Ranking The 1977 Shows

Bonzo_fan

I'm not very good at ranking the best shows but..... I think we can all agree that 7/20 in Tucson and 7/17 in Seattle were just... not very good. 22nd June L.A. - one of my absolute favourites. I think they even played Trampled Underfoot and Heartbreaker. 

I like April 10th. The sound was rough and raw, and Jimmy Page wearing his stormtrooper outfit made him look like an absolute god. 

2 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

I'm not very good at ranking the best shows but..... I think we can all agree that 7/20 in Tucson and 7/17 in Seattle were just... not very good. 22nd June L.A. - one of my absolute favourites. I think they even played Trampled Underfoot and Heartbreaker. 

I like April 10th. The sound was rough and raw, and Jimmy Page wearing his stormtrooper outfit made him look like an absolute god. 

The tape of April 10th was rough and raw, not the performance. The April 10th show in Chicago was one of the best show of the first leg. I should know as I was there.

2 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

They didn't play "Trampled Underfoot" or "Heartbreaker" on June 22.  June 21 had HB, June 22 had IMTOD & OTHAFA -- the only '77 show with both -- and June 23 had TUF.

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

The tape of April 10th was rough and raw, not the performance. The April 10th show in Chicago was one of the best show of the first leg. I should know as I was there.

Oh cool! Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he change to the white dragon suit after Moby Dick?

12 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

They didn't play "Trampled Underfoot" or "Heartbreaker" on June 22.  June 21 had HB, June 22 had IMTOD & OTHAFA -- the only '77 show with both -- and June 23 had TUF.

Oh yeah! Didn't they play Communication Breakdown as an encore on June 22nd? Or maybe it was June 25th. I don't know, it was one of the LA dates. Damn, must have been really cool to go seem them there. 

1 minute ago, LedZep123 said:

Oh yeah! Didn't they play Communication Breakdown as an encore on June 22nd? Or maybe it was June 25th. I don't know, it was one of the LA dates. Damn, must have been really cool to go seem them there. 

Yes, they did CB coming out of WLL for the encore on the 25th. Yeah, it sure would have been!

3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

35 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

What Bonzo_fan said...plus "Trampled Under Foot" was played on June 27, too.

Encores for the L.A. Forum run:

6.21: WLL-Rock and Roll

6.22: WLL-Rock and Roll

6.23: WLL-Rock and Roll with Keith Moon

6.25: WLL-Communication Breakdown

6.26: It'll Be Me - Jerry Lewis cover

6.27: WLL-Rock and Roll

15 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

Wasn't there one show in LA where Bonzo was feeling a little bit unwell?

No. Bonzo was fine for the L.A. Forum run in 1977. San Diego is where he was unwell.

4 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

Ummm... Just scrolling through setlists, but is it true that the April 13th show opened with Achilles Last Stand??? Anyone???

No. That setlist is either wrong or incomplete if they have "Achilles Last Stand" first. "The Song Remains the Same" was the opener for all shows from 1977-1979.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

What Bonzo_fan said...plus "Trampled Under Foot" was played on June 27, too.

Encores for the L.A. Forum run:

6.21: WLL-Rock and Roll

6.22: WLL-Rock and Roll

6.23: WLL-Rock and Roll with Keith Moon

6.25: WLL-Communication Breakdown

6.26: It'll Be Me - Jerry Lewis cover

6.27: WLL-Rock and Roll

No. Bonzo was fine for the L.A. Forum run in 1977. San Diego is where he was unwell.

No. That setlist is either wrong or incomplete if they have "Achilles Last Stand" first. "The Song Remains the Same" was the opener for all shows from 1977-1979.

... All my questions. Thanks Strider!

Although if the show opens with Achilles Last Stand...

You just hear Jimmy Page's guitar introduction, no lights, and then bang. It actually sounds like it'd be quite a good opener. Where's the fan fiction?

Edited by LedZep123

3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Oh cool! Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he change to the white dragon suit after Moby Dick?

Jimmy was channeling future Madonna or Lady Gaga for that gig as he started the show with the Nazi officer cap, boots, and pants then switched out the hat for a white Fedora handed to him by someone in the crowd. The he came back wearing the white silk suit but the pants had yet to be embroidered so they were plain. I believe this was the only show he ever did a complete change of clothes during the gig plus wore two different hats.

Thank god he did not channel his inner Peter Gabriel otherwise he might have come out in a turd suit.

5 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Jimmy was channeling future Madonna or Lady Gaga for that gig as he started the show with the Nazi officer cap, boots, and pants then switched out the hat for a white Fedora handed to him by someone in the crowd. The he came back wearing the white silk suit but the pants had yet to be embroidered so they were plain. I believe this was the only show he ever did a complete change of clothes during the gig plus wore two different hats.

