The Vent Thread

FuzzyMerkin

I would keep my name no matter. I think it's cool that the Mexicans, Latino's do that. It's suppossed to be out of RESPECT for the woman! :D

I can't stand it when a woman uses a mans last name, after they have been divorced, then some even remarry and still use it, just because they were ONCE married to someone famous.

pfft.

bof.

To hell with that vow crap.

I don't think that taking a man's name once you're married is a bad thing. I see is as a choice. Once thing I do think a woman should take into consideration when she divorces a man IS whether to keep the his last name if she took it in the first place.

My boyfriend's mother kept her last name when she and her ex-husband (Dave's dad) got divorced. This was because she'd had his last name longer than she'd had her maiden name, and she was also still raising his kids. (plus--this was 1979 or 1980, I believe) Dave's mother still has the same last name as his--and she's married again.

My aunt kept her last name when she got divorced after 35 years of marriage because of the fact that even though her kids were out of the house and grown, she felt like she was more her "married name" than her maiden name.

On the other hand, Dave's sister reverted back to her maiden name once she got divorced after 14 years.

My mother also reverted back to her maiden name after she had a baby with another man but did not marry him years after my parents were divorced. (that situation was complicated--my dad, my sister and me had the last name A, my mom legally had last name A until she had my baby sister and went back to B, then my baby sister has last name C as does her father... My mom went to her maiden name so my baby sister wouldn't feel "persecuted" in the fact that everyone but herself had the same last name, despite the fact that my mom and dad were divorced.)

I don't know what I would do in that situation. I guess it really depends on the individual situation I found myself in.

I had it in my divorce that I would resume my maiden name.

Maiden, heehee, sounds so innocent.... :D

To me it was just ....this is who I am NOW. My kids still held his name. That was enough.

I'm talking about chicks like Presley, who used that name through different marriages.

It's like, yeah, yeah, we know you USED to be his wife. But now you are NOT.

It would be so disrespectful to the new husband.

Jack White changed his name to his wife's when he got married. (Of course, he later got unmarried, but kept the name.) I know a lot of people where both partners adopted a hybrid surname after they got married, too. But then everybody just ended up calling them what they'd called them originally anyway. :rolleyes:

Forgot to add:

I also think it's quite strange when a man take's a woman's last name. I think it's just because tradition (at least in the cultures I'm familliar with) says if you get married, the woman takes the name. I don't think the woman has to take the name, but the man taking the name is a little too "Mikey has two daddies" for me. :lol:

Hybrid surnames are a little too "modern" for me. :lol:

It's like this: "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Smithones, what can I do for you?" (smith + Jones)

Or "My new teacher's name is Mr. Nabakovcraft." (Nabakov + Wollstonecraft)

:rolleyes:

Bob and Edith Christiansonstondonton

(krish - tyun -son -ston - don - ton).

Say it fast. haha.

...bred from Christianson, Winston, Beardon and Wimbleton.

Snatch.

~666

But what about when a woman's already been established in her carreer with her last name?

Sometimes, it's a hell of a lot easier to change your last name to a hyphenated one to cover all the certifications, degrees, standardized tests, etc., etc., etc., that one's profession has required one to take than to send a hundred thousand letters out with copies of your marriage license and name change papers, etc., etc., etc.,

I will probably hyphenate my name when Dave and I get married. I'll go by his last name for everything personal (i.e. checking accounts, bills, what I want people to call me...) but my professional paperwork and shit, but I don't want to lose credibility in my area because I changed my name---

don't scoff--it happens.

Did I mention that my sister and I are also the last in line to recieve our last names from my dad? My dad was the only actual child of his father--even though his 1/2 brother has the same last name--but that uncle is kind of strange :cough:crazy:cough:

I always said that if the man I was going to marry had a horrible sounding last name (I won't give examples just in case any of you have that name :whistling: ) I would keep my maiden name.

My maiden name was very long and ethnic and people could never say it or spell it....

