Manalishi, is that Green playing bass before and after the long drum/congo section, or is that him on guitar playing the lower registers--sorry not sure if that's the correct way to describe it . . .?

13 hours ago, Strider said:

An immense talent. An immense loss. Really a shame he couldn't keep his demons in check. For if that Peter Green-Jeremy Spencer-Danny Kirwan lineup of Fleetwood Mac had stayed together they would have given Led Zeppelin a run for their money in the blues-rock sweepstakes. Much more than Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, whether because of drugs or pre-existing psychological conditions, all three guitarists...Peter, Danny, and Jeremy...went a bit nuts.

Green was the godhead of tone. It was sheer bliss listening to him play. And yet, 90% of Fleetwood Mac fans still seem unaware of the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac. If there is any justice may his death shine a light on his era for the enlightenment of the masses.

R.I.P. Peter Green.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live 1968-1970.

https://youtu.be/T8v_OC3zWCM

Mick F. said something very similar in his book that came out in the early '90s, that their (he believed) success was on par with early Zeppelin and might have continued along the same trajectory. Jeremy Spencer was outstanding player in his own right too, his slide playing and signing Elmore James songs live was bombastic and top-notch! So strange how the guiratists all veered off on confused paths.