Flu shot? Is it good or not?

LedZeppfan1977

I have never gotten the flu shot.  .Have pretty much been afraid to. Why would I get a shot that is going to make me feel worse?  And do they really know what the hell they are doing?  I know its not 1800's medicine, but its far from perfect.  I had a doctor visit Friday using Zoom software.  I am sure  some of you have done this with Covid?  He has pretty much convinced me to get the blasted shot.  Like I said in another thread, that was shut down for reasons I do not know, that I did have the shingles vaccine.  And Pneumonia.  I got the shingles because my mother got the shingles and NO THANKS.  It sucks. Big time. So I may roll the dice and get the flue shot. Lets hope some doctor somewhere comes up with the solution to this nightmare known as Covid

Would like to know how the rest of you feel about this. And do not make it political or you know what happens next.  Poof

I get the annual Flu Shot, have done for the past three years. It was recommended to me because of a script med (Methotrexate) I was taking that supposedly lowered the immune system putting me at risk of contracting a virus. Fortunately I no longer take it, good job really with the Covid situation. The Flu jab itself, just a quick jab and done, no side effects at all. Not sure If I will be offered a Flu Jab this year, I'll have it if I'm offered, it's free so why not.

I have it every year as I have a chronic pre existing health issue. Painless and worth doing as it gives you a degree of protection from a range of flu strains (but not all).

Get the shot, Rick.  It takes a few seconds and the chances of any side effects are minuscule.   I've never had any adverse reaction, and I can't remember the last time I had the flue.  Just do it. 

8 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have never gotten the flu shot.  .Have pretty much been afraid to. Why would I get a shot that is going to make me feel worse?  And do they really know what the hell they are doing?  I know its not 1800's medicine, but its far from perfect.  I had a doctor visit Friday using Zoom software.  I am sure  some of you have done this with Covid?  He has pretty much convinced me to get the blasted shot.  Like I said in another thread, that was shut down for reasons I do not know, that I did have the shingles vaccine.  And Pneumonia.  I got the shingles because my mother got the shingles and NO THANKS.  It sucks. Big time. So I may roll the dice and get the flue shot. Lets hope some doctor somewhere comes up with the solution to this nightmare known as Covid

Would like to know how the rest of you feel about this. And do not make it political or you know what happens next.  Poof

I get the flu shot every season. Doesn't mean you won't get influenza; not all of the vaccines developed each season end up specifically preventing whichever strain ends up going around. But they try to narrow down the strain they think will be spreading. MOST of the influenza strains originate in China/Asia. Influenza can have mild symptoms, but as people get older it can be devastating for especially older people or people with other health issues.

So, I don't see why you would not get it?  What does your doctor recommend? I am certain that given your history of having pneumonia he would teling you to get the annual flu shots. Most insurance covers them for free. You don't even need to go to a doctors office, I get mine at the local grocery store that has a pharmacist on staff-- only takes a few minutes.

Here it the thing:  LAST thing you want to happen to you this winter is end up with bad case of influenza which causes you to need to go to the hospital. At present they expect an uptick in covid infections come this winter cold and flu season, so why risk being in a hosptial waiting room for a possible case of the flu among people who may have covid infection.  And if this fall ends up like last spring and you do end up in a hospital FOR ANY REASON (broken leg, infection, car accident) your family WILL NOT be allowed to come and visit you--- or be there to assist in managing or advocating for your care. 

On one hand the flu season may not be as bad this year with people all wearing masks, social distancing, working from home, and hand washing.  If you are holed up at home anyway, then maybe no reason to worry. But I have never had a problem from a flu shot in over 20 plus years.  Sore arm for a day is the worst thing, so if you plan on being the starting pitcher at your weekend baseball game... ask them to not to the shot in your pitching arm.

In addition:  Have you had the pneumonia vaccine?  You said you had pneumonia once. Ask your doctor about it. I believe the pneumonia vaccine is  a series of 3 shots over a couple of years.  Like the shingles vaccine, well worth it in my opinion.

