Jump to content

1971.09.29 Remastered Soundboard


SteveZ98
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, John M said:

After listening to this I wonder how Page could release the October 1969 Paris show as a companion disc and not release his own version of this show.  This remastered soundboard sounds far superior to the Paris show released with LZ I.

I believe he was trying to have each companion disc feature music that was contemporaneous with the original release date of the album it was accompanying. Because of that, this show would have been too far away from the first album to qualify. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still figuring out what to work on next. Current candidates are 5/26/73, 7/28/73, 3/21/75, and 4/27/77. What I normally do is make some trial runs on each one and then keep going on whichever one is working out best.

You'll notice there are no 1980 shows in that list. I've tried to remaster multiple shows from that tour and I can't make them sound any better, no matter what I do. They don't respond to the things that work for the other tours, so I'm not sure I'll ever get one to the point where I'd consider it worthy of release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Paloff said:

Hello Steve

you did not mention Oasaka september 28, did you try this one ?

I have tried it and it sounds OK, but not as good as the 29th. It's such a good show that I'll keep working on it, but it will be a while before I figure out how to get it to sound good enough to release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I'm still figuring out what to work on next. Current candidates are 5/26/73, 7/28/73, 3/21/75, and 4/27/77. What I normally do is make some trial runs on each one and then keep going on whichever one is working out best.

If you are taking suggestions I would consider 5/26/73 first, then 7/28/73.  But how about 5/13/73?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John M said:

If you are taking suggestions I would consider 5/26/73 first, then 7/28/73.  But how about 5/13/73?

I've already got 5/26/73 broken into individual tracks and have done a lot of remastering on it, so it's the leading candidate from '73 because of that. I haven't listened to 5/13/73 recently. I'll see if I can do anything productive with it. I also tried 5/31/73, but wasn't terribly thrilled with the results.

My main goal with the Stereo Project is to hit as many of the famous shows as possible before I run out of steam. That's why 4/27/77 is on the list, even though it's not generally highly regarded. I'd also like to change the perception of that particular show, because I'm finding the performance a lot more impressive than I did in the past once I improved the sound a little bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I've already got 5/26/73 broken into individual tracks and have done a lot of remastering on it, so it's the leading candidate from '73 because of that. I haven't listened to 5/13/73 recently. I'll see if I can do anything productive with it. I also tried 5/31/73, but wasn't terribly thrilled with the results.

My main goal with the Stereo Project is to hit as many of the famous shows as possible before I run out of steam. That's why 4/27/77 is on the list, even though it's not generally highly regarded. I'd also like to change the perception of that particular show, because I'm finding the performance a lot more impressive than I did in the past once I improved the sound a little bit.

Do you have any plans to do 5/30/77 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5/30/77 is on the list, but that list is getting long so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. And as it turns out, the next show I'm doing is 1/22/73. I didn't think I could add much to it, but being able to split the songs into individual tracks let me raise the level of Robert's voice so his vocals now mix well with the instruments. I was also able to split Jimmy's guitar so it's in both the left and right channels, which really fills out the sound. Here's a sample:

 

Edited by SteveZ98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Just incredible work, Steve. My hat's off to you.

Thanks. Having spent a lot of time with this recording recently, I can definitely see why the band decided not to release this and put out HTWWW instead. However, there are some nice moments in this show. My current favorite part of the performance is The Rain Song. The intimate venue seems to mesh well with the tone of the song. 

Edited by SteveZ98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2020 at 11:16 PM, SteveZ98 said:

5/30/77 is on the list, but that list is getting long so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. And as it turns out, the next show I'm doing is 1/22/73. I didn't think I could add much to it, but being able to split the songs into individual tracks let me raise the level of Robert's voice so his vocals now mix well with the instruments. I was also able to split Jimmy's guitar so it's in both the left and right channels, which really fills out the sound. Here's a sample:

 

Well, at least it's on the list. I think some of the perfomances from May 30th might be the best of that tour, 'Sick Again' being one of them - very tight and aggressive. Would be a treat to hear remastered version.

Edited by Spitfire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...