Stevie Ray Vaughn

Legacy01

How was the Who in 89? I saw them in the 70s. Nice stub to have but wouldnt trade my Led Zeppelin 77 stub for anything.

Well it was good, but it was when they had the horn section, percussionist, and backup singers etc.. Glad I got to see them. It was the next to last show of the US tour. Dallas being the last show, I taped it off the radio.

I missed them in '82 and I would have been only 7 years old in '76 the last time they toured with Keith Moon. I missed them again in 2000. Now with just Roger and Pete -don't get me wrong I am glad they are keeping the music alive and even made a new cd-but it just isn't the same without John Entwhistle and of course Keith Moon. I think Ringo's son Zak does a amazing job on the drums- he is the closest to Keith to anyone that they have had since he passed away.

I was lucky to see John Entwhistle on a solo tour in a small club in 1996. It was awesome and I met him before the show and got my ticket stub and my Who's Next cd autographed. :D

He has several on the market now but Live Alive! was my first taste of SRV live. There's also some very choice live selections on the SRV box set as well as a DVD from Austin City Limits. All very good stuff.

05alive.JPG516KodHjvDL._AA240_.jpg

Thanks for pointing these out to me Jahfin - I'll check out some of that stuff.

I would say that it is a combination of playing witih feeling and technical ability combined. And I seriously doubt there are dozens of guitarists that can play light yrs faster than Jimmy Page. No way. And to the poster above, no my opinion isnt any better than yours since you do have knowledge of music and playing a guitar. Even a qualified listener that has a very good musical background either just in listening or playing has as good an opinion as I do. I would certainly put Jahfin in that category given his extensive musical knowledge. But I wont just put anyone in there. I thought that picture on your profile was you playing a guitar Jahfin. Or is it a young Johnny Cash? I cant tell.

As for you Deezer, dont know how long you have played or what you have listened to, but I have seen SRV and Page both. And in my opinion, Page is the best guitarist to ever walk this planet! That includes Hendrix, Clapton, Rhodes, etc. Bring em all on. Page rules to this guitar player/listener.

The problem with these whos the best arguments is that when you start comparing the likes of Page ,SRV,Hendrix,Clapton,ect there is no way to quantify the "best".There is no superbowl or world cup of guitar playing.Your opnion of Page is just as valid as Deezers of SRV.The point Deezer and Jahfiln make is that its just opinion.I agree.All the greats do something different.have different sounds.Page and SRV dont sound anything like each other,so who's the best?The one you like in your own mind is the best.We all get a little protective of our"guy"but no need to start a fight over it.

I understand what you are saying. The fight is over for now. Tomorrow there will probably be a new one over something else. :P

It does make for fun at the forum.I know alot of here are very passionate about our music,thats why were here.

SRV Kicks Ass! I have the dvd from the two shows on Austin City Limits it was recorded in 5.1 surround. Man it FEELS like you are right there. :o:notworthy:

You wanna talk about "feelin' like you were there"?

I never got to see him while he was alive, I had just started getting into him around the time he passed, late '90. When I fell, I fell hard...i discovered how good he really was...

Whenever "Live at the El Mocambo" was released, a very good friend of mine and his wife had scheduled a special "screening" at their townhouse one weekend.

I came over on a Friday night and planned to stay the evening, if not the whole weekend. We planned to watch the "new" SRV video which i had just purchased earlier that day. My friend, Scott had taken care of his end of the bargain. That is, he acquired a good amount of, uh, blotter. Yeah.

This night was to be a record for me. My friend, his wife and I sat down after dinner and prepared for the nights' festivities. We spit up the blotter, rather liberally, i might add. 5 for Scott, 5 for me and 2 for his wife. We ingested. We channel surfed for about 45 minutes until things started to get, uh, interesting. The we plopped in SRV "Live at El Mocambo". Now, use your best imagination. If you've seen the show, you'd know how incredibly good stevie was that Toronto night in 1983 (I was halfway across the world at the time-Okinawa), unaware of the "flood" that was going on that night...the Texas Flood, that is...

By the time Stevie starts playing "Texas Flood", my cohorts on the psycedelic range were, uh, melting...I felt every note, every bent string, every twang and squeel...Stevie does an incredible version of hendrix' "Third Stone From the Sun" ....halfway thru the song a string breaks, which prompts SRV to change it while he continues to play the song to completion! Incredible artist, incredibly gifted man, gone too soon...he is greatly missed!

• 6 months later...

I was lucky enough to see SRV less than two weeks before his tragedy. I can't believe I stumbled upon this thread! Stevie is my second fave guitar player after Pagey. That guy could play! And if you've never seen him live....well do a YouTube search, he was awsome in everyway!

He uses such heavey gauge strings that often he would have to put super glue on his fingers to protect them. He'd come off a concert bleeding!

SRV Live!

