Recorded soundchecks

elKZacha

Hey all, hope everyone is keeping well amidst this unfortunate pandemic.

Was listening to a recording of a live rehearsal from 1972 recently, and noticed that Jimmy was teasing what would eventually become the Leslie-drenched double stop progression following the main riff in the Wanton Song. He deviates a lot from the actual song and plays some really cool improv around the idea with Bonzo thundering behind, a really cool look into how they develop ideas loosely.

My question is, how many recorded soundchecks (if any) other than this are around?

The sound check that has been around for years is from Chicago 1973. It’s not from 72 or from Minneapolis 75. The Wanton Song is a rough sketch because they had yet to finish the song and record it. As heard on the soundcheck recording, only that interlude had been developed by that point.

The only other soundcheck out there is from 1/21/73,  from the show in Southampton the day before the multi-tracked show on 1/22. That soundcheck is mainly Plant and Bonham , isn’t very long, and doesn’t sound very good.

If I had to guess, the band probably had many of their soundchecks recorded. 

The common thinking is that this soundcheck is also not from Chicago 73 either. Robert's voice was in god-awful shape in Chicago while on this soundcheck he's quite clear and strong. The precise venue and date of the soundcheck is a mystery but its a gem of a recording with Wanton Song, The Rover and Night Flight plus the extended workouts on some great rock n roll classics.

44 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

The common thinking is that this soundcheck is also not from Chicago 73 either. Robert's voice was in god-awful shape in Chicago while on this soundcheck he's quite clear and strong. The precise venue and date of the soundcheck is a mystery but its a gem of a recording with Wanton Song, The Rover and Night Flight plus the extended workouts on some great rock n roll classics.

It could be from Atlanta (there's pictures of the band doing a sound-check in the sun at Braves Stadium), but it seems pretty clear it's from '73, not '75.

8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

The only ones I've heard are from Chicago '73 and Minneapolis '75, but I'm far from an authority on this topic so there could be ones I'm missing.  Both of those two I mentioned have lots of cool stuff though.

Yeah there’s some great stuff going on in the one I’ve listened to, I guess with the absence of a crowd it inspires a different kind of mindset

7 hours ago, pluribus said:

The sound check that has been around for years is from Chicago 1973. It’s not from 72 or from Minneapolis 75. The Wanton Song is a rough sketch because they had yet to finish the song and record it. As heard on the soundcheck recording, only that interlude had been developed by that point.

The only other soundcheck out there is from 1/21/73,  from the show in Southampton the day before the multi-tracked show on 1/22. That soundcheck is mainly Plant and Bonham , isn’t very long, and doesn’t sound very good.

If I had to guess, the band probably had many of their soundchecks recorded. 

I suppose this is another example of things that have been recorded but are being held in Page’s vault until further notice 😮

Do you reckon the song was completed towards the end of 73 and was one of those backlog tracks that eventually ended up on PG?

33 minutes ago, elKZacha said:

Do you reckon the song was completed towards the end of 73 and was one of those backlog tracks that eventually ended up on PG?

Probably most of the new PG songs were composed in mid-late '73 (the recording sessions began that fall but reconvened at the start of the next year), but the "backlog" songs were all from 70-72, no?  (I.e. from sessions for earlier albums.) 

1 minute ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Probably most of the new PG songs were composed in mid-late '73 (the recording sessions began that fall but reconvened at the start of the next year), but the "backlog" songs were all from 70-72, no?  (I.e. from sessions for earlier albums.) 

Wow I didn’t realise they’d used material from as early as 70, just makes you wonder how much stuff isn’t on CODA

56 minutes ago, elKZacha said:

Wow I didn’t realise they’d used material from as early as 70, just makes you wonder how much stuff isn’t on CODA

Yes, e.g. Bron-Yr-Aur is (not surprisingly) from the Zep III sessions (if memory serves, they played it at the Blueberry Hill concert):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Graffiti

8 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

The common thinking is that this soundcheck is also not from Chicago 73 either. 

