1973.01.22 Remastered Soundboard

SteveZ98

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 5:02 PM, SteveZ98 said:

This is the third installment in The Stereo Project series. Robert's voice is louder than it's been in past releases of this show. I also split the guitar so it's in both channels, which gives it a fuller sound. Send me a message if you want a link.

I was just thinking how could this be improved & you got me the answer right there. Send me a link please. Thanks

Oh wow, I wish I had known about this last week! I just recorded a play along drum video to this show and will post it on the anniversary of the gig, Friday. I would have liked to have used your version. Thanks for the work you've been doing! 

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, AchillesLastBand said:

Um, through Dancing Days this show frankly blows away anything I've yet heard vis a vis '73 bootlegs. Maybe doesn't blow away 3/21 Hamburg but this sound quality is excellent!

I also recently got a link from Steve to this show, and I was also astounded how much better it sounded than other copies I had in the past.  I always thought that the 1/22/73 was stellar quality with decent performances of most of the songs, but I could never get past how low Robert Plant's vocals were in the mix.  Steve somehow managed to push the vocals up in the mix where this show is now elevated to a very enjoyable listening experience.

In a way, this show has always reminded me of 4/24/69 in terms of sound quality.  With the 4/24/69 show, the on-stage mics capture the band's sound perfectly, but again, Plant's vocals are quite distant in the mix.  I wonder if this show might be a good candidate for a remastering job to push up the vocals?

-Scott

3 hours ago, scottbtdmb said:

In a way, this show has always reminded me of 4/24/69 in terms of sound quality.  With the 4/24/69 show, the on-stage mics capture the band's sound perfectly, but again, Plant's vocals are quite distant in the mix.  I wonder if this show might be a good candidate for a remastering job to push up the vocals?

I just listened to 4/24/69. The vocals are so low in the mix that I'm not sure the software I use to break songs apart will be able to recognize it. If it does, I'll be able to raise the level of Robert's voice like I did with the 1/22/73 show. If not, I'll still be able to fix up the sound a bit but he'll remain low in the mix. I'll let you know how it turns out.

9 hours ago, scottbtdmb said:

I experimented for an hour or so and was able to raise the level of Robert's voice. However, I had to do so much processing to it so the software could capture his vocals that they sound somewhat unnatural. Here's a sample of Killing Floor so you can hear what I'm talking about:

Have just started listening to this show and will listen to the sample, thanks. ALAIHY is slayin'. Early days re: this show but so far, sound quality-wise, it's even better than 4/27, I think. I wouldn't be surprised either if Percy is even better than three days later.

ALB

Edited by AchillesLastBand
Clarification

18 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I experimented for an hour or so and was able to raise the level of Robert's voice. However, I had to do so much processing to it so the software could capture his vocals that they sound somewhat unnatural. Here's a sample of Killing Floor so you can hear what I'm talking about:

I see what you mean about the vocals sounding a little unnatural after the processing, but it is still damn impressive that you have software that is capable of doing that!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ericmiles said:

What is the software do you use for this?

The software that splits the songs into individual instruments so I can remix them in stereo is open source and can be downloaded for free. I'll send you a message with info about it. The main software I use to do the remastering is "Ozone" by a company called Izotope. It's designed for mastering music that is relatively well recorded to begin with, so getting it to work on raw Zep soundboards requires multiple passes. I also use VST plugins by a variety of companies, all of which are sold through an online store called the Plugin Alliance. When I began doing this about a decade ago, I used all free software. While it was great to not have to spend money to get started, free software can change the sound of what you're working on in unintended ways. Once I realized this was going to be a long-term hobby, I decided purchasing professional software made sense because it reduced my frustration level and therefore made the hobby more enjoyable.

One of the features of custom software development services like https://mlsdev.com/services/dedicated-development-team is post-launch support. The company supports the product long-term, in other words, it makes sure that every customer who uses the program ends up with a satisfactory experience. This means that there are no problems with the system at the end of its life. The support also includes updates to the program and fixing bugs. As soon as problems arise, they quickly resolve them so that your users continue to have a good experience using the product.

Edited by ericmiles