Thank god he did not channel his inner Peter Gabriel otherwise he might have come out in a turd suit.

Lol

Although I'm pretty sure at one gig in LA, he switched from the Black Dragon suit to the white one.... but this is probably as far as Jimmy went. What song did he take of the sunglasses?

Just now, LedZep123 said:

Lol

Although I'm pretty sure at one gig in LA, he switched from the Black Dragon suit to the white one.... but this is probably as far as Jimmy went. What song did he take of the sunglasses?

I can't say for sure as it was 43 years ago and I was only a kid at the time. I know he came on with the shades but do not know when he tossed them. It was my first concert and what a way to start! No other concert has come close to how good they were that night. That's not to say I have not been to shows with better sound and mixing. When I saw Don Henley in 89' in Chicago, wow, now that was the best sound I have ever heard at any show. What was wild was the volume was not loud, I was having conversations at normal vocal levels off and on during the gig but every note was crystal clear, the sound just enveloped you. Don't know who produced that show, the soundboard people, engineer but they are the tops. And the acoustics were perfect. It was a small-medium venue (the UIC Pavilion), only 9,500 people at max capacity but part of the place was curtained off so there were about 5,500 people there that night.

Just now, BobDobbs said:

I can't say for sure as it was 43 years ago and I was only a kid at the time. I know he came on with the shades but do not know when he tossed them. It was my first concert and what a way to start! No other concert has come close to how good they were that night. That's not to say I have not been to shows with better sound and mixing. When I saw Don Henley in 89' in Chicago, wow, now that was the best sound I have ever heard at any show. What was wild was the volume was not loud, I was having conversations at normal vocal levels off and on during the gig but every note was crystal clear, the sound just enveloped you. Don't know who produced that show, the soundboard people, engineer but they are the tops. And the acoustics were perfect. It was a small-medium venue (the UIC Pavilion), only 9,500 people at max capacity but part of the place was curtained off so there were about 5,500 people there that night.

Yeah makes sense. I wonder what would happen if he channelled his inner KISS.... *shudder*

Lol

June 22 is when Jimmy wore both the black dragon suit and the white poppy outfits.

Here's the deal. When Jimmy had the black dragon suit made Jimmy was at 1975 weight. He could wear the pants without a belt with no problem at the last night of the L.A. Forum March 27, 1975 and during the Earls Court five-night stand.

But by 1977 Jimmy had lost a lot of weight...A LOT of weight. When he wore the black dragon suit in 1977, if he didn't wear a belt with the pants the pants would sag severely off his bony hips. This is what happened at the June 22 Forum show...Jimmy Page's pants fell down.

You'll notice that in photos of the Oakland Stadium gig that he wore the black dragon suit, Jimmy is wearing a belt on his trousers.

As for the sunglasses, Jimmy opened every Forum show I saw with sunglasses and a scarf and they were usually gone by "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

14 hours ago, Strider said:

June 22 is when Jimmy wore both the black dragon suit and the white poppy outfits.

Here's the deal. When Jimmy had the black dragon suit made Jimmy was at 1975 weight. He could wear the pants without a belt with no problem at the last night of the L.A. Forum March 27, 1975 and during the Earls Court five-night stand.

But by 1977 Jimmy had lost a lot of weight...A LOT of weight. When he wore the black dragon suit in 1977, if he didn't wear a belt with the pants the pants would sag severely off his bony hips. This is what happened at the June 22 Forum show...Jimmy Page's pants fell down.

You'll notice that in photos of the Oakland Stadium gig that he wore the black dragon suit, Jimmy is wearing a belt on his trousers.

As for the sunglasses, Jimmy opened every Forum show I saw with sunglasses and a scarf and they were usually gone by "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

Damn man, where do you get all your information from?

On 11/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, LedZep123 said:

Damn man, where do you get all your information from?

On 11/20/2020 at 8:42 PM, Strider said:

Strider was actually there, man, one of the lucky ones around these parts who doesn't just have to relive the tour vicariously through old recordings 43 years after the fact!

1 hour ago, LedZep123 said:

... Every Forum show. The lucky duck

Not every Forum show in 1977…five of the six. June 21, 23, 25, 26, and 27.

The other Forum shows: June 25, 1972, May 31 and June 3, 1973, and March 24, 25, 27, 1975.

Elsewhere: 

June 27, 1972 Long Beach Arena

June 2, 1973 Kezar Stadium

March 12, 1975 Long Beach Arena

7 hours ago, Strider said:

The other Forum shows: June 25, 1972, May 31 and June 3, 1973, and March 24, 25, 27, 1975.

Elsewhere: 

So..... 14 LED ZEPPELIN SHOWS!!!!!

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Elsewhere: 

Wait, do you remember how much the tickets were for the '77 Forum shows