The thing that links it to Chicago 73 is that the riff that they are jamming on at the start of the soundcheck recording was specifically played at Chicago 7/7/73 during the funk breakdown in Whole Lotta Love, and then never heard from again. Plants voice at the show vs the soundcheck could be due to him not singing at full volume at the soundcheck. Otherwise, could also be from other shows from early July, like 7/9 or 7/10.

38 minutes ago, pluribus said:

The thing that links it to Chicago 73 is that the riff that they are jamming on at the start of the soundcheck recording was specifically played at Chicago 7/7/73 during the funk breakdown in Whole Lotta Love, and then never heard from again. Plants voice at the show vs the soundcheck could be due to him not singing at full volume at the soundcheck. Otherwise, could also be from other shows from early July, like 7/9 or 7/10.

I agree about the jam.  His voice isn’t too much different to my ears.  And all of us have had a flu when we’re fine when we wake up and by mid day we are feeling bad and by night terrible.   Same thing.

It is odd why Plant says “are you recording tonight, we’ll leave that at the beginning of the tape...” after they do that 1st jam. 

5 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

It is odd why Plant says “are you recording tonight, we’ll leave that at the beginning of the tape...” after they do that 1st jam. 

I think he was referring to the soundcheck being recorded, as opposed to the show later on.

My take on Robert's comment at the start of the recording is, he says 'are you taping tonight? Leave that at the beginning of the tape.' He's asking the soundboard operator if they're recording that night's concert. Robert is aware they're recording the soundcheck. I think Robert was referring to an off-mic comment - probably a joke from Bonzo. Robert is saying to the soundboard operator, if you're recording tonight's show, leave that (Bonzo's joke) at the beginning.

Possibly in existence-

OCTOBER 17, 1973 - HEADLEY GRANGE STUDIOS, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND (WEDNESDAY)

Recording Includes: Baby I Don't Care (take 1), Baby I Don't Care (take 2), Jailhouse Rock (take 1), Jailhouse Rock (take 2), One Night, Don't Be Cruel (take 1), Don't Be Cruel (take 2), The Girl Of My Best Friend, Jailhouse Rock (take 3), Jailhouse Rock (take 4), Jailhouse Rock (take 5), Money Honey (take 1), Money Honey (take 2), Summertime Blues.
Source: Incomplete superb soundboard recording.
Details: The recording is professionally balanced studio board tape.

17 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

Possibly in existence-

OCTOBER 17, 1973 - HEADLEY GRANGE STUDIOS, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND (WEDNESDAY)

Recording Includes: Baby I Don't Care (take 1), Baby I Don't Care (take 2), Jailhouse Rock (take 1), Jailhouse Rock (take 2), One Night, Don't Be Cruel (take 1), Don't Be Cruel (take 2), The Girl Of My Best Friend, Jailhouse Rock (take 3), Jailhouse Rock (take 4), Jailhouse Rock (take 5), Money Honey (take 1), Money Honey (take 2), Summertime Blues.
Source: Incomplete superb soundboard recording.
Details: The recording is professionally balanced studio board tape.

I got super excited when I saw this, but then I read that it's Possibly in existence. The thing I love about the soundcheck (Chicago or wherever its from) is that they sound like they are having so much fun. Sadly when I listen to the last rehearsal, the vibe is much different. Hope that this will show up one day!  

On 8/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, pluribus said:

There's the common soundboard 7-6-73 show from Chicago where Plant's voice is toast.  The soundcheck, often referred to be in Chicago '73 (you say 7-7-73) wouldn't have been known to exist from the 7th because that tape (cd that is, far after the tape trading days) didn't surface till 2003.  Plant's voice is much better on the night of the 7th however and so that soundcheck could've been the one we hear here.  But..as I said, the 7-7-73 audience taped show wasn't around when the 'Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' soundcheck came out.  Ask me how I know about the show on the 7th.