Luckily my husband has a very nice, short, English sounding name...and now people have the option of calling me Mrs. rather than trying to say Kyna when they see it written on something :lol:

I actually like being called Mrs. I'm not old fashioned in any way except that way...it gives me a thrill, because I'm proud to be married to my husband B) And it was really easy to change coming to a new country....it was like a fresh start with a new name, I'm not losing any credibility :thumbsup::lol:

Did we turn this into the change yer name thread...??? :lol:

Off..off topic.

Has anyone else's sig been messed with, every other few minutes mine changes?

I will gladly fix it to whomever is messing with it if you just ask. :blush:

I know it's big, so, so sorry.

And the first pic was by request, so if I change that someone will miss it.

But please just pm me if you are trying to change it and I will do it myself.

*vent over*

wow, Scratch. :blush::wacko:

Mrs. Rorer--I understand the whole wanting to change your name because yours is a pain in the ass. No one EVER spells my last name right. They usually replace the last vowel in my last name with an "e" or an "i," or even an "o" if they're feeling fiesty and like they think they're funny. Even Dave spells my last name with the "e" in place of the correct vowel. :rolleyes:

My high school boyfriend was Basque. The first two letters of his last name were literally "Az..." with about ten letters after those first two, including "g" "n" "u" and a few "e's." I saw his sister the other day, and she got married. She happily changed her last name to "Smith" or "Jones" or whatever common name she has now. :lol:

Not mine.

How are they messing with it?I don't notice anything different.

I'm not sure, but the art print keeps dissappearing.

Once everyone's sig was resized by whomever.

Yours is smaller than it was '59.

I guess I should just change it myself.

I'll get aroundtuit later I promise. B)

This is a very good rant. :thumbsup:

Hey, thanks!

Mrs. Rorer--I understand the whole wanting to change your name because yours is a pain in the ass. No one EVER spells my last name right. They usually replace the last vowel in my last name with an "e" or an "i," or even an "o" if they're feeling fiesty and like they think they're funny. Even Dave spells my last name with the "e" in place of the correct vowel. :rolleyes:

Bleh, same here, especially over the phone. Everybody gets the F and the S's mixed up because of the sound quality, so I just automatically say S like Sam when I'm on the phone. Nobody pronounces it right, either. It's not a hard name, but everybody thinks it's Japanese (it's really Norwegian, lol), so they try to pronounce it all exotically when they don't have to. My professors always look confused to see a white kid raise her hand when they take roll the first day, since my college has an Asian majority.

On a total unrelated note, I'm tired of non-verbal rudeness, whether it's cutting in front of you in line or on the road, rushing up to something so they can get to it first, standing in the middle of a narrow space like they're on another astral plane, all that kind of stuff. Chill out and watch out.

Off..off topic.

*vent over*

Let me change to on topic...

I HATE when people get my name spelled wrong...*grumble*

:lol::D

Off..off topic.

*vent over*

I don't know..lemme see

nope...other than the missing "f"..but that happened on the old board

I would like to be known as The Honourable and Most Worshipful Percival Leslie DuPree; Vicecount Earl by Proxy of County Shidderlingstonstonswyrthe-Staffordsshiresbingdon on the Thames, by appointment of Her Majesty's most effulgent Throne.

I am the direct male descendant of the Christiansonstonton clan, but the male heir-in-waiting to the DuPree, House of Du, Lordship in Congnito.

~666

I would like to be known as The Honourable and Most Worshipful Percival Leslie DuPree; Vicecount Earl by Proxy of County Shidderlingstonstonswyrthe-Staffordsshiresbingdon on the Thames, by appointment of Her Majesty's most effulgent Throne.

I am the direct male descendant of the Christiansonstonton clan, but the male heir-in-waiting to the DuPree, House of Du, Lordship in Congnito.

~666

What a load of crap

titles are for pussies

natch

:D

^ :lol: Just a note on Spanish names for those who don't know, you take the name of both parents as a sign of respect to both parents lines, if you are Basque and choose to do so , you can also take the name of your village or province, if you have an ancestor you wish to honor, you can also take their name (appellido). I think it's a proud tradition myself..... for those who find it cumbersome, I'm sure there are plenty of other things in which to focus your controlilng, anal retentive views in this world. :D

Archived