You can do whatever you want, but unless you have a problem with science and the long history of human created vaccines/cures (small pox for instance) and the advance of medicine especially over the last 100 plus years, it seems a no brainier. If you trust engineers to build a plane that can take off, fly, then land safely, then you should have no trouble trusting the field of medicine. There are no guarantees in life, but hedge your bets and go with the option that gives you a little extra insurance.

18 hours ago, kipper said:

I get the flu shot every season. Doesn't mean you won't get influenza; not all of the vaccines developed each season end up specifically preventing whichever strain ends up going around. But they try to narrow down the strain they think will be spreading. MOST of the influenza strains originate in China/Asia. Influenza can have mild symptoms, but as people get older it can be devastating for especially older people or people with other health issues.

So, I don't see why you would not get it?  What does your doctor recommend? I am certain that given your history of having pneumonia he would teling you to get the annual flu shots. Most insurance covers them for free. You don't even need to go to a doctors office, I get mine at the local grocery store that has a pharmacist on staff-- only takes a few minutes.

Here it the thing:  LAST thing you want to happen to you this winter is end up with bad case of influenza which causes you to need to go to the hospital. At present they expect an uptick in covid infections come this winter cold and flu season, so why risk being in a hosptial waiting room for a possible case of the flu among people who may have covid infection.  And if this fall ends up like last spring and you do end up in a hospital FOR ANY REASON (broken leg, infection, car accident) your family WILL NOT be allowed to come and visit you--- or be there to assist in managing or advocating for your care. 

On one hand the flu season may not be as bad this year with people all wearing masks, social distancing, working from home, and hand washing.  If you are holed up at home anyway, then maybe no reason to worry. But I have never had a problem from a flu shot in over 20 plus years.  Sore arm for a day is the worst thing, so if you plan on being the starting pitcher at your weekend baseball game... ask them to not to the shot in your pitching arm.

In addition:  Have you had the pneumonia vaccine?  You said you had pneumonia once. Ask your doctor about it. I believe the pneumonia vaccine is  a series of 3 shots over a couple of years.  Like the shingles vaccine, well worth it in my opinion.

NO NO NO.  You mis read the info.  I NEVER HAD PNUMONIA.    I had the vaccine fr it recently.  NEVER HAD IT PAL.   I wish I were pitching this weekend for my pathetic baseball team.  They might win one.   Or not.   I might get it. I still think its a bunch of hoo ha.  

On 8/31/2020 at 6:07 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

NO NO NO.  You mis read the info.  I NEVER HAD PNUMONIA.    I had the vaccine fr it recently.  NEVER HAD IT PAL.   I wish I were pitching this weekend for my pathetic baseball team.  They might win one.   Or not.   I might get it. I still think its a bunch of hoo ha.  

Get a flu shot. This fall no matter what you do not want to end up in the hospital with the covid thing. We aren't out of the woods on covid, and a good chance that as the weather cools off it will come back like an angry bitch. 

Like I said, what does your doctor recommend? I'm sure for a guy your age he is telling you to get a flu shot.

4 hours ago, kipper said:

Get a flu shot. This fall no matter what you do not want to end up in the hospital with the covid thing. We aren't out of the woods on covid, and a good chance that as the weather cools off it will come back like an angry bitch. 

Like I said, what does your doctor recommend? I'm sure for a guy your age he is telling you to get a flu shot.

