Stairway to Heaven

SIDE TWO:
Rock and Roll
Four Sticks
Down by the Seaside
When the Levee Breaks
Going to California

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Nope. Not doing it. Fourth album is perfect as it is and can't be improved upon. There's very few records that you wouldn't change a single second of - but Led Zeppelin IV is one of them. 

Not to mention that the timings are impossible for a single album. Side one would clock in at 27:02. That is too much for a side of vinyl unless you don't care how it sounds. That is why the original vinyl release of "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack sounded so bad…they tried to squeeze too many grooves in the wax.

14 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Why no No Quarter?

Edit: this is of course considering they had completed the mixing for it in time for the album's release. 

I think he chose the songs he did because they were all recorded during the studio time allotted for the fourth album. Night Flight and those other tunes didn't make the cut on the fourth album so they stuck them on the PG double album. Plant's vocals on those tunes show him at his peak still, while the others like Kashmir, IMTOD, Trampled and the rest show his new, huskier voice.

38 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

I think he chose the songs he did because they were all recorded during the studio time allotted for the fourth album.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the base tracks for NQ were recorded for the fourth album at Headley Grange. The final mix was postponed and the song was shelved for a later time. Had they chosen, it could've been on IV.

3 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the base tracks for NQ were recorded for the fourth album at Headley Grange. The final mix was postponed and the song was shelved for a later time. Had they chosen, it could've been on IV.

I believe the tracks recorded for NQ at that time didn't sound very much like the final tracks used for the HOTH album. I think they were earlier versions of the song before it was properly developed. It's sounded like a weird and less convincing NQ. I could be wrong. It's been 15 years since I listened to them.

7 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

I believe the tracks recorded for NQ at that time didn't sound very much like the final tracks used for the HOTH album. I think they were earlier versions of the song before it was properly developed. It's sounded like a weird and less convincing NQ. I could be wrong. It's been 15 years since I listened to them.

I believe you're talking about that very early, undeveloped run through. However, the final guitar tracks were most likely put down at HG because he recorded them the exact same way he did Black Dog's, plugging straight into the board. The tone and recording is virtually identical.

But, to get back to the topic, I think NQ is the only track that wasn't on IV that could fit. I would've made it the opener for side two.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, Brigante said:

Nope. Not doing it. Fourth album is perfect as it is and can't be improved upon. There's very few records that you wouldn't change a single second of - but Led Zeppelin IV is one of them. 

What Brigante said......

On 8/6/2020 at 4:08 PM, Brigante said:

Well, it could have used more cowbell 😉