announcement complete 3/24/1975 L.A Soundboard

duckman

16 minutes ago, Strider said:

You just know they have all the Long Beach Arena/L.A. Forum soundboards.

At this stage, yeah, they've (meaning EV) played all their cards.  The only question now is how long they're going to prolong the process.  With this mysterious Minneapolis board coming out, it's possible there's a new source about to break into the market.  That's great!

To my ears "The Pareidolia Paradigm" release was an improvement to "Deep Throat". So I'm very curious to the soundboard version of this (and next year march 25th and 27th?) show.

In how many different forms (and prices) will it be released? Just like "Deus Ex Machina" 1975 - 03 - 17 & 21?

'Deus Ex Machina', 8 cd's

'Deus Ex Machina - Deluxe Edition' 14 cd's and 

'Deus Ex Machina - Promo Edition' 7 cd's

15 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

With this mysterious Minneapolis board coming out, it's possible there's a new source about to break into the market.  That's great!

Doubtful IMO. Most of what we know about the 1975-01-18 board's story is up on RO Friends members only section. Sam (this site's admin) has posted possible full set list from info that is at least a couple of years old, but from what's been said there is no indication the source had/has any other material. In February this year the OP at Royal Orleans had some sort of contact with the source or someone else who had the teasers, which were subsequently posted. The source apparently wanted $20,000 for the full or near complete board.  The couple of short samples including first 20 seconds or so of Wanton Song and I think some intro crowd noise. And now 7 months later we have 25 minutes or so of the board..... anyway there was never any public indication of whether the source had further material. 

Edit: Actually someone else on that RO thread had those teasers as well, and posted "My source whom I get these 2 says he got also three LA 77 shows, sounds pretty amazing, huh?
Unfortunately, when I asked him of what kind of gratification he would go up with this, he said 20k...ooops, I think only one label could spend such sum eventually and here we got explanation why these sets are so expensive these days. I hope no gimme gimme wanky talkin' would appear after this. At least I fully understand the cruel rules of capitalism."

But it's all just hearsay isn't it, if something new turns up then great, if not then, well, my guess is that even in 20 years we will still have the occasional new release, even if it's just previously unreleased 8mm clips or something.

Edited by SilverVishnu

• Administrators

Looking forward to the full 3/24 SBD.

I've been asked by some fans....  There were several other SBDs from the Minneapolis batch:  1) Knebworth 8-11-79 (near complete),  2)  1980 tour rehearsal (Victoria Theater) full set / typical set list,   3) 90min tape of Maryland 77 (date not specified), first part of show.

The full Minneapolis SBD setlist from that source was listed as:

Rock and Roll
Sick Again
Over the Hills & Far Away
When the Levee Breaks
The Song Remains the Same
The Rain Song
Kashmir
Wanton Song (incomplete)
No Quarter
Trampled Underfoot
Moby Dick
In My Time of Dying
Stairway to Heaven
Black Dog (I'm guessing with WLL intro)

--

1 hour ago, SilverVishnu said:

Doubtful IMO. Most of what we know about the 1975-01-18 board's story is up on RO Friends members only section. Sam (this site's admin) has posted possible full set list from info that is at least a couple of years old, but from what's been said there is no indication the source had/has any other material. In February this year the OP at Royal Orleans had some sort of contact with the source or someone else who had the teasers, which were subsequently posted. The source apparently wanted $20,000 for the full or near complete board.  The couple of short samples including first 20 seconds or so of Wanton Song and I think some intro crowd noise. And now 7 months later we have 25 minutes or so of the board..... anyway there was never any public indication of whether the source had further material. 

Edit: Actually someone else on that RO thread had those teasers as well, and posted "My source whom I get these 2 says he got also three LA 77 shows, sounds pretty amazing, huh?
Unfortunately, when I asked him of what kind of gratification he would go up with this, he said 20k...ooops, I think only one label could spend such sum eventually and here we got explanation why these sets are so expensive these days. I hope no gimme gimme wanky talkin' would appear after this. At least I fully understand the cruel rules of capitalism."

