Worse choice of title for a bootleg?

Guest WD52

I cannot believe someone actually thought 'Return of the Auschwitz' would be in any way appropriate. Manages to be grossly insulting, racist, and wildly inappropriate-then they stick a picture of a skull (presumably indicating a concentration camp victim) on the cover. Unless there is some kind of neo Nazi bootlegger somewhere, what on earth were they thinking?

Yep that one was/is pretty disgusting. Probably the worst thing imaginable. I know the Swastika symbol has a more positive meaning in Eastern cultures, but such an explicit reference to the most awful chapter in the 20th century...what a morbid idea. I hope mr.Neptune was left with an integral pile of unsold cd's and committed seppukku. 

This said, whilst browsing through Robert Godwin's collector's Guide, I was flabbergasted by the title of a set of gold 10" acetates as well. 'Zware Lul' (on the fabulous 'Geil' label). Whoever put this shitty rarity out? The title is Dutch for 'Heavy d*ck' and the label is a translation of 'h*orny'. Well that's quite an achievement in boot production, isn't it? 🤯

zwlul.jpg

The Auschwitz one is indeed awful, the other two hilariously bad.  I'll add the Landover '75 soundboard to the list: Ultra Violent Killer Droog.  Good topic choice btw, OP...should be a fun thread 😂

Somehow I have never heard of "Return of the Auschwitz". Is that a 1980 tour bootleg? Whatever tour it is from the title is pretty vile.

I've come across some pretty bad titles over the years but lately, most of my live Led Zeppelin listening comes via Led Zeppelin Boots and other Youtube channels pumping through my stereo. I'll have to give it a think and try to remember some of the more awful ones.

2 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

The Auschwitz one is indeed awful, the other two hilariously bad.  I'll add the Landover '75 soundboard to the list: Ultra Violent Killer Droog.  Good topic choice btw, OP...should be a fun thread 😂

At least "Ultra Violent Killer Droog" makes sense as it ties in with the Clockwork Orange droog outfit that Bonham wore on the first leg of the 1975 tour. 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Somehow I have never heard of "Return of the Auschwitz". Is that a 1980 tour bootleg? Whatever tour it is from the title is pretty vile.

I've come across some pretty bad titles over the years but lately, most of my live Led Zeppelin listening comes via Led Zeppelin Boots and other Youtube channels pumping through my stereo. I'll have to give it a think and try to remember some of the more awful ones.

At least "Ultra Violent Killer Droog" makes sense as it ties in with the Clockwork Orange droog outfit that Bonham wore on the first leg of the 1975 tour. 

I had no idea that's what it was in reference to! Definitely makes more sense now.

Believe it or not, the Auschwitz one isn't the only one that's Nazi themed. There's two Southampton boots titled "Swastika" and "Mein Kampf" :blink: There's also a 6/25/72 boot titled "We Love Lesbians" with some...interesting cover art.

Then there's this one which I can't decide whether it's ultra cheesy or amazing:

bhmvhfM.jpeg

8 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

"Return of the Auschwitz" - Neptune Records, a bootleg CD from the Led Zeppelin show at Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany, 17 June 1980 (Tuesday, 2000 hours)

So not only is the title tasteless, but geographically incompetent, to boot.

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Unburied Dead Zeppo's Grave is so bad it's awesome in a cult movie way.

Terrible cover, too.

20 hours ago, WD52 said:

I cannot believe someone actually thought 'Return of the Auschwitz' would be in any way appropriate. Manages to be grossly insulting, racist, and wildly inappropriate-then they stick a picture of a skull (presumably indicating a concentration camp victim) on the cover. Unless there is some kind of neo Nazi bootlegger somewhere, what on earth were they thinking?

Yeah, pretty bad taste.

13 hours ago, gcczep said:

Winners already chosen... Knees Up Mother Brown on the Image Quality label. Not as bad as the one mentioned but supposedly it is a line off an English nursery rhyme or song or whatever?

it is a cockney sing along suggesting (to the middle classes and above anyway) cheery working class types in the pub having a sing song, guvnor. Or for our American readers- an historical song originating in the working class communities, particularly the poorer areas of London.

11 hours ago, WD52 said:

it is a cockney sing along suggesting (to the middle classes and above anyway) cheery working class types in the pub having a sing song, guvnor. Or for our American readers- an historical song originating in the working class communities, particularly the poorer areas of London.

Ah...I like the charm of it (tip of the cap). It should not be mentioned with the drivel of the titles mentioned here so I take it back. It is a WTH(eck)? if you are not familiar with its origin. 

On 7/30/2020 at 12:02 PM, gcczep said:

Ah...I like the charm of it (tip of the cap). It should not be mentioned with the drivel of the titles mentioned here so I take it back. It is a WTH(eck)? if you are not familiar with its origin. 

Knees up, knees up, don’t get the breeze up, knees up Mother Brown!

On 8/3/2020 at 9:17 AM, RoyHarper said:

Knees up, knees up, don’t get the breeze up, knees up Mother Brown!

Can't believe my minces me old china, you have posted the posh version. 'Knees up Muvva Brahn' is the true cockney pronunciation. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:54 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

I rather like that title. It makes sense given Bonzo’s choice of stage attire on the first leg of the 75 North American tour. Moreover, it feels cool to say out loud with a straight face lol

Edited by NegativeCrepe