IF YOU COULD HAVE ONLY ONE BOOTLEG WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE

VINNY B

8 hours ago, JTM said:

I downloaded a version of that show years ago, I wasn't impressed with the sound quality so  never really gave at a full listen. After seeing your post I thought I'd give it another go. Rather than go through half a dozen external HDs and a box of USB sticks looking for the show I went over to Dime to grab it again. Grabbed two versions, the first one has the same poor quality  as the one I listened to years ago, the second one titled "Storming the Big Apple", wow, what a difference, night and day, very good sound quality. As you posted, the set list is superior, the energy and vibes are there for definite. For me this show has been lost along the way, when Broadband Internet came along I went download crazy, grabbing full shows in half an hour instead of a few days like happened with 56k dial up, so many of them I'd never give most more than a quick scan. Thanks for the recommendation Strider. I'm sure if I'd heard this show in the early seventies I would know like the back of my hand just like BBH, Going to California, Mudslide etc.

But that's the thing about this show, JTM...NOBODY heard this show in the early '70s because the taper lost or forgot about it for 40 years. It wasn't until 2002 or so...around the time things were gearing up for HWTWW and the DVD and new boots were coming out of the woodwork...that this guy all of a sudden discovered he had this show in his closet all these years.

Apparently he forgot there were two shows played at the Garden that day...an early show and a late show. The early show of 9.19.70 had been in circulation already and he assumed that was the same show he had taped. Since his tape wasn't great quality he wasn't aggressive about sharing it and putting it out into the public.

It wasn't until he heard the early show tape and realized that it was a different show than his tape that he figured out that the band did two shows on September 19, 1970 and he put the word out about his tape. 

So it's only been in the last 18 years or so that this amazing concert (a Top 10 all-timer for sure) has been available to us punters.

4 hours ago, John M said:

Yes indeed.  That rock and roll medley before How Many More Times is so great.  Plant is doing his best Elvis imitation during Twenty Flight Rock.  Beatles connection:  Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock is the song Paul played for John when they first met.  

Plant's range during this medley is amazing, just like when he sang Blueberry Hill a few weeks prior. 

Not to mention tackling the Little Richard song "The Girl Can't Help It". Only prime-era 1968-1972 Plant could remotely do a Little Richard song justice. Although he gamely tried again in 1977 with a brief snippet of "Rip It Up".

I also love the crowd after "Whole Lotta Love" and you hear a guy next to the taper say "they're gonna tear (or rip?) this place apart."

49 minutes ago, Strider said:

Said no one ever...until now. C'mon man, you're not even trying if that is your pick. You might as well pick "The Song Remains the Same" official release...at least you get "No Quarter" with that one. 

I could pick 10 random 1973 boots, put them on a wall and throw a dart and hit a better show than Southampton '73.

I agree 100%

On 8/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, Nutrocker said:

I still think that's a half decent recording yer brother, if I remember correctly, captured.

I need to revise the timeline of events regarding the discs I sent your way, which you cleaned up better than I could've hoped.
Hope to do that soon on this thread, without clogging the intention of the OP.

On 8/8/2020 at 5:14 PM, jabe said:

I need to revise the timeline of events regarding the discs I sent your way, which you cleaned up better than I could've hoped.
Hope to do that soon on this thread, without clogging the intention of the OP.

Like I say, the thing still sounds good. Admittedly in our enthusiasm over the project I may have overhyped the quality (objectively the "Out Of The Way" source is the best Birmingham recording) but I still reckon yers to be on par with the "Dixie" recording:

5 hours ago, WD52 said:

This one-first Antrabata I ever bought and the cover is a thing of beauty.

IMG_0433.jpg

I got my "Dixie" used (I can't remember what I paid for it), no certificate of authenticity😆 I believe I used the long pre-concert intro on there to add to Jabe's Birmingham recording. Of course better sounding 1st gen copies of Terry Coppage's recording have come into circulation since "Dixie" was released ("better" being relative in this case, it's still a fairly distant recording; Jabe's is closer to the stage)

1 hour ago, Nutrocker said:

Like I say, the thing still sounds good. Admittedly in our enthusiasm over the project I may have overhyped the quality (objectively the "Out Of The Way" source is the best Birmingham recording) but I still reckon yers to be on par with the "Dixie" recording:

F**king Nutrocker! Coming back in the hot tub time machine:) I have a version of 6/21/77 that is so good. . (in you're honor sir:) that is so good I believe it to be the best ever. . Copenhagan 71 (Black Cat) is damn good. . Is there a better version? 

Q? What happened to LA 75? Were they just blown out by all things on tour? This should have been THE best ever. . everytime I try I cant get into it. . Or is it me? Maybe a Q for Strider:)

Cheers

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

F**king Nutrocker! Coming back in the hot tub time machine:) I have a version of 6/21/77 that is so good. . (in you're honor sir:) that is so good I believe it to be the best ever. . Copenhagan 71 (Black Cat) is damn good. . Is there a better version? 

Q? What happened to LA 75? Were they just blown out by all things on tour? This should have been THE best ever. . everytime I try I cant get into it. . Or is it me? Maybe a Q for Strider:)

Cheers

Well, trying to keep this germane to the thread topic at hand, if I had only one bootleg to choose it would not be any of the 1975 Forum boots. In fact, I would not choose any of the shows I went to...for they already live in my head and my memory.

