Zeppelin/Sabbath counter part songs

McSeven

What songs do you think are counterparts to each other with Zep/Sabbath.  Like This would be Sabbath's Stairway if you will.

Zep- Communication Breakdown to Sabbath would be Paranoid.

Dazed and Confused to Sabbath would be Black Sabbath.

Whole Lotta Love to Sabbath is Iron Man.

Black Dog to Sabbath is War Pigs.

No Quater to Sabbath is Planet Caravan.

Laguna Sunrise and Bron-Yr-Aur.  I think they are different because Laguna Sunrise has the strings, but I read a review once in the 70s that said "Bron-Yr-Aur" was "Zeppelin influenced by Black Sabbath".  Of course the reviewer did not know that Bron-Yr-Aur proceeded Laguna Sunrise.   Sabbath Vol 4 had been released in Sept 1972 and PG in March 1975.  Most people at that time did not know Page had written and played Bron-Yr- Aur in 1970, but did not release it until 1975.

1 hour ago, Zep Hed said:

So how did Sabbath know about Bron-Yr-Aur? I suppose they could've heard it live?

Sabbath & Zep were friendly with each other. In particular, Plant & Bonham were childhood friends of Tony Iommi and I think Geezer Butler as well. Bonzo was best man at Tony's weeding. While Sabbath were recording Vol.4, Zep had finished Houses of the Holy and the Zep showed up to hang out. Supposedly a session was recorded but nothing has surfaced.

Kinda funny actually, Zep finished recording HOTH during July 72' and was completely mixed and ready for release by August 72' but the artwork held up release by seven months. Same thing happened with PG which was finished by Feb, and in the can (mixed and ready for release) by July 74'. Meanwhile, Sabbath finished Vol.4 by August 72' and is on the shelves by Late September 72'. Then again not much work went into the artwork for Vol.4 or any Ozzy era Sabbath albums.

1 hour ago, Zep Hed said:

So how did Sabbath know about Bron-Yr-Aur? I suppose they could've heard it live?

Sabbath & Zep were friendly with each other. In particular, Plant & Bonham were childhood friends of Tony Iommi and I think Geezer Butler as well. Bonzo was best man at Tony's weeding. While Sabbath were recording Vol.4, Zep had finished Houses of the Holy and the Zep showed up to hang out. Supposedly a session was recorded but nothing has surfaced.

Kinda funny actually, Zep finished recording HOTH during July 72' and was completely mixed and ready for release by August 72' but the artwork held up release by seven months. Same thing happened with PG which was finished by Feb, and in the can (mixed and ready for release) by July 74'. Meanwhile, Sabbath finished Vol.4 by August 72' and is on the shelves by Late September 72'. Then again not much work went into the artwork for Vol.4 or any Ozzy era Sabbath albums.

12 hours ago, John M said:

Laguna Sunrise and Bron-Yr-Aur.  I think they are different because Laguna Sunrise has the strings, but I read a review once in the 70s that said "Bron-Yr-Aur" was "Zeppelin influenced by Black Sabbath".  Of course the reviewer did not know that Bron-Yr-Aur proceeded Laguna Sunrise.   Sabbath Vol 4 had been released in Sept 1972 and PG in March 1975.  Most people at that time did not know Page had written and played Bron-Yr- Aur in 1970, but did not release it until 1975.

I think the review you are referring to is Lester Bangs' review of "Houses of the Holy" for CREEM magazine. He talked about "Rain Song" being Led Zeppelin's answer to Black Sabbath's "Laguna Sunrise"…don't have the magazine in front of me so I can't transcribe verbatim what he wrote. But that was the gist of it.

Of course, "Houses of the Holy" was already in the bag before Black Sabbath started recording "Laguna Sunrise". If it had not been for album art delays, "Houses of the Holy" would have been released in summer of 1972 and people would have been talking about "Laguna Sunrise" being influenced by "Rain Song", not the other way around.