IF YOU COULD HAVE ONLY ONE BOOTLEG WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE

VINNY B

1 hour ago, VINNY B said:

IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE BOOTLEG WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE.FOR ME BLUEBERRY HILL.SEEMS I ALWAYS GO TO IT FOR SOME REASON

Meh…"Blueberry Hill" has been superseded by the evening show of September 19, 1970 at Madison Square Garden as the best bootleg of 1970 in my book. 1970 Montreux and RAH are in the running but the 9.19.70 evening show has the superior setlist and dynamic energy and vibes.

Edited by Strider

29 minutes ago, Strider said:

Two good choices...if by Custard Pie you mean Offenburg March 24 '73?

Ok, I was gonna be sarcastic but yes, of course I meant Offenburg 73. I'm Talking about the Original Vinyl Boot.  The only thing it's missing is No Quarter. I so wish they had played it that night.

This is a very difficult question.  Each year/tour is so different.  If I had to pick one it would probably be Burn Like a Candle because it covers so many different styles of songs and includes songs from the first 5 albums.  And it has an acoustic set.  Great show, great execution, great energy.  It gets the nod for me because of the diversity and range of material.

San Francisco 27/04/69 Vol. 1&2 (Kaleidoscopic) This was the first version of this show I ever heard and it got me hooked on bootlegs. The stellar version of As Long As I Have you is one of my all time favorite live Zep performances. Throw in other unreleased songs alongside killer performances of Zep classics , all in excellent sound quality (at least on the first disc), and I'm still a fan of this 20-something years after I bought it.

san_francisco_27_04_69_1_f_outer.jpg?cnt

6 minutes ago, the chase said:

For Badge Holders Only gets my vote.. It's the first bootleg I ever bought and still my favorite.

I've listened to it well over a thousand times.  Back in the day, a friend of mine said he knew a guy who had 2 zep albums that I didn't have. I thought he was crazy not knowing anything about bootlegs yet so he brought me to meet this person and he showed me The Best Of Zeppelin and For Badge Holders Only. I was immediately enamoured but he would not play them. I was sick literally, I was sick to my stomach when I left I wanted to hear them so badly. It was 2 more years before I finally found out where to buy these vinyls and when I did I bought FBHO and was blown away and never looked back.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:20 AM, Strider said:

Meh…"Blueberry Hill" has been superseded by the evening show of September 19, 1970 at Madison Square Garden as the best bootleg of 1970 in my book. 1970 Montreux and RAH are in the running but the 9.19.70 evening show has the superior setlist and dynamic energy and vibes.

I downloaded a version of that show years ago, I wasn't impressed with the sound quality so  never really gave at a full listen. After seeing your post I thought I'd give it another go. Rather than go through half a dozen external HDs and a box of USB sticks looking for the show I went over to Dime to grab it again. Grabbed two versions, the first one has the same poor quality  as the one I listened to years ago, the second one titled "Storming the Big Apple", wow, what a difference, night and day, very good sound quality. As you posted, the set list is superior, the energy and vibes are there for definite. For me this show has been lost along the way, when Broadband Internet came along I went download crazy, grabbing full shows in half an hour instead of a few days like happened with 56k dial up, so many of them I'd never give most more than a quick scan. Thanks for the recommendation Strider. I'm sure if I'd heard this show in the early seventies I would know like the back of my hand just like BBH, Going to California, Mudslide etc.

Edited by JTM

4 hours ago, JTM said:

the second one titled "Storming the Big Apple", wow, what a difference, night and day, very good sound quality. As you posted, the set list is superior, the energy and vibes are there for definite.

Yes indeed.  That rock and roll medley before How Many More Times is so great.  Plant is doing his best Elvis imitation during Twenty Flight Rock.  Beatles connection:  Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock is the song Paul played for John when they first met.  

Plant's range during this medley is amazing, just like when he sang Blueberry Hill a few weeks prior. 

8 hours ago, nick2632 said:

I hate to say it, but I would probably go with Southampton University 1973 'Working Tapes'. 

'

Said no one ever...until now. C'mon man, you're not even trying if that is your pick. You might as well pick "The Song Remains the Same" official release...at least you get "No Quarter" with that one. 

I could pick 10 random 1973 boots, put them on a wall and throw a dart and hit a better show than Southampton '73.