Of course he is.  Go get it.  I am not going to be a guinea pig for Donald Trump however. You know my daughter, the youngest who is 33, tested positive 3 weeks ago.  She works at the biggest hospital in Rochester as a nurse.  She got through it fine.  Only thing was no smell or taste.  I know it would not be such an easy ride for my ass.  I do not intend to find out.  I went to a restaurant yesterday with my wife's friends who are in town from Arizona.  Originally from here but will never return, as they have seen enough brutal winters of Rochester and Buffalo.  We went into an Applebees as the Distillery in the region we went to on the West side, which I hate, was closed.  Had to have them open a bottle of Guinness and mix with Blue Moon on tap.  I stick with Guinness as its the best one for diabetes.  I learned this from a Dr.  I might get the damn shot?  Never had one. Never believed in them.  Why do I want to inject myself with the damn flu?  Why?  I do not go anywhere other than yesterday.  Cant even go to a football or hockey game.  Or a baseball game.  But I might roll the dice this time against my own gut and listen to the so called experts.  Talk soon Joel.   😀

4 hours ago, ebk said:

Get the flu shot, Rick. 

How bout our O's!!!!  4-1 up on Yankees.  This kid that pitched 6 innings of 1 hit ball?  Is he from Bowie?  One of the big prospects I guess I read about?  Love it. We are only 2 back of them if we win this game.  I like our chances and our future

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

How bout our O's!!!!  4-1 up on Yankees.  This kid that pitched 6 innings of 1 hit ball?  Is he from Bowie?  One of the big prospects I guess I read about?  Love it. We are only 2 back of them if we win this game.  I like our chances and our future

It was a good game and I hope the kid continues to be this good.

Meanwhile, get the shot :) 

17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Of course he is.  Go get it.  I am not going to be a guinea pig for Donald Trump however. You know my daughter, the youngest who is 33, tested positive 3 weeks ago.  She works at the biggest hospital in Rochester as a nurse.  She got through it fine.  Only thing was no smell or taste.  I know it would not be such an easy ride for my ass.  I do not intend to find out.  I went to a restaurant yesterday with my wife's friends who are in town from Arizona.  Originally from here but will never return, as they have seen enough brutal winters of Rochester and Buffalo.  We went into an Applebees as the Distillery in the region we went to on the West side, which I hate, was closed.  Had to have them open a bottle of Guinness and mix with Blue Moon on tap.  I stick with Guinness as its the best one for diabetes.  I learned this from a Dr.  I might get the damn shot?  Never had one. Never believed in them.  Why do I want to inject myself with the damn flu?  Why?  I do not go anywhere other than yesterday.  Cant even go to a football or hockey game.  Or a baseball game.  But I might roll the dice this time against my own gut and listen to the so called experts.  Talk soon Joel.   😀

I don't feel the seasonal flu shot is a "roll of the dice" but it really does no harm. If you are diabetic I worry that if you got a bad case of the flu, ended up in the hospital, and then exposed to covid----that would be none too good.

Glad to hear your daughter pulled through okay. I know 4 people who have had the mild version (they were in good health going in), two people who passed away. But the two that died were older and fragile.

You weren't at that restaurant in Rochester attacked by BLM were you?  Horrible thing it looked like.  So called "peaceful" whatever my ass.

Be safe.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, ebk said:

It was a good game and I hope the kid continues to be this good.

Meanwhile, get the shot :) 

The Yankees are free falling/  We are 2 games back!!!!!!  2!!!!!!  We are going to go in there and hand them their ass's.  Go O's!!!!  I am very upset about Santander though.  It sounds like he is gone.  Sucks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the flue shot again now.  Along with the other hundred shots it seems I have had.  Pneumonia, shingles (shingrix, two shots), 4 Covid vaccines and boosters, .  Its hard to imagine all of this stays in your system and it is likely worn off in the case of the flu shot by spring?  That is why you need it every year.  Unlike Shingles and such. Covid is a work in progress.

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have the flue shot again now.  Along with the other hundred shots it seems I have had.  Pneumonia, shingles (shingrix, two shots), 4 Covid vaccines and boosters, .  Its hard to imagine all of this stays in your system and it is likely worn off in the case of the flu shot by spring?  That is why you need it every year.  Unlike Shingles and such. Covid is a work in progress.

Jeez!

Give your poor body a break!

Look after your immune system instead.