I was lucky enough to see SRV less than two weeks before his tragedy. I can't believe I stumbled upon this thread! Stevie is my second fave guitar player after Pagey. That guy could play! And if you've never seen him live....well do a YouTube search, he was awsome in everyway!

He uses such heavey gauge strings that often he would have to put super glue on his fingers to protect them. He'd come off a concert bleeding!

SRV Live!

Damn... I love the Blues... Thanks for that video....

Here's another one:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ymC4F5MfYk

By Jimi Hendrix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22eubaCUNJU

I loved, loved, LOVED SRV. Saw him here in the 80's w/ Greg Allman opening.

Stevie's playing really moved me, and I cried at work when I heard he passed. I just recently saw a pbs special on him and couldn't even pry myself away from the tv long enough to get a smoke! :D Will miss him forever.

Eagle, most AWESOME vid!! I can't believe I'd never seen that particular one before, it had it ALL! Close up head shots (oh the passion on his face) all the fret work, the behind the back, and the beating he gave #1. #1 was sure somethin special ay? I can't believe it survived Stevie, I think it required it's own emergency medical team after every concert :lol:

Suz, I know, I still mourn his loss. Funny things about SRV, who could pull off some of the shit he used to wear? Only SRV, LOL! And ya know, a lot of people beat him up as a second rate Jimi or that he tried to copy Jimi, well Jimi was his biggest inspiration! I believe he actually channeled Jimi when he played.

All GREAT songs you posted there Eagle...and one of my faves, so sensuous...Riviera Paradise....mmmm

Ya know, he was always scared to sing, didn't think he had it in him. After a while he became more comfortable with it and I think his voice perfectly compliments his playing...

Just a tidbit...his ex, Lenny, has a place on the Island that I go to every year for my Yoga retreat. I'd really like to move to that Island one day ; )

Thanks for the GREAT posts!!

:thumbsup:

Eagle, most AWESOME vid!! I can't believe I'd never seen that particular one before, it had it ALL! Close up head shots (oh the passion on his face) all the fret work, the behind the back, and the beating he gave #1. #1 was sure somethin special ay? I can't believe it survived Stevie, I think it required it's own emergency medical team after every concert :lol:

Suz, I know, I still mourn his loss. Funny things about SRV, who could pull off some of the shit he used to wear? Only SRV, LOL! And ya know, a lot of people beat him up as a second rate Jimi or that he tried to copy Jimi, well Jimi was his biggest inspiration! I believe he actually channeled Jimi when he played.

All GREAT songs you posted there Eagle...and one of my faves, so sensuous...Riviera Paradise....mmmm

Ya know, he was always scared to sing, didn't think he had it in him. After a while he became more comfortable with it and I think his voice perfectly compliments his playing...

Just a tidbit...his ex, Lenny, has a place on the Island that I go to every year for my Yoga retreat. I'd really like to move to that Island one day ; )

Thanks for the GREAT posts!!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Medhb im glad you've enjoyed the videos... :beer:

When he play the guitar behind his back... that's great!

And yes, you're right with the SRV singing... It's exactly the voice that these songs needed.

Here's SRV giving Guitar Lessons...

Stevie Ray Vaughan Guitar Lesson

Link:

Freaking awesome!

Ahhhh, yes, I had seen that one but it sure is worth watching again! Freaking awesome is right! I'm so glad to find some other SRV lovers here!

Ahhhh, yes, I had seen that one but it sure is worth watching again! Freaking awesome is right! I'm so glad to find some other SRV lovers here!

Then Medhb, this is for you... a classic

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (Long version!)

Link:

Plus:

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Jeff Beck

Link:

• 2 years later...

A Texas musician named Marc Benno hired SRV, before Stevie became influenced by Hendrix. I'm familiar with Marc Benno through his work(late 60's/early 70's with Leon Russell. Benno also contributed to The Doors L.A. Woman LP.

Here is a link to Marc's site with a mention about SRV.....

Marc Benno and The Nightcrawlers/Stevie Ray Vaughan

(Note the spelling of Vaughan, it's NOT Vaughn.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Gone but not forgotten,

I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray Vaughan a couple of times one at Canada's Wonderland when he wasn't even on tour (1987) and fifth row floor center when open for Robert Plant in Toronto way back in 1988, His was possibly one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ2KT2UAc5U&feature=related

Gone but not forgotten,

I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray Vaughan a couple of times one at Canada's Wonderland when he wasn't even on tour (1987) and fifth row floor center when open for Robert Plant in Toronto way back in 1988, His was possibly one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ2KT2UAc5U&feature=related

Great video and find.I was there!!! He is still in my top 5 for guitarist. SRV was amazing live!! I own a few DVD's as well. What a tragedy to lose him...but like you stated^^ never forgotten!! EVER!!!!!!!!!

Archived