Untitled

apantherfrommd

A question about licensing and publishing fees for song played at venues or events without the artist's approval was raised in the RIP thread, So I thought to maybe discuss it here.

This is NOT to make a political debate, it is about music/publishing and how much control an artist retains over their music after the sell the publishing rights.

At a recent event(s) some music was played which the artists who created the songs objected to. Strider was kind enough to post this link about the subject, but I have other questions:

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/can_recording_artists_stop_trump_from_playing_their_music_at_rallies_some_l

So my take from reading the above article is that there isn't any succinct legal cases which seem to have nailed this down as a certain yes, the artist can stop it, or no they can't--- other than to suggest that if the song content itself is of a nature in which an "artist could assert a right of publicity in their image, confusion or dilution of their name under the Lanham Act, and false endorsement".  Therefore they have to prove they are being damaged--- other than possibly not receiving monetization through their publisher.

Seems to me that just because they don't like it, may not be enough. And furthermore, even as they may protest, in most cases the exposure of the song is still in their best interests--- or at least maybe their publisher.  One way would be the monitization of their music when it is appears in so many youtube news type clips where the song can be heard in the background. Therefore any of the monitzation going to that youtube account for traffic could be nabbed by the publisher, or if it can't be, they could have the audio for the clip muted. I see plenty of youtube clips which had Led Zeppelin songs in them---including covers, muted because somebody didn't pay the publishing fees.

Led Zeppelin seems to have kept more control of their music rights than other bands. And some like the Who I feel are happy to have their stuff played everywhere al the time.

16 minutes ago, kipper said:

A question about licensing and publishing fees for song played at venues or events without the artist's approval was raised in the RIP thread, So I thought to maybe discuss it here.

This is NOT to make a political debate, it is about music/publishing and how much control an artist retains over their music after the sell the publishing rights.

At a recent event(s) some music was played which the artists who created the songs objected to. Strider was kind enough to post this link about the subject, but I have other questions:

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/can_recording_artists_stop_trump_from_playing_their_music_at_rallies_some_l

So my take from reading the above article is that there isn't any succinct legal cases which seem to have nailed this down as a certain yes, the artist can stop it, or no they can't--- other than to suggest that if the song content itself is of a nature in which an "artist could assert a right of publicity in their image, confusion or dilution of their name under the Lanham Act, and false endorsement".  Therefore they have to prove they are being damaged--- other than possibly not receiving monetization through their publisher.

Seems to me that just because they don't like it, may not be enough. And furthermore, even as they may protest, in most cases the exposure of the song is still in their best interests--- or at least maybe their publisher.  One way would be the monitization of their music when it is appears in so many youtube news type clips where the song can be heard in the background. Therefore any of the monitzation going to that youtube account for traffic could be nabbed by the publisher, or if it can't be, they could have the audio for the clip muted. I see plenty of youtube clips which had Led Zeppelin songs in them---including covers, muted because somebody didn't pay the publishing fees.

Led Zeppelin seems to have kept more control of their music rights than other bands. And some like the Who I feel are happy to have their stuff played everywhere al the time.

It also comes down to basic respect which is sorely in desperate need in this day and age. Someone says "please stop playing my songs, " you stop playing their songs, plain and simple. Only a trashy person would continue to play a song after the artist requests them to stop.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Bones said:

It also comes down to basic respect which is sorely in desperate need in this day and age. Someone says "please stop playing my songs, " you stop playing their songs, plain and simple. Only a trashy person would continue to play a song after the artist requests them to stop.

While I may tend to agree with this, if the only teeth to the request is just asking, that may not be enough in our lawyer driven society.

Plus there is something about what comes with being a public figure too, the good and the bad.  Otherwise artists should not sell their publishing rights and keep 100% control. But most won't do that we know.

Edited by kipper

• 4 weeks later...

The first war since the virus from China:

Azerbaijan vs Armenia. Terrible war. Been going on since the end of Zeptember.

One side - Azerbaijan wants to keep their land and run the Armenians to their homeland.

Armenia is attacking to keep their presence within Azerbaijan. But they have a base there in Azerbaijan.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, kipper said:

While I may tend to agree with this, if the only teeth to the request is just asking, that may not be enough in our lawyer driven society.

Plus there is something about what comes with being a public figure too, the good and the bad.  Otherwise artists should not sell their publishing rights and keep 100% control. But most won't do that we know.

Jack Black in 'School Of Rock'------

I pledge allegiance,
To the band,
Of Mr. Shneebly,
And will not fight him,
For creative control,
And will differ to him on all issues related to the musical direction of the band.

Now, let's get rockin'.

18 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

The first war since the virus from China:

Azerbaijan vs Armenia. Terrible war. Been going on since the end of Zeptember.

One side - Azerbaijan wants to keep their land and run the Armenians to their homeland.

Armenia is attacking to keep their presence within Azerbaijan. But they have a base there in Azerbaijan.

You should read the history of the conflict as it is a long and bloody one. The Azerbaijani worked in conjunction with the Turks during the Armenian Genocide which is one of the reasons the Armenians hate them. That land is not Azerbaijan, it is part of Armenia but was taken from the Armenians during the genocide.

People can really suck, all this hate. It really is a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, Mr.Bones said:

You should read the history of the conflict as it is a long and bloody one. The Azerbaijani worked in conjunction with the Turks during the Armenian Genocide which is one of the reasons the Armenians hate them. That land is not Azerbaijan, it is part of Armenia but was taken from the Armenians during the genocide.

Yeah hate does suck doesn’t it?

Last night on 'bonzoleum' live stream, he gave away 3 prizes. You just had to answer the correct word or song. There were 125 people watching and I never saw such fast typing in my life. Everyone's keyboards were smokin'. The last prize was a brand new Paiste 18 inch crash/ride and the song he was thinking of was Poor Tom. I guessed Moby Dick. He also gave away a t-shirt and mug, plus a vintage drum key. Next week he's going to give away his used bowler hat. That was a hell of a lot of fun. 😀

On 10/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, Mr.Bones said:

Turks still support Azerbaijan. What has changed is that Armenia is Russia's baby, now. Azeris don't hate Armenians. They hate the troops in the disputed lands - Karabakh. 

War is over, because the Russians are now in Karabakh. What's strange to me is that 3 countries were co-chairs on the Minsk agreement. USA, France, and Russia. How can Russia be neutral, on the chair, yet interfering? It doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by apantherfrommd

• 3 weeks later...