But it's all just hearsay isn't it, if something new turns up then great, if not then, well, my guess is that even in 20 years we will still have the occasional new release, even if it's just previously unreleased 8mm clips or something.

Sure, I'm just speculating, and who knows about claims like this:

But it's clear 1-18 isn't an EV release, so there's another source besides the "Soundboard Revolution" from the last 15 years or so.  The fact that EV seems prepared to release the full 3-24 show after already releasing the first Osaka show earlier this year (granted, they may drag out LA into early next year) suggests to me that they may sense (or maybe acknowledge is more accurate) the bottom finally falling out of this market and that a fire sale may be in order.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:50 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I've been asked by some fans....  There were several other SBDs from the Minneapolis batch:  1) Knebworth 8-11-79 (near complete),  2)  1980 tour rehearsal (Victoria Theater) full set / typical set list,   3) 90min tape of Maryland 77 (date not specified), first part of show.

Rock and Roll
Sick Again
When the Levee Breaks
The Rain Song
Kashmir
Wanton Song (incomplete)
No Quarter
Trampled Underfoot
Moby Dick
In My Time of Dying
Stairway to Heaven

--

Lord I’d be over the moon for that full 1980 rehearsal! I’ve always had a big soft spot for the songs that already circulate from it 

On 9/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Rock and Roll
Sick Again
When the Levee Breaks
The Rain Song
Kashmir
Wanton Song (incomplete)
No Quarter
Trampled Underfoot
Moby Dick
In My Time of Dying
Stairway to Heaven

--

Hi Sam - what do you mean when you say the Minneapolis batch? Were they stolen together? Were they available for sale together? Has a bootleg label confirmed they have them all? 

thanks

1 hour ago, No Quota said:

Viva La Soundboard Revolution 

Opening night if LA complete soundboard coming soon!

I think the matrix will be epic!

edit

sorry guys. I should have looked in the live area for this announcement. I just got an email and was over zealous. 
I would delete 

Don't sweat it.  I'm a lot more excited about this than the Minneapolis board that just got (partially) released.  I'm hoping this presages an expedited release process by EV (e.g. so that we'll get the 2nd night in Long Beach sooner rather than later).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

In how many different forms (and prices) will it be released? Just like "Deus Ex Machina" 1975 - 03 - 17 & 21?

'Deus Ex Machina', 8 cd's

'Deus Ex Machina - Deluxe Edition' 14 cd's and 

'Deus Ex Machina - Promo Edition' 7 cd's

apparently just 2 different copies, according to Blimp_Life on twitter:

1875890523_Schermafbeelding2020-09-20om10_43_22.png.b5852bdf1a927f613fa9b340ccf75c70.png

11 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

apparently just 2 different copies, according to Blimp_Life on twitter:

1875890523_Schermafbeelding2020-09-20om10_43_22.png.b5852bdf1a927f613fa9b340ccf75c70.png

Nice marketing hype. Legendary? The 1975 L.A. Forum shows were good and at times great. But hardly legendary. Certainly not in the way 3.21.75 Seattle was legendary or 1977 L.A. Forum.

...but we want to make money and sell as much as possible, that's why we're exaggerating it a bit. 😂😂 and that's why we're releasing it in 2 different formats, one with the audience which we've released before: 3 times "Deep Throat", twice "Pareidolia Paradigm".

And we have another label - Moonchild - which also released the 1975-03-24 show ("Get back to L.A.")

19 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

...but we want to make money and sell as much as possible, that's why we're exaggerating it a bit. 😂😂 and that's why we're releasing it in 2 different formats, one with the audience which we've released before: 3 times "Deep Throat", twice "Pareidolia Paradigm".

And we have another label - Moonchild - which also released the 1975-03-24 show ("Get back to L.A.")

