announcement complete 3/24/1975 L.A Soundboard

duckman

10 hours ago, Blaize86 said:

Soundboards suck! I don’t get the  attraction to SB. Makes the band sound flat. Give me a thunderous audience recording so I can hear what they heard in the 1970s. I read reviews of the heavy “ thunder “ of the live shows but sounds very mean and mild with soundboards. 

Not all soundboards are created equal. Not all audience tapes are created equal.

Mike Millard or the guys who recorded 3.7.70 Montreux or 9.14.71 Berkeley or 9.29.71 Osaka couldn't be everywhere. Some audience tapes sound like crap or are incomplete. For those shows a soundboard is necessary to complete the picture.

The 1975 soundboards are the exception to the "soundboards sound flat" rule. Bonham and Jones especially come through loud and powerful on the 1975 soundboards.

Like hummingbird, I am more interested in January 1975 soundboards than LA Forum soundboards. We have the Millard tapes for the Forum shows and even March 12 Long Beach is more listenable now with the recent third source release.

But there are ZERO listenable audience tapes available from the early 1975 concerts. Chicago barely passes the listenable test...and you still need a good pair of bootleg ears to endure the tape.

For these shows, soundboards will be the only way we get a reasonable representation of Led Zeppelin at the beginning of the 1975 tour. One listen to the Minneapolis soundboard snippet should be enough to prove that to you.

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

The soundboards from 1975 are so amazing any audience tapes from this tour are kind of worthless now and aren’t worth much unless you’re a stamp collector type. 

I would never go so far as to say that Mike Millard's tapes are worthless.

15 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

The soundboards from 1975 are so amazing any audience tapes from this tour are kind of worthless now and aren’t worth much unless you’re a stamp collector type. 

14 hours ago, Strider said:

I would never go so far as to say that Mike Millard's tapes are worthless.

Or Freezer's, for that matter- I mean, his 2/28/75 audience tape sounds so good, who gives a flying fuck about the soundboard? IMO a good audience tape will beat a drier than stale melba toast soundboard tape ANY ol' day of the week...

12 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

Or Freezer's, for that matter- I mean, his 2/28/75 audience tape sounds so good, who gives a flying fuck about the soundboard? IMO a good audience tape will beat a drier than stale melba toast soundboard tape ANY ol' day of the week...

Can you pm me a link to that?

18 hours ago, Strider said:

Not all soundboards are created equal. Not all audience tapes are created equal.

Mike Millard or the guys who recorded 3.7.70 Montreux or 9.14.71 Berkeley 1971

The 1975 soundboards are the exception to the "soundboards sound flat" rule. Bonham and Jones especially come through loud and powerful on the 1975 soundboards.

But there are ZERO listenable audience tapes available from the early 1975 concerts. Chicago barely passes the listenable test...and you still need a good pair of bootleg ears to endure the tape.

For these shows, soundboards will be the only way we get a reasonable representation of Led Zeppelin at the beginning of the 1975 tour. One listen to the Minneapolis soundboard snippet should be enough to prove that to you.

Sure there are a few audience tapes which combined throughout the entire span of Zeppelin’s career might add up to a dozen decent audience tapes and they will always be nice to have.

As you mentioned Chicago 1975, I’ll bet if we ever get soundboards of these shows 99.9% of collectors will never visit the audience tapes again.

I’ll take even a rough soundboard over a craptastic audience tape recorded from 3 miles away under a seat covered with a shirt on a radio shack deck with built in mic 

Edited by Sticks of Fire

2 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Tonight on Twitter @cdmuseumpb: 

"Mastering of Led Zeppelin 6 CD box is completed, and sound quality check is completed.
The release is in October. A talented engineer will spend a lot of time mastering. I don't compromise."

Is that in connection to the upcoming Bootleg License upgrade coming out soon maybe? Hmmm

On 9/21/2020 at 6:50 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I met one of these guys back in the 90s. He had all the heavies (basically everything on the original Tarantura label, Antrabata, Akashic, etc.), plus all the regular stuff I'd find at record shows as well. He said there were packages coming from Japan a couple of times a week. He made CD-Rs of everything I asked for just because he knew how much I was into Zep. We met in person at the '98 Page/Plant show in Cleveland and he was as cool as you'd imagine. I also asked him about what must have been some eye watering credit card bills and he said he and his wife made good money and she knew it was his hobby so she didn't give him a hard time about it. 

Ha-ha! Great story, man. I'm sure there are plenty of these "Zeppelinaires" out there. Main point is, this guy appreciated your passion for the music and was cool about spreading the wealth. I had to laugh about his wife's attitude, though. Hell,  BOTH of my wives knew Zep was my passion and my hobby, and yet neither one failed to give me a hard time about it. Then again, neither one ever accused me of making "good money," which was possibly an accurate take.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Not on this one but rumour has it that Tarantura2000 is releasing both newly mixed “Long Beach Arena Shows”, 1975-03-11 & 12

They are, coming in the next few weeks I've heard . . .basically upgrading the 12th show with the better sounding sources that aren't so bass heavy or boomy as used in Bootleg License.

• 4 weeks later...