Stevie Ray Vaughn

Legacy01

I remember seeing him on Saturday Night Live in the 80's and being just blown away by him. I was just discovering the great guitarists and hadn't seen him live, until then. Top 5 favorite, for sure!

When people slam the 80s as being a totally vapid decade for music Stevie Ray Vaughan seems to be one of very many artists they completely overlook. Not only did he help revive the blues, he turned rock n' roll itself on it's ear. When I first heard "Tick Tock" by the Vaughan Brothers I had a very hard time believing it was Stevie Ray Vaughan but it just goes to show how varied his influences were. It was pretty far removed from the likes of "Texas Flood" but it was still quintessential Stevie from top to bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do not have this DVD, buy it!!

Buddy Guy - Long Way From Home (A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan)(DVD rip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmM3MbFhlaE&feature=related

Eric Clapton - Aint' Gone 'N Give Up On Your Love (A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan)(DVD rip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPWa2g02a8&feature=related

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

From All Things Music Plus on Facebook:

http://youtu.be/xjVXuxz6Yh8

ON THIS DATE (22 YEARS AGO)

August 27, 1990 - Stevie Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990), three members of Eric Clapton's band, and the pilot were killed in a helicopter crash while trying to navigate through dense fog in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. Vaughan was 35.

On the morning of August 26, 1990, Vaughan told his band and crew members about a horrible nightmare in which he was at his own funeral and saw thousands of mourners. He felt "terrified, yet almost peaceful." Backstage after the show that evening, the musicians talked about playing together again, particularly with Eric Clapton for a series of dates at London's Royal Albert Hall in February and March 1991. Moments later, Peter Jackson, Clapton's tour manager, said that the weather was getting worse and they had to leave soon. According to Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton, Vaughan's last words to him were, "I love ya."

Dew was settling on the windshields of the four helicopters waiting to transport the performers back to Chicago. Stevie Ray, his elder brother Jimmie Vaughan, and his wife Connie made their way to their reserved helicopter, a Bell 206B Jet Ranger booked by Omniflight Helicopters and manned by Jeff Brown, a 42-year-old veteran pilot. Peter Jackson, one of Clapton's tour managers let Vaughan know that three seats were reserved for himself, Jimmie, and Connie. Upon arrival, they discovered that their seats had been taken by members of Clapton's crew, agent Bobby Brooks, bodyguard Nigel Browne, and assistant tour manager Colin Smythe. Vaughan, wanting to get back to Chicago, asked Jimmie and Connie if he could take the last seat, saying "I really need to get back." They obliged and caught the next flight in Lake Geneva with Layton and Jimmie's manager, Mark Proct.

At 1 a.m., the helicopters departed in dense fog at two-minute intervals. Jeff Brown, occupying the right seat in the cockpit, guided the helicopter off the golf course, remaining at a high speed and slightly lower altitude than the others. It banked sharply to the left and crashed into the side of a 300-foot-high ski slope, about 0.6 miles (0.97 km) from takeoff. All on board were killed instantly. With no fire or explosion, the bodies and debris were scattered over an area of 200 square feet (19 m2). Nobody was aware of the crash until the helicopter failed to arrive at its destination the next morning.

At 7 a.m., an Air Force search helicopter, carrying sheriff's deputies, found the wreckage, which was 50 feet (15 m) below the summit of the hill. Shortly after, Clapton and Jimmie Vaughan were called to the morgue to identify the bodies. According to an autopsy report, Vaughan had suffered many unsurvivable injuries, such as transection and dissection of the aorta, multiple depressed skull fractures, ruptured spleen and liver, along with fractures of the right thigh bone and ribs. An investigation found that no drugs or alcohol were involved, and all victims had worn seatbelts. No part malfunction was found in the investigation. Pilot Jeff Brown had many hours of experience operating the Bell 206B at night. However, he had an instrument rating for flying airplanes at night with dense fog, not helicopters. The cause of the crash was that Brown simply did not see the hill and flew the helicopter full speed into the hillside due to low visibility.

• 1 month later...

I saw SRV open for Robert Plant at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Great show. First and only time I've seen an opening band get to do an encore.....at least that is what I remember.....Stevie was one of the greats. Loved his tune titled "Lenny"....

• 1 year later...

Archived