I've known a couple of Zep fanatics with endless money who truly got off on the goal of collecting each and every high-end box set from Japan, and the more "Extremely Limited,"  the better.  Why? Just because! Bragging rights, I guess. "I've got THE best collection in NYC now." Etc. They didn't have to spend time looking--their sources just sent them what they knew these cats wanted soon as they possibly could. This was a great thing, in the days before downloading, if you knew guys like this because you could ask them nicely to burn you copies of their silvers and they probably would, if they were in the mood! Even now, I assume high-end collectors  who don't care about money get off on this. According to EV, there are 100 of these fuckers? Sounds about right.

1 minute ago, High-hopes Hailla said:

I've known a couple of Zep fanatics with endless money who truly got off on the goal of collecting each and every high-end box set from Japan, and the more "Extremely Limited,"  the better.  Why? Just because! Bragging rights, I guess. "I've got THE best collection in NYC now." Etc. They didn't have to spend time looking--their sources just sent them what they knew these cats wanted soon as they possibly could. This was a great thing, in the days before downloading, if you knew guys like this because you could ask them nicely to burn you copies of their silvers and they probably would, if they were in the mood! Even now, I assume high-end collectors  who don't care about money get off on this. According to EV, there are 100 of these fuckers? Sounds about right.

I met one of these guys back in the 90s. He had all the heavies (basically everything on the original Tarantura label, Antrabata, Akashic, etc.), plus all the regular stuff I'd find at record shows as well. He said there were packages coming from Japan a couple of times a week. He made CD-Rs of everything I asked for just because he knew how much I was into Zep. We met in person at the '98 Page/Plant show in Cleveland and he was as cool as you'd imagine. I also asked him about what must have been some eye watering credit card bills and he said he and his wife made good money and she knew it was his hobby so she didn't give him a hard time about it. 

27 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

I met one of these guys back in the 90s. He had all the heavies (basically everything on the original Tarantura label, Antrabata, Akashic, etc.), plus all the regular stuff I'd find at record shows as well. He said there were packages coming from Japan a couple of times a week. He made CD-Rs of everything I asked for just because he knew how much I was into Zep. We met in person at the '98 Page/Plant show in Cleveland and he was as cool as you'd imagine. I also asked him about what must have been some eye watering credit card bills and he said he and his wife made good money and she knew it was his hobby so she didn't give him a hard time about it. 

Apropos of nothing…just wanted to say I love your quote. Member's quotes only show up when I visit this site on desktop, which is rare, as I usually keep tabs on my phone. 

23 minutes ago, Strider said:

Apropos of nothing…just wanted to say I love your quote. Member's quotes only show up when I visit this site on desktop, which is rare, as I usually keep tabs on my phone. 

Thanks. For me, technique is always a servant of the music, never it's master. I'll take some kid who just learned his third chord over a Berkeley graduate any day if I find the kid's music more exciting. And I know there has to be some minimal level of competence, but once you're there all I care about is how much your music moves me.

Edited by SteveZ98

On 9/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Strider said:

Nice marketing hype. Legendary? The 1975 L.A. Forum shows were good and at times great. But hardly legendary. Certainly not in the way 3.21.75 Seattle was legendary or 1977 L.A. Forum.

I do have to say that the third night at The Forum in 1975 might be one of my favorite Zep shows of all-time. 

1 hour ago, Miinsane1971 said:

I do have to say that the third night at The Forum in 1975 might be one of my favorite Zep shows of all-time. 

Linda Lovelace introducing the band. A marathon show close to four hours, featuring a terrific "No Quarter", the last of the three "Since I've Been Loving You" played in 1975, the longest (but far from the best) "Dazed and Confused" and the longest and one of the best theremin jams of the U.S. tour. If any of the three L.A. Forum shows of 1975 has any claim to legendary status, it is this one. Unfortunately, Robert Plant's voice is so inconsistent during the 1975 Forum run.

I'll take a March 12 Long Beach soundboard over any of the Forum nights.

Edited by Strider

Soundboards suck! I don’t get the  attraction to SB. Makes the band sound flat. Give me a thunderous audience recording so I can hear what they heard in the 1970s. I read reviews of the heavy “ thunder “ of the live shows but sounds very mean and mild with soundboards. 

Edited by Blaize86