As for why you can't get into LA '75, it depends on what show you are talking about. March 12 Long Beach and March 24 L.A. Forum are the two I liked the best. The tempos aren't too plodding and they're still tight but loose and raunchy. The last two Forum shows get a little too loose and bloated for me. Too many ludes.

That said, there were problems with 1975 that always hold back this tour, in my estimation. Equipment and P.A. problems, for one thing. 1975 was the first time where nearly every concert I saw was marred by Jimmy breaking a string or a guitar or amp problem or the P.A. sound not being as good as it could be. 

Second, Plant was just not up to par. Even with his problems in 1973, the band was a well-oiled machine capable of carrying a less than 100% Plant. But in 1975 Jimmy broke his finger and the band had taken two years off. It was a rusty machine that took a while to get up to speed. It was not always able to carry or cover for Plant's weakened state. All you have to do is compare how he wheezes through most songs in 1975 and the more forceful singing of No Quarter and Kashmir in 1977. 

The third thing that hurt 1975 was the setlist. Rock and Roll/Sick Again was their weakest 1-2 punch of the four tours I saw from 1972-77. Not enough quick punchy numbers like The Rover, Wanton Song, When I think of how amazing The Wanton song was as an opener on the Page/Plant tour, it is a shame they didn't use it in 1975 instead of the lumbering Rock and Roll.

14 hours ago, WD52 said:

This one-first Antrabata I ever bought and the cover is a thing of beauty.

IMG_0433.jpg

A bootleg with a "Certificate of Authenticity" Absolutely hilarious, I laughed so hard I almost spat my tea over my keyboard.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

A bootleg with a "Certificate of Authenticity" Absolutely hilarious, I laughed so hard I almost spat my tea over my keyboard.

It was an unexpected, and amusing, find when I opened up the cd after buying it all those years ago. Has probably put at least 5p onto the value of the cd. 

8 hours ago, JTM said:

Well, well- 'Bootledz' site selling the following- 'Twopenny Upright CERTIFICATE ONLY by Antrabata, $29'

Just now, WD52 said:

Well, well- 'Bootledz' site selling the following- 'Twopenny Upright CERTIFICATE ONLY by Antrabata, $29'

There's always  a mug or two who'd buy them, not me though. Each to their own.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

A fool and his money...

A twopenny upright was, incidentally, a fool and his money. It was a cheap deal of sex up against a wall with a prostitute in Victorian England!

On 8/8/2020 at 11:43 AM, Strider said:

Said no one ever...until now. C'mon man, you're not even trying if that is your pick. You might as well pick "The Song Remains the Same" official release...at least you get "No Quarter" with that one. 

I could pick 10 random 1973 boots, put them on a wall and throw a dart and hit a better show than Southampton '73.

It's the show that includes the most songs from my favorites! Plus I find the loose vibes of the show to be extremely enjoyable, after all it's still '73 Zeppelin when they couldn't play a bad show if they tried (well aside from Vancouver lol), an early performance of No Quarter would have fit this show too well. Plus that 5 minute solo during Thank You remains a long time favorite guitar solo of mine. I also must admit I'm taking sound quality into a major consideration on this question because if I was limited to only 1 bootleg I would really want 1 that sounds great on my home stereo, in my car, on headphones, and just on my phone speaker at any volume.

5 hours ago, nick2632 said:

It's the show that includes the most songs from my favorites! Plus I find the loose vibes of the show to be extremely enjoyable, after all it's still '73 Zeppelin when they couldn't play a bad show if they tried (well aside from Vancouver lol), an early performance of No Quarter would have fit this show too well. Plus that 5 minute solo during Thank You remains a long time favorite guitar solo of mine. I also must admit I'm taking sound quality into a major consideration on this question because if I was limited to only 1 bootleg I would really want 1 that sounds great on my home stereo, in my car, on headphones, and just on my phone speaker at any volume.

The looseness of the Southampton gig is what has always appealed to me about that show as well, and I still think they should have put it out instead of How The West Was Won

This thread poses a very good question! After some serious consideration and soul searching, I would pick Copenhagen 7/24/79 or Offenburg 3/24/73. I think Copenhagen gives the broadest spectrum of songs from all periods of the band, Plant in maybe his best voice since post 72, and a very good quality recording. Offenburg was one of the first bootlegs I ever acquired and will always hold a special place in my heart. But, the sheer ferocity of that performance, the dynamics and interplay between Page and Bonham in particular...that entire show is just 2 hours of face-melting rock and roll. I would also agree with one of the previous posts, Burn Like a Candle is an excellent choice as well.

11 hours ago, CSamuel84 said:

This thread poses a very good question! After some serious consideration and soul searching, I would pick Copenhagen 7/24/79 or Offenburg 3/24/73. I think Copenhagen gives the broadest spectrum of songs from all periods of the band, Plant in maybe his best voice since post 72, and a very good quality recording. Offenburg was one of the first bootlegs I ever acquired and will always hold a special place in my heart. But, the sheer ferocity of that performance, the dynamics and interplay between Page and Bonham in particular...that entire show is just 2 hours of face-melting rock and roll. I would also agree with one of the previous posts, Burn Like a Candle is an excellent choice as well.

I agree I have the Copenhagen 07/24/79 and say the same thing, it has